Fall 2014 applicants??

I will again insert my constant advice: Just Work the Program. Meaning that you don't have to do anything special to get in, and schools aren't doing anything special to keep you out. I promise you, no adcomms are looking at the other schools you're applying to and saying, "oh, here's a good reason to exclude this person!" They don't need to find special reasons to exclude you, because the application process is brutally competitive already without having to do so. There are all sorts of conventional, boring reasons to reject people. They won't find special reasons to keep you out, I promise.

So between today and yesterday, I discovered that some of my transcripts made it to schools, and then never got attached to my files, and others made it there, and the BA got posted, but not the MA.  I did both at the same university, so they are in the same transcript, and apparently this is confusing but there's nothing I can do to differentiate.

One of the places the admissions lady told me it was their fault, and another guy told me it was mine/my university's.

Needless to say, *after* most of my deadlines, I'm suddenly finding out that my transcripts might not be where they need to be.  I am working very hard at not losing my shit.  I managed to call about 5 of the 11 universities this morning while fending off the blinding panic, but now I need to take a break and huddle under my covers having an anxiety attack.

I'm going to get rejected everywhere because my transcripts decided to live in the ether/people decided not to look at them....

Is it April yet? Please...

So between today and yesterday, I discovered that some of my transcripts made it to schools, and then never got attached to my files, and others made it there, and the BA got posted, but not the MA.  I did both at the same university, so they are in the same transcript, and apparently this is confusing but there's nothing I can do to differentiate.

One of the places the admissions lady told me it was their fault, and another guy told me it was mine/my university's.

Needless to say, *after* most of my deadlines, I'm suddenly finding out that my transcripts might not be where they need to be.  I am working very hard at not losing my shit.  I managed to call about 5 of the 11 universities this morning while fending off the blinding panic, but now I need to take a break and huddle under my covers having an anxiety attack.

I'm going to get rejected everywhere because my transcripts decided to live in the ether/people decided not to look at them....

Is it April yet? Please...

I'm literally in the same boat as you. My transcripts aren't going to get sent in on time. I only have unofficial transcripts uploaded online at this moment. I don't know what to do, and one of my deadlines is tomorrow, the 9th. I'm absolutely f****d. It's all my fault; I should've read the directions more carefully.

I'm literally in the same boat as you. My transcripts aren't going to get sent in on time. I only have unofficial transcripts uploaded online at this moment. I don't know what to do, and one of my deadlines is tomorrow, the 9th. I'm absolutely f****d. It's all my fault; I should've read the directions more carefully.

I had the same situation, it wasn't an issue at all. Just send them an email explaining. They only really need the official one if they're admitting you

How is everyone dealing with anxiety? I'm almost sure that I won't get in anywhere, and this makes me hesitant about submitting my last two apps. Does anyone feel the same?

Every damn minute of my life. At this point I want to give up and throw in the towel because I feel like I have no chance in hell anywhere. There's always the usual "what if my gpa/GRE scores are too low to even make it to the second round and i'm cut off right away" or "what if there's a chance my POIs aren't taking in students after all" or "i'm just not good enough in general and they don't think i'm going to be a good fit into a cohort and won't be able to find me one" and several other factors.

but then again all you can really do is try your best to shake off those feelings, give it your ABSOLUTE all, and finish them anyway because if these are the thoughts that are debilitating our motivation to finish even the applications, then we aren't really fit to be in grad school, as the workload will be even tougher to deal with.

so yes, i share your sentiments, but at the same time, i'm determined to finish it anyway. that's all we can really do at the end of the day.

How is everyone dealing with anxiety? I'm almost sure that I won't get in anywhere, and this makes me hesitant about submitting my last two apps. Does anyone feel the same? 

Yep. I'm having trouble motivating myself to send in my last three and as well as spend the money on apps knowing that I'm probably not getting in anywhere.

My motivation for sending in the last apps comes from numbers.

One year, I applied to 5 schools.  After 3 rejections, my shots were pretty much up.  Then the next year I applied to 8, and even though I still failed miserably, after 3 rejections I wasn't even halfway through, and it was much easier to stay hopeful.  This round, I'm going for 11, because I'm spreading out my chances...and because I like things to filter by a bit more slowly.

Not to mention, if I don't submit them, then the nameless villains that I build up in my head that are the adcomms, who sit around laughing evilly at application piles, have already won.  If I don't send stuff in, I can't get anywhere.

My motivation for sending in the last apps comes from numbers.

One year, I applied to 5 schools.  After 3 rejections, my shots were pretty much up.  Then the next year I applied to 8, and even though I still failed miserably, after 3 rejections I wasn't even halfway through, and it was much easier to stay hopeful.  This round, I'm going for 11, because I'm spreading out my chances...and because I like things to filter by a bit more slowly.

Not to mention, if I don't submit them, then the nameless villains that I build up in my head that are the adcomms, who sit around laughing evilly at application piles, have already won.  If I don't send stuff in, I can't get anywhere.

You've applied to programs 3 years in a row already?

I think that's heroic. This is my second round of apps and I don't think I'll be able to do a third one. My husband has been quite patient and supportive, but suggesting ti apply for a third year? I don't think so. He'll just say that we have a life to live and we can't continue wasting year after year of our lives trying to get accepted somewhere. The thing is that my job already requires me to get a PhD and I can get it from here of course, but I don't want to, cuz there is a huge gap between here and there in regards to education. So, I'll pray every night to get an acceptance somewhere this year or else .... :(

You've applied to programs 3 years in a row already?

Well...this is my third round... much to my shame.

I should probably start taking a hint.  Getting up the motivation to keep doing them is a bitch.  But I can't.  Teaching university-level is what I want to do, and this is the way it has to get done.  Not to mention, I miss being a student.

So I keep switching things up, trying new programs. I retook the GRE this round, did more work on the WS... so we shall see.  It's still January--after you get over the immediate post-submission "I'm screwed," it's the easiest month in which to be hopeful.

Reapplying is no shame, especially in today's cut-throat times. If I counted *all* my applications, including the time I was accepted to and enrolled in my MA program, then I had three rounds too, with the last one finally favoring me. But I think that's the key lesson I learned: if you're going to reapply, make sure you're actually doing something over the intervening time. Whether that means completing an MA program, or drastically revising/overhauling your approach and work, the time has to be productively used so you can become a more compelling applicant. 

Oh well I'm not knocking on anyone's multiple attempts...far as I know I'll probably be in the same boat as well. I just had no idea, and I find it surprising that there haven't been acceptances yet...that makes me question MY abilities as student, because you all seem so very bright and it's ridiculous that you had to reapply! If you're on the struggle bus, then I wonder where THAT places me!

And why other majors like Chemistry, Psychology and even linguistics, notify applicants so early?? It kills me..

Programs that are more about the numbers I'm guessing can move through applications faster and thus notify their applicants earlier. Chemistry, Biology, Psychology programs are much more likely to have hard cut-offs right off the bat as far as evaluating applications. If a program gets 500 applications and can eliminate 250 of them based on GRE score alone, they're already well ahead of English. Also, don't deadlines for the sciences at least tend to be a bit earlier?

Oh well I'm not knocking on anyone's multiple attempts...far as I know I'll probably be in the same boat as well. I just had no idea, and I find it surprising that there haven't been acceptances yet...that makes me question MY abilities as student, because you all seem so very bright and it's ridiculous that you had to reapply! If you're on the struggle bus, then I wonder where THAT places me!

It's not surprising at all. It's not even halfway through January! Classes have resumed here since we're on the quarter system, but I know a lot of universities are still on break and will be for the next two or three weeks. If you're resigned to checking the Results Search page - still I advise, stay away if you can! - you can look at past years and see that mid-Jan is the very earliest (so next week sometime), with early February being really when the madness starts.  :mellow:

Good luck everyone! I'm sure your applications are wonderful!

Many,  many of you are not going to hear from some of your most important programs until the middle of March. You have to find a way to cool out.

And adding on to this: very, very few schools in general will notify before February.  This is likely the only time you'll be able to relax until April 15, so please try to take advantage of it.  You will need that rest to help maintain your sanity through February and March.

Well, just submitted my 3rd app at precisely 3:47 PM after hours and hours of double, triple, quadruple checking and final touches to polish some turd. 

Can't look back now. Paid the app fee in full, received the confirmation email that enthusiastically told me how they look forward to reviewing my application.

And now, the waiting/crying game. I called the school earlier yesterday and they told me they don't send out admission results till at least mid-March. 

Until then....I guess I can just have nightmares for the time being.

I must admit, as a fellow freak-outer, that I don't get it.  I'm super stoked that I made it this far.  It's just a thing I managed to get through.  I'll view hearing back from schools as a very good surprise.  And this does not mean that I am not serious about the process.  I'll be doing a lot in the meantime.

Finishing two of my final applications to submit tonight.

Also still freaking out over the fact that one of my recommenders submitted a few of her letters an entire month late, despite my attempts to stay in touch with her, send her kind reminder emails, etc. I'm terrified it will wreck my already slim chances.

I almost had a small heart attack last night after receiving an email from a school that I applied to roughly a month ago that started with... "We appreciate your interest in the English department." Mind you, this email came in at around 1am as I was falling asleep. Luckily, it ended up essentially just being a generic status update, but it definitely threw me off for a minute.