Wet or Dry Food?

^ Rather odd. I hope you started her, or tried to, early on? Sometimes kittens don't want to change their habits later on. Our cats are 3 years old and 8 months old respectively, and both are maniacal over wet food. They are both indoor cats.

We had the opposite problem with our cat - he kept throwing up dry food. He's a brat and only accepts Trader Joe's wet (or Fancy Feast, but TJ's was our cost-effective compromise).

Dry food is generally cheaper and more convenient for you and may be good for their teeth (though actually there have been some studies disputing that it really makes a difference), but wet food is healthier overall for their bones and muscles, as well as for avoiding bladder and kidney problems, diabetes, and dehydration. They're also way more likely to become overweight on dry food.

^ Rather odd. I hope you started her, or tried to, early on? Sometimes kittens don't want to change their habits later on. Our cats are 3 years old and 8 months old respectively, and both are maniacal over wet food. They are both indoor cats.

She was a rescue cat, so I presume that has something to do with it. She's a bit traumatized (though WAY better now) and wouldn't let us touch her for a really long time, and didn't eat anything at all for the first THREE weeks that we had her. Part of the reason I haven't tried extra hard to get her onto wet food is that it's been such hard work to get her to trust us that I worry about making changes etc. She's almost a normal cat now, nearly two years after we got her, but still....only kibble. 

Edited by wreckofthehope

Dry food is generally cheaper and more convenient for you and may be good for their teeth (though actually there have been some studies disputing that it really makes a difference), but wet food is healthier overall for their bones and muscles, as well as for avoiding bladder and kidney problems, diabetes, and dehydration. They're also way more likely to become overweight on dry food.

Yeah, that's what I've read, which is partly why I would love to get her eating some wet food. She doesn't drink all that much water, either, despite me emptying and refilling her water bowl twice a day (I though maybe she was not drinking that much because she was picky about the temperature/staleness of the water).

She was a rescue cat, so I presume that has something to do with it. She's a bit traumatized (though WAY better now) and wouldn't let us touch her for a really long time, and didn't eat anything at all for the first THREE weeks that we had her. Part of the reason I haven't tried extra hard to get her onto wet food is that it's been such hard work to get her to trust us that I worry about making changes etc. She's almost a normal cat now, nearly two years after we got her, but still....only kibble. 

Every rescue I have had has had stomach issues. It could be that she has a food allergy (odd for a cat, but I've had two with these issues). Get her some sensitive stomach Hills diet type food.

Dry food/weight gain is a very serious problem. Cats are not meant, naturally, to be fat, sedentary creatures. Yet this is the life many indoor cats mature into, thanks to our habits of feeding them carb-heavy, corn-meal-stuffed kibbles bought from grocery stores. Please take their food seriously. The best food is grain/meal-free (dry) mixed with wet food. If your cat has a visible "pouch" of fat hanging from his/her stomach, that needs to go. 

Don't go putting Ms. Kitty on a crash diet though! It can lead to liver failure, malnutrition and eventual death from hepatic lipidosis (or feline fatty liver disease, if you're nasty). Gradual weight loss is best. Talk to your vet, etc etc.

She loves the smell of red wine. Is this normal?

I don't know if it's "normal", but it's at least not unique. My cat has an annoying habit of trying to stick his whole head into a wine glass if it sits on a table for too long.