Fall 2014 applicants??

I won't do it then. Question about POIs: my advisor told me not to choose one and plop them in my SOP because she said they'll just weed them out easier. As in, if 5 apply to work with the wonderful Nancy Armstrong, they won't choose all five, so it is best to stay a bit more general. Did anyone else hear this?

I didn’t hear this, but it makes sense. I typically listed two or three people and the reasons I wanted to work with them. Who knows? Maybe that screwed me.  

Okay, I take the bit about Vanderbilt back. I just got into UCSD.... I'm completely freaking out.  :blink:

Congrats! UCSD is one that I was really interested in, but I didn't quite think it was the best fit for my interests. I love San Diego though :D.

I won't do it then. Question about POIs: my advisor told me not to choose one and plop them in my SOP because she said they'll just weed them out easier. As in, if 5 apply to work with the wonderful Nancy Armstrong, they won't choose all five, so it is best to stay a bit more general. Did anyone else hear this?

I didn't hear that specifically, but I heard a lot of mixed messaging regarding whether or not they should be contacted and/or mentioned in the SOP. So I just decided to err on the side of caution and not mention anybody. Though I did talk about work I saw professors doing in the departments in a more abstract sense. I do know there are some schools that require you to mention them though.

Congrats! UCSD is one that I was really interested in, but I didn't quite think it was the best fit for my interests. I love San Diego though :D.

I didn't hear that specifically, but I heard a lot of mixed messaging regarding whether or not they should be contacted and/or mentioned in the SOP. So I just decided to err on the side of caution and not mention anybody. Though I did talk about work I saw professors doing in the departments in a more abstract sense. I do know there are some schools that require you to mention them though.

That's exactly what I did! I just stated that I enjoyed that their faculty worked on these interesting topics and mentioned why I'd fit well. 

1.  A little parable about "fit":  One male talking to another about the object of his affections:

Male 1:  I just love her.  I know we would make a great couple.

Male 2:  What makes you think so?

Male 1:  She has blonde hair.  I love girls with blonde hair!

[Later, the object of Male 1's affections is talking to Male 2 about Male 1]:  I don't think we have much in common.

2.  If you receive a request for hard copies of your transcripts, you are in (unless the unofficial copies you submitted with your transcript were fraudulent).  

Universities are like corporations, and to understand how they operate, try think like a corporation.  One main concern of corporations is what they call "controls":  Ie, they put systems in place that are designed to prevent the corporation from making mistakes that make it look bad, paying out money that it isn't obligated to pay out, etc.

Here's how I think it works in the grad school application context:  The university is mostly content to have departments to make decisions as to whom they want to accept, and they want the process to be as simple as possible, without generating excess paperwork that needs to be filed, kept track of, etc.  Hence, in most cases, no official transcripts are asked for at the start.  But when it comes time to make offers of funding (i.e., committing university funds), then the corporate governance system wants to make sure that offers are not made on the basis of transcripts that have not been officially certified.  So, if they ask you for official transcripts, they are probably at the stage where they are going to the graduate school administration to ask them for funding of some kind, awards, fellowships, etc.

3.  Although we may have little else on our minds besides graduate school acceptances, the departments themselves, and individual professors in particular, have lots of other things on their minds.  This afternoon's lecture.  Tonight's hot date with a colleague from the computer science department.  Taking time to pay one's monthly bills.  So, it really shouldn't be surprising if not all decisions are made at once, or, even if they are, if not all notifications are made at once.  

Ie, surprising as it may seem, it's really not all about us.

Thank you! :D Now I have at least one admit and can breathe somewhat freely. I actually think UCSD is the one school that fits my interests best because I don't want to give up cultural studies.

I took the other approach and identified multiple POI in my SoP because that's what I felt made sense for me.

I took the other approach and identified multiple POI in my SoP because that's what I felt made sense for me.

That's what I did. I usually mentioned 3 or 4 people who I would like to work with and why.

That's what I did. I usually mentioned 3 or 4 people who I would like to work with and why.

Same here. For a lot of the applications, it seemed like that was what the statement of purpose was supposed to be doing--in fact, a few of them actually said to mention people. 

I was told to mention people. I also found some sample SOPs online from the UC schools, and one successful applicant listed 2-3 people and talked about their work, so that's what I did. I mentioned 2-3, read some of their work, and wrote about how these individuals might help my own work. However, I was instructed not to phrase it as, "I would like to work with so and so" for reasons stated before (ie, 5 people wanting to work with the same person). I kept it general at, "I would enjoy speaking with/conversing with/etc such and such professor about..." so that I wouldn't be boxed out due to my POI not being available.

Not sure if this was the right decision, but I guess we'll see. I haven't heard back from anywhere really out of 11 schools. One implied rejection so far from BC but that's it.

Edited by shortstack51

Annnnd I just got the official email from Ohio State. Granted, the DGS called me a week ago and gave me some info, but this is much more detailed (includes some funding info, the schedule for the visit day, etc). Huzzah!

Congrats!  Did you receive any information that all decisions have been made/sent out?

I was told to mention people. I also found some sample SOPs online from the UC schools, and one successful applicant listed 2-3 people and talked about their work, so that's what I did. I mentioned 2-3, read some of their work, and wrote about how these individuals might help my own work. However, I was instructed not to phrase it as, "I would like to work with so and so" for reasons stated before (ie, 5 people wanting to work with the same person). I kept it general at, "I would enjoy speaking with/conversing with/etc such and such professor about..." so that I wouldn't be boxed out due to my POI not being available.

Not sure if this was the right decision, but I guess we'll see. I haven't heard back from anywhere really out of 11 schools. One implied rejection so far from BC but that's it.

I mentioned a few people as well for the most part. Some programs that were a very general spectrum, I didn't, but most yes, I did mention a few professors whose research REALLY stood out to me and were studies and mentorship I believed would benefit me.

I had professors all advise me to mention a few POIs. One teacher I had who's in with the adcomm board for the school I'm applying to says it's helped past applicants more than it has hurt them. "Just do whatever you can to get your name out there and tossed around somehow," was what she told me.

Fingers crossed.

How comprehensive does fit have to be with a POI in this situation? I found very few profs actually working with interests that felt extremely close to mine, so I did name some profs with a lot of experience and slightly less related interests than I might have liked. Is this horrible?

I heard this...my department chair suggested listing multiple names, that way they know you're flexible and also you don't make yourself quite as vulnerable to department politics. Still, I'm fairly sure that the ad comm realizes that every Victorianist applying wants to work with Nancy Armstrong ;)

Congrats!  Did you receive any information that all decisions have been made/sent out?

Thanks! I did not receive any specific info of that nature. They did say that we had until the standard April 15th deadline to decide if we wish to attend OSU, so I imagine that if people end up on a waitlist, then there's a fair amount of wiggle room for the next couple of months. The letter did mention that they anticipate having an incoming cohort of about 20 students, but I don't know how many they've already extended offers to.

Edited by escapingindiana

How comprehensive does fit have to be with a POI in this situation? I found very few profs actually working with interests that felt extremely close to mine, so I did name some profs with a lot of experience and slightly less related interests than I might have liked. Is this horrible?

I don't think the fit needs to be exact. I think it's most important to display that you would get something out of being at that specific program (as far as I have been informed by my school's adcomm and having gone through this process more than once). My interest is the subject/object relationship in Romantic poetry with a secondary interest in Queer Theory. There were very few people who do all of those things...so I looked for Romanticists who discussed the subject/object relationship and Queer Theorists (if there were any--looking at you, Harvard...) who also discussed subject/object. Not difficult, since Romantic subjectivity is a decently large research area and "unhistorical" Queer Theory tends to discuss subjectivity as well.

Basically, I think it's just important that there's one area of overlap somewhere. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but sometimes being the "odd one out" works well. There are two PhD students at my school doing their dissertations on graphic novels. We don't have any faculty who have done any kind of work on graphic novels or comics, but obviously these students got accepted with funding despite that...or perhaps because of it (they also had some kind of secondary interest--ie, Victorian lit).

Still no word from NYU. I'm getting pretty nervous :S 

Me too, but it's a good kind of nervous because at least no one else has started hearing back either. A lot of my schools started reporting back at the end of the first week of February last year, so I'm a ball of anxiety in general. So close, but yet so far from knowing.

Either that or maybe they're having a hard time deciding this year?

I had no idea they extended the deadline. I was working like crazy to make sure it was in considering the app was unavailable two days before the due date. Glad to know I had nothing to worry about, I guess.

Edited by shortstack51

I hate the whole "fit" idea-- so many people change their minds after they are admitted anyway. One of my favorite professors at UW-Madison was the chair of grad admissions for a few years ( and I've heard various versions of this), he said: once you get to the top 50 applicants you might as well draw numbers, because they are all qualified and interesting. So, it comes down to luck-- at least a lot of it does. Unfortunately, I feel pretty unlucky.

I have a bad feeling about Irvine. After hearing that there was initial interest, I emailed the department a few times ( because of lost materials and incorrect test information) and have not heard back at all. I'm afraid they are not responding anymore because they decided on rejection. This whole thing is driving me crazy. The application status still lists an LOR as missing, even though I know it was sent. I'm too scared to call the department cause I don't want to hear bad news. Any thoughts?

I hate the whole "fit" idea-- so many people change their minds after they are admitted anyway. One of my favorite professors at UW-Madison was the chair of grad admissions for a few years ( and I've heard various versions of this), he said: once you get to the top 50 applicants you might as well draw numbers, because they are all qualified and interesting. So, it comes down to luck-- at least a lot of it does. Unfortunately, I feel pretty unlucky.

I have a bad feeling about Irvine. After hearing that there was initial interest, I emailed the department a few times ( because of lost materials and incorrect test information) and have not heard back at all. I'm afraid they are not responding anymore because they decided on rejection. This whole thing is driving me crazy. The application status still lists an LOR as missing, even though I know it was sent. I'm too scared to call the department cause I don't want to hear bad news. Any thoughts?

Apparently some schools view the SOP as mostly an exercise because they don't really believe that you'll actually hold the same interests by the time you start writing your dissertation. They want you to be able to imagine having a "fit" and the inkling of a dissertation topic, but still expect you to change your mind.

I'm sorry you're experiencing so much anxiety :( It can take them 2-4 weeks to update your application after receiving your materials so I wouldn't fret too much about it not being listed. Does Irvine have issues if you call? There should be a number listed somewhere, maybe for general Graduate Admissions, where you can call to confirm they received your LOR.

Any Purdue applicants around? Just wondering if I was alone in getting the "your application file is being reviewed" email from the department? Also a large section about how rolling admissions works, seemed like a polite way to say "please don't call us".

I applied to Purdue and did not get this email. However, they requested official transcripts from me about 2 weeks ago. Whatever that means.

Thanks for the kind words, shortstack. I'm afraid of the grad coordinator-- seriously-- so I am hesitant to call. I guess I could make someone do it for me, but that seems a bit too cowardly. So, I choose to suffer in silence ( well not silence-- actually I probably bring it up every 30 seconds). I'm glad I don't really have to listen to myself...