Fall 2014 applicants??

Well, sometimes reaches pay off. Usually for other people...but hey, since you are "other" you have a pretty good shot. This is terrible, but I have been so anxious I've made my sister and her boyfriend call departments and ask questions about when acceptances will go out. I'm afraid they will recognize my voice, although rationally I know if they were going to let me in, just calling too many times wouldn't make them rescind the offer. But I'm crazy enough that it seems that way. 

Speaking of reaches, I applied to UPenn, but I have to say that grad coordinator there has been the nicest so far. I had a late LOR and she emailed me. She was just really sweet, wishing me luck and commiserating about the anxiety.

I applied to UMass Amherst for general English Lit (PhD). I may call them to see if they've gotten everything on Monday because their website is pretty unclear. It lists "resume" and "statement of purpose" separately from the general online application and has no submission date for them. I should have started calling places sooner--my Boston College notice on how to check application materials ended up in my spam, which I didn't realize until today. As a result, I didn't realize that there had been an issue in delivering my GRE scores until now. I've e-mailed GSAS admissions, but I don't have a lot of hope. I'm going to assume they've already gone over applications. :( Very upsetting.

Edited by shortstack51

I'm currently writing my thesis, too, and you are correct - Grad Cafe is a good distraction. A little too good. 

Too good, indeed. I’m wasted far more time on Grad Cafe than I ever should have. 

This is a dumb question but when they choose they probably go by disciplines right? So that they don't have like twelve renaissance people and one modernist?

This is a dumb question but when they choose they probably go by disciplines right? So that they don't have like twelve renaissance people and one modernist?

The biggest factor in PhD applications (according to the people I’ve talked to anyway) is that you are a good “fit” for the program. I don’t think it needs to be specified by discipline...more just “interest areas.” 

It might be more discipline-specific if a school that places a huge emphasis on one period of time. Take Baylor, for example. They are big into Medieval studies and Religious studies within their English department, so most candidates will probably have those qualifications/interests.

Edited by Kamisha

Makes sense. One of my professors mentioned that some programs like to keep it even each year, so that I don't have a ridiculous amount of nay specialization. I heard duke only accepted 8 last year, which makes me even more nervous, though I know it is a reach for pretty much anyone. 

Yes and no. The admissions process, according to a number of my professors who were on such committees at top 30 schools, is pretty arbitrary. Concentration is definitely a factor--but it's less about how many students they take in than how many faculty members they have to support the students they take in. However, I've also been told (again, by reliable sources) that they also expect you to switch concentrations. There are a number of people who end up switching after their first year or two. So your concentration is both important...and not.

Basically, it depends on the school, the committee, and a lot of other random factors, including the general applicant pool. A school with a strong group of Early Modernists will certainly look for Early Modern applicants, but they're also going to need a few modernists for their modernist faculty, for instance. Some schools might want a balanced program. Sometimes being the odd applicant out can work in your favor. I know a couple of PhD students at my school who are writing about comics and graphic novels, neither of which can be found listed as faculty specialties. It's most important that there are a couple of strong faculty in your concentration at whatever institutions you're applying to, but even that might not even mean anything.

The professional development person at my school told me to apply to as many top 30 schools as possible to try to statistically defeat the randomness of applying.

Makes sense. One of my professors mentioned that some programs like to keep it even each year, so that I don't have a ridiculous amount of nay specialization. I heard duke only accepted 8 last year, which makes me even more nervous, though I know it is a reach for pretty much anyone. 

How many schools did you apply to total? At top schools, there are usually between 500 and 700 applicants. However, nearly every English applicant in the country applies to those schools, so that amount pretty much represents the total applicant pool. Consequently, the more programs you can apply to, the better. Those 500 people aren't going to be applying to every single program you apply to, but they probably will to the same top schools. Also, whatever program you're graduating from can make a big difference. Top schools like Duke, Berkeley, etc. are obviously going to be really hard to get into, but if you've spread yourself out enough and have a mix of mid-level and top schools, you have a statistcally better chance of getting in. I'm applying with an MA right now and I've applied to 11 schools. My first time around, when I just had a BA, I only applied to 6 and I applied to only top 20 schools/ivies. It really messed up my chances and I ended up just getting into the MA program that I'm in now (which is, thankfully, at a well-recognized school).

Edited by shortstack51

How many schools did you apply to total? At top schools, there are usually between 500 and 700 applicants. However, nearly every English applicant in the country applies to those schools, so that amount pretty much represents the total applicant pool. Consequently, the more programs you can apply to, the better. Those 500 people aren't going to be applying to every single program you apply to, but they probably will to the same top schools. Also, whatever program you're graduating from can make a big difference. Top schools like Duke, Berkeley, etc. are obviously going to be really hard to get into, but if you've spread yourself out enough and have a mix of mid-level and top schools, you have a statistcally better chance of getting in. I'm applying with an MA right now and I've applied to 11 schools. My first time around, when I just had a BA, I only applied to 6 and I applied to only top 20 schools/ivies. It really messed up my chances and I ended up just getting into the MA program that I'm in now (which is, thankfully, at a well-recognized school).

I applied to 11. The main issue I found was finding schools with funding and faculty I could work with as my interests are fairly interdisciplinary and not many people have researched them (or so says my current professors). I'm hoping that makes me stand out in a good way, as it meant a lot of of top tier school applications. 

I submitted my app more than 10 days ago and I got two "congratulations" e-mails for just submitting my app. And today I almost had a heart attack when I saw an e-mail with the subject "Check Your Application Status"; it turned out they want me to check my app just to make sure all materials are received!!! Unbelievable  

Ahhhhhhhh!

So I'm hoping this isn't some random glitch because I haven't gotten an email or phone call or letter or anything yet, but a little while ago, I took a random glance at the results board and saw a few posts from people saying they'd been accepted at Ohio State. So I just checked my own page on the app status site and it says, "Congratulations - you have been offered admission!"

Ahhhhhhhh! *flails Kermit-style*

Congrats!

I'm in the same boat! I checked and received the same message last night, which is just peachy considering it was also my birthday. :) I am banking on it not being a glitch because it also links to a page where you can accept or deny the admission's decision with the graduate school. Though I am, too, still waiting on some more info about funding from the department!

Oh, and congrats! We might be colleagues!

Congrats as well!

are any of y'all that got offers from osu definitely accepting? cause i have already accepted the offer for their eng program. of course, i only applied to one school. 

if so, let's be fb friendsies. 

Let's just say, the program is looking better and better. Just got off the phone with the DGS, and I'll at the very least be there in March for the Open House! How about you?