Fall 2014 applicants??

As seems to be the perpetual case, I am in need of advice from you lovely folks.

So one of my recommenders submitted his letter to the electronic system, but apparently it didn't take, because Thursday the grad advisor Emailed me to say she was missing one of my letters. It was fine--she was still willing to take it.  I told her that there must've been a mix-up, and she was very nice and understanding.

I immediately Emailed my LoR writer and asked him to send his letter to her directly.  But now... I have not heard from either of them.  I don't know if I should Email him again, if I should send her an Email just saying that I'm trying to get a hold of him, or if that would be annoying...

I don't want this chance to slip away--I love this university.  But I don't know what to do, especially since my writer is not answering my Email, and the semester does not start for his school until next Monday.

Thoughts welcome.

11? It almost killed me just to apply to 3 schools, I just submitted my last two yesterday. I hated myself for having to wait for the last minute cuz I had a problem in paying online, and a problem with my LOR writers. How late after the deadline can my letters be sent? I hope more than a week!

Anyone applying to UFlorida? You have to paste in your essay from a word processor but it doesn't allow underlining, so they recommend that you keep the formatting as simple as possible. I'm debating whether to remove some sentences that contain underlined book titles...

Guys, 

I am going CRAZY waiting to hear back from PhD programs. I’m losing sleep over it. Even when I’m busy at work on my MA thesis and teaching composition, I am always anxious to get home and check my email for any news.

How are you coping? Any methods?

I applied to fourteen schools and submitted my final app on December 10th, so I’ve already been waiting for nearly six weeks and know that I likely won’t START hearing anything for another two to four weeks :( Boo. It feels like a lifetime. 

Yes, waiting sucks. I can't get myself to focus on anything now. Even when I'm working, I keep checking my e-mail and the Results page. I'm planning to take a 10-15 days  trip by the end of this month, where I won't be able to check my e-mail. I hope this works. Getting in anywhere for me will completely change my life, so, I'm keeping my fingers crossed until that day comes, hopefully.  

Yoga. Socializing. Netflix/TV. Gym/running. Meditation. Fill up the hours! January is more than halfway over! 

I've given myself time markers unrelated to the outcome of my apps to help pass the time. In February I'm getting a tattoo I've wanted for a long time. In April I'm cutting all my hair off. In June I'm buying myself something I've had my eyes on for months. In July I'm running a half marathon! I find having goals during and after the time you're supposed to to hear back helps keeping perspective and making it through. Also going to the gym cause HELLO ENDORPHINS.

Anyone applying to UFlorida? You have to paste in your essay from a word processor but it doesn't allow underlining, so they recommend that you keep the formatting as simple as possible. I'm debating whether to remove some sentences that contain underlined book titles...

MLA formatting doesn't use underlining anymore, they go with italics. That said, I don't think you can use italics on an online input either so, ya...

Yoga. Socializing. Netflix/TV. Gym/running. Meditation. Fill up the hours! January is more than halfway over! 

I've given myself time markers unrelated to the outcome of my apps to help pass the time. In February I'm getting a tattoo I've wanted for a long time. In April I'm cutting all my hair off. In June I'm buying myself something I've had my eyes on for months. In July I'm running a half marathon! I find having goals during and after the time you're supposed to to hear back helps keeping perspective and making it through. Also going to the gym cause HELLO ENDORPHINS.

I need to be more like you.

I need to be more like you.

Well, the truth of the matter is I'm unemployed and living at my mom's house at the moment, so if I didn't do those things all I would have in my life would be job applications and refreshing my gmail. As it is I already spend too much time on those things :P

Well, the truth of the matter is I'm unemployed and living at my mom's house at the moment, so if I didn't do those things all I would have in my life would be job applications and refreshing my gmail. As it is I already spend too much time on those things :P

You got an interview at UCSC? Sweet, that was where I did my undergrad and I'm applying for an MA at their Humanities department as well. 

Do you guys find it weird that most Humanities programs (at least the ones I've applied to) don't ask for interviews? Or maybe they do, and I'm seeing these "interview seasons" topics (albeit most are science related fields) and I'm getting prettyyyyyyyy nervous...

You got an interview at UCSC? Sweet, that was where I did my undergrad and I'm applying for an MA at their Humanities department as well. 

Do you guys find it weird that most Humanities programs (at least the ones I've applied to) don't ask for interviews? Or maybe they do, and I'm seeing these "interview seasons" topics (albeit most are science related fields) and I'm getting prettyyyyyyyy nervous...

I've heard that some programs do, but it's not all that common. For the most part I'm relieved that we don't have to…. but any news would be better than waiting for another month. Oof.