Fall 2014 applicants??

It seems like all the programs that have begun to notify are very high-ranking ones.  Interesting. 

Anyway, my GRE score is absolutely not stellar, but I did break the equivalent of "1200 on the old scale."

I'm also a person who does pretty well on math (for an English major).  I'd actually rather my math score be lower and give some of the points to my verbal. 

You got those scores too??? Whoa! Weird! Lol

The nerd in me wants to know if we all missed the same questions lol

I thought I would do well on math, considering I went through multi variable calculus, but I did abysmal. Lol. I got 25%. Woot woot!

I've always been terrible at math, so hitting 18% was a near miracle lol.

Yeah my math was absolutely atrocious. It was my own doing though. When taking the exam, I focused only on verbal. I hate math and half way through my test (during the 10 minute break) it froze and I freaked out. It took forever to the proctor to realize I was raising my hand and I was worried it'd disqualify me or something. 

Also: YAY TRIPLETS :)

Edited by Horb

I got lucky. For what it’s worth, I absolutely bombed my subject test and had to cut all of the schools that required it off my list (though I kept Berkeley on there purely because I’m a masochist). 

I saw someone got into Boston College. Has anyone else heard back?

I haven't heard anything either. Anyone remember if they do all their calling in one day?

On the subject of scores, my verbal was decent at 93 ((though apparently yall are GRE wizards), but my math was...unbelievably bad at 13.  I'd like to blame it on the fact that my calculator was broken (had to use an accessible one that didn't work), but I can't because I realized that I got the same percentile when I took the test last.

AW went pretty well though. Subject was fairly middle of the road.  So I was willing to take the decent verbal, and refused to retake it for a bad math score that wouldn't change anyway--I had to fight and claw to get anything above a D in high school.  Math is *not* my calling. lol

Edited by Katia_chan

I was so angry with the test. Everything I read told me it'd be mainly on 17th to 19th century England. I had so many questions that were world lit or american. And I'm fine with those, but I didn't study them as much. And this info was gathered from ETS and those stupid books they sold. I was so happy I took Middle English because I had a few questions on translation. 

I hear a lot of people bomb the subject test! So you are not in the minority. I took some of the subject practice tests and it seemed ridiculous! Undergraduate does not nearly cover all the literature present on that test.

Glad this seems to be the general consensus haha. I also bombed it pretty terribly. Mine was mostly medievalist stuff, Horb. You'd have aced it.

Ooops--I actually read the post. You guys are math geniuses! I had a 99 in verbal but like a 56 in math. Granted I didn't study at all. I was under the impression nothing mattered but the verbal! Am I wrong here? I don't think the subject test matters much, either. If they are looking for well rounded, I'm screwed

Ooops--I actually read the post. You guys are math geniuses! I had a 99 in verbal but like a 56 in math. Granted I didn't study at all. I was under the impression nothing mattered but the verbal! Am I wrong here? I don't think the subject test matters much, either. If they are looking for well rounded, I'm screwed

Nah, neither one (math or subject) really matters THAT much. For what it's worth, you did better than me on math and verbal, and I also bombed the subject test! I think we'll all be fine :)

Edited by despejado

One of my friends a perfect score on the verbal. I'm not sure what she got on the writing and math though.

I didn't even bother with the subject test since most of the schools I was interested in didn't require. I've heard that most people do terribly on it, so I wasn't especially worried about doing well. I just couldn't spend the money. The content I've seen kind of reminds me of the Praxis II English test I had to take when I was becoming an English teacher in undergrad. I did way better on that test than I expected, which is especially funny to me because the first time I took the Praxis 1, I failed the math section by 5 points. So I had to take the math again and ended up passing by 4 points. If I didn't already hate standardized tests before then, I certainly would've hated them after that experience.

I had a TA who said they expect you to fail the subject pretty much if you're taking it out of undergrad. She took it after her MA and got upper 600s which is apparently where they want MAs to be (for programs that care). It is funny reading some of the Ivy views on it. Some absolutely hate it and others want it. 

What do you guys think about the concept of “implied rejection?” I find myself saying it a lot lately in reference to my own applications. I’ve only received one official rejection, but I’m assuming five more right now and it SUCKS. 

What do you guys think about the concept of “implied rejection?” I find myself saying it a lot lately in reference to my own applications. I’ve only received one official rejection, but I’m assuming five more right now and it SUCKS. 

I have two implied rejections and absolutely nothing else, so that's pretty weird for me. Hoping they're rolling admissions but I know they're not, so I've pretty much crossed those two off.