Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Thanks!

I'm still working on a few of my applications that aren't due until December 15th, but I had all the 12/1-ish ones in a couple of weeks ago. The schools all say to get them in as early as possible-- how early (or not) are other people submitting them? First time applicant here.

I'm following the "nothing makes you more productive than the last minute" philosophy ^^ More seriously, with work and the lack of liquidity in my bank account till two more days, I'm cutting it quite thin for the Dec 15 deadlines. More prepared for the few Jan ones.

Last year I waited until the day before/day of for them, but this year - partially because I have a lot more free time on a scholarship abroad with fewer responsibilities - I will be getting them all in sometime this week. I've written all my SOPs, I just want to let them sit a few days. I'll re-read them probably two at a time and clean up. 

I'm getting all of them in the day of the deadline, or a day before. Even if everything is done, I just can't get myself to press submit if I don't actually have to. I could still have that SPARK of inspiration/find a typo etc...

Hello all, another lurker here :P

I've just sent in my earliest application, which is due 30th Nov. Will do the bunch of Dec 1s in next two days or so.

And just realized some programs changed the deadline since last time I've checked their websites, but fortunately all to a later date. So all is well.

Hello all, another lurker here :P

I've just sent in my earliest application, which is due 30th Nov. Will do the bunch of Dec 1s in next two days or so.

And just realized some programs changed the deadline since last time I've checked their websites, but fortunately all to a later date. So all is well.

Non-American programs?

I just want my letter writers to submit already!

Especially when you don't have any back up plans. 

Hear hear! I imagine I'm not the only person with the unreasonable expectation that one of the universities, upon receipt of my full application, will contact me right away (had the same delusions last year...).

Yeah, no real back up plans... I got lucky with a fellowship abroad as a "back up plan" (although I'd likely have taken it even if I had a full funded offer) for this year. Next year it's find a cheap apartment and a job paying above minimum wage? 

Hear hear! I imagine I'm not the only person with the unreasonable expectation that one of the universities, upon receipt of my full application, will contact me right away (had the same delusions last year...).

Not at all. I am equally as delusional. 

I'm getting all of them in the day of the deadline, or a day before. Even if everything is done, I just can't get myself to press submit if I don't actually have to. I could still have that SPARK of inspiration/find a typo etc...

I'd highly advise against this.  Websites, particularly if a graduate school has one deadline for ALL programs, can become overloaded, your internet might choose that night to be extra slow, etc. etc.  Give yourself AT LEAST 1 business day before the deadline.  Last year there was a program (very low on my list), I waited until the deadline and couldn't connect to the website, trying consistently for several hours - in the end I decided to save myself the $75.  No regrets apart from having already sent them transcripts and GRE scores... but had it been my first choice I would have cried myself to sleep every night for a month.  

I'd highly advise against this.  Websites, particularly if a graduate school has one deadline for ALL programs, can become overloaded, your internet might choose that night to be extra slow, etc. etc.  Give yourself AT LEAST 1 business day before the deadline.  Last year there was a program (very low on my list), I waited until the deadline and couldn't connect to the website, trying consistently for several hours - in the end I decided to save myself the $75.  No regrets apart from having already sent them transcripts and GRE scores... but had it been my first choice I would have cried myself to sleep every night for a month.  

Healthcare.gov haha

Edited by TakeMyCoffeeBlack

Hey guys! I have a silly question about an SOP formulation. When you mention faculty members of interest in your statement do you put "Professor Smith" or just "Smith?" I had my statement read by my European professor and by an American one. Where one keeps inserting "Professor," the other one keeps striking it out. Unfortunately, this is not the only thing on which they give opposite advices.