Fall 2014 applicants??

Shucks I just got an email from a Uni... I forgot to send my official scores. 

DAMN! 

own worst enemy... 

I sent the official scores and an email. 

Such Is Life.

I figure since most apps required us to put our scores in our apps ourselves, there might be so room for error?

Question: one of my GRE scores reports did not go out for some reason. I have it as ordered, but as it apparently didn't get there or there was a mix up, I sent another one. Should I bother calling the school and explain, or should I just accept that I'm going to get outright rejected as the deadline was a few weeks ago? Are the GREs that big of deal if already reported on my application? 

I saw that this was for Irvine, but I have also sent my GRE scores to Berkeley twice now and they still aren't showing as "received" -- maybe it's just a UC thing?

I saw that this was for Irvine, but I have also sent my GRE scores to Berkeley twice now and they still aren't showing as "received" -- maybe it's just a UC thing?

This one I might be a little more concerned about as they update their website fairly regularly and tend to post admissions/rejections notifications during the first or second week of February. Plus, they average between 600-700 applications every year, so they are less likely to contact applicant with missing info.

I would call them on Monday. They are actually really nice to talk to. My GRE scores hadn’t posted by the end of December, so I called them and we made sure everything was in the clear. With Berkeley, I’d always say better safe than sorry. 

Whoever was dealing with Irvine, I sympathize. I called about a week ago becasue one of my LOR writers was in an accident and was told they didn't have my transcripts either. The grad coordinator basically said they wouldn't even review the application and it was too late to send them in. (WTF???? WHY WOULD YOU TELL STUDENTS NOT TO CONTACT YOU BEFORE FEB 1, BUT THROW THEIR APPS OUT BEFORE THEN???) I mean, this guy was adamant that there was no way they would even look at my app. On the off chance it would do something I emailed the admissions chair (Jerome Christensen) who was really nice and told me they would consider my application. In fact, he said several people on the committee had expressed interest and were disappointed that my app was incomplete. (which completely contradicts what the grad coordinator told me).

I was  told to get everything in on Jan 21st becasue that was the admissions meeting.

Of course, this was at 3 on Friday, Jan 21 was a Tuesday and that Monday was MLK day. So I panicked, trying to think of any way to get my transcripts on time. Once again the grad. coordinator told me If I couldn't get them in by 8 am on Jan 21 I was screwed. After having a nervous breakdown, I emailed Prof. Christensen again and he told me not to worry about it, they would still review the app.

At any rate, I was told the FINAL meeting was on Jan 21. But based on previous years and the fact NO ONE has heard yet, I'm questioning that. But I don't know. The weird thing is, Irvine had my GRE scores right away. I never even sent them from ETS. In fact, I got an email inviting me to apply--but I don't know that it was specific to English. I did get a 169V, but my quant and analytical were terrible (although I kind of flouted the analytical on purpose because it was so stupid and I know it means nothing.)

Ok--off topic. If anyone hears anything from Irvine please post!

Whoever was dealing with Irvine, I sympathize. I called about a week ago becasue one of my LOR writers was in an accident and was told they didn't have my transcripts either. The grad coordinator basically said they wouldn't even review the application and it was too late to send them in. (WTF???? WHY WOULD YOU TELL STUDENTS NOT TO CONTACT YOU BEFORE FEB 1, BUT THROW THEIR APPS OUT BEFORE THEN???) I mean, this guy was adamant that there was no way they would even look at my app. On the off chance it would do something I emailed the admissions chair (Jerome Christensen) who was really nice and told me they would consider my application. In fact, he said several people on the committee had expressed interest and were disappointed that my app was incomplete. (which completely contradicts what the grad coordinator told me).

I was  told to get everything in on Jan 21st becasue that was the admissions meeting.

Of course, this was at 3 on Friday, Jan 21 was a Tuesday and that Monday was MLK day. So I panicked, trying to think of any way to get my transcripts on time. Once again the grad. coordinator told me If I couldn't get them in by 8 am on Jan 21 I was screwed. After having a nervous breakdown, I emailed Prof. Christensen again and he told me not to worry about it, they would still review the app.

At any rate, I was told the FINAL meeting was on Jan 21. But based on previous years and the fact NO ONE has heard yet, I'm questioning that. But I don't know. The weird thing is, Irvine had my GRE scores right away. I never even sent them from ETS. In fact, I got an email inviting me to apply--but I don't know that it was specific to English. I did get a 169V, but my quant and analytical were terrible (although I kind of flouted the analytical on purpose because it was so stupid and I know it means nothing.)

I'm hoping that because GREs are self-reported on the app that they'll still consider it. Maybe I'll call monday and check. Does anyone know if the GREs are electronically sent or sent via mail?

I'm hoping that because GREs are self-reported on the app that they'll still consider it. Maybe I'll call monday and check. Does anyone know if the GREs are electronically sent or sent via mail?

They are sent via mail =/ I’m sure things will be okay. 

I wonder then if I can pay extra to have it sent sooner. Last time I called the GRE center they are completely unhelpful. I hate having to pay for the test then 25 dollars per school to send the report.

I was also recruited by Irvine based on GRE scores. As such, I called to see if I still needed to send mine. The department told me that they don’t have your actual GRE scores when they recruit you; they receive a list from ETS for students who score in the 90th percentile or above. You are still required to send them in.

If they already had yours, that is an awesome bonus. :) I wonder how that happened. 

I wonder then if I can pay extra to have it sent sooner. Last time I called the GRE center they are completely unhelpful. I hate having to pay for the test then 25 dollars per school to send the report.

Ugh. I feel for you. 

Thanks for all the advice/support guys :) I really do love the program there, so I'm hoping it isn't too late. Idk how I didn't realize they didn't receive it until now. I'm just glad I caught it.

Now I'm scared about the GRE scores. But on the application tracker it says the have arrived. It is possible that the grad coordinator has been on "opposite day" for an extended period of time. He gave me completely false information, more than once. If you still need to send in materials and the grad coordinator tells you it's a waste of time, I'd go over his head to Professor Christensen. His email is jchris@uci.edu--I've emailed him so many times I'm embarrassed.

Now I'm scared about the GRE scores. But on the application tracker it says the have arrived. It is possible that the grad coordinator has been on "opposite day" for an extended period of time. He gave me completely false information, more than once. If you still need to send in materials and the grad coordinator tells you it's a waste of time, I'd go over his head to Professor Christensen. His email is jchris@uci.edu--I've emailed him so many times I'm embarrassed.

Your application tracker lists your GRE?? Weird. Mine just says my application is “being reviewed” and asks me to list my “Degree Goal” and indicate if “Aid is Requested” (Fellowships). Below that, there is a transcript section, but absolutely nothing about GRE scores. Hmm...

Thank you! I think perhaps I'll call Monday and if the grad coordinator says it'll be an issue, I'll email Professor Christensen.

I honestly would probably email the graduate coordinator (Michael Bourne) first. Departments don’t really like when you email them unsolicited, unless the graduate school advises you to do so. 

There are 3 different application trackers--one I think is for undergrad. But there is the gateway one we were referred to and another one that is called something like Application Review Portal (ARP). But now that I think about it, it was the grad coordinator who told me they had my scores. Plus Prof. Christensen told me nothing else was missing in one of his emails. I'll go check and post the link.

Yeah that is what I mean. I'll call the graduate coordinator and if he says I'm out of luck, I'll go from there. I mean, at that point, I have nothing to lose. 

Yeah that is what I mean. I'll call the graduate coordinator and if he says I'm out of luck, I'll go from there. I mean, at that point, I have nothing to lose. 

I don’t think you’ll be out of luck. I honestly think you’ll be fine if you contact them :)

Here is the link: https://services.adcom.uci.edu/approgress/progress/viewApplication.htm you need to use the user name and password from you online app. It does give the GRE scores, though. 

I’d never received that link before, but I logged in and verified that all my stuff was correct. Thanks for sending it out! 

BTW, when I looked at the results from last year for English at Irvine it seemed they came later, at least the middle of Feb. But it was pretty clear the final meeting was the 21st. So I don't understand the hold up anyway. 

BTW, when I looked at the results from last year for English at Irvine it seemed they came later, at least the middle of Feb. But it was pretty clear the final meeting was the 21st. So I don't understand the hold up anyway. 

It’s possible that the department decides on the candidates they want to accept at the end of January. After the department signs off, however, the graduate school must, as well. That might be the reason why it takes a bit longer on average.

Horb--whatever you do, do not call the grad coordinator about the late stuff.  He will shoot you down. When I emailed Prof. Christensen, I pointed out that it was really unfair to penalize us for anything that was late as 1) the application checker pretty much guaranteed its own inaccuracy (due to the amount of materials, this website is 3 weeks behind--or something like that) 2) If the tracker thing is completely unreliable AND we are not to call the Dept until Feb 1st, there is effectively NO WAY of knowing whether anything got there. I'd just briefly mention that because it sort of puts them in the position of fault and I would think they would be more likely to give you leeway.