Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

They are trying hard to get all notifications out by April 15th (according to an email they sent to all FPAs)! It is now April 10th. Assuming that they don't work on weekends, I would imagine we'll have a big influx of notifications today, tomorrow, Monday or Tuesday! We're almost there! :)

They are trying hard to get all notifications out by April 15th (according to an email they sent to all FPAs)! It is now April 10th. Assuming that they don't work on weekends, I would imagine we'll have a big influx of notifications today, tomorrow, Monday or Tuesday! We're almost there! :)

I really, really hope your right!! I've got huge decisions to make and I need all the facts! Stress levels are high! haha

So I called the Program Manager for Sub-Saharan countries yesterday, but a lady answered my call since he wasn't in the office. She said I could either email him or call back on Friday since Jeremaine 'may have some information by then." Assuming this is an indication of *maybe* notifications this week or next week, the April 15th deadline thing could be true since Sub-Saharan countries are usually last to notify. I am gonna wait till Friday afternoon before calling, but any Sub-Saharan applicant wants to email him? It wouldn't hurt.

Edited by Maliyazi

Hi FingersCrossed, do you know whether they sent that email about the April 15th deadline recently or back when the recommendations came out?

Hi FingersCrossed, do you know whether they sent that email about the April 15th deadline recently or back when the recommendations came out?

I believe they sent it about three or four weeks ago - I ran into my FPA back then and asked him if he had any news and he said he got an email a few days earlier saying they were doing there very best to make sure all country notifications are sent out by April 15th. 

Hey frands,

I just got off the phone with Alyssa Yeng, who is the program manager for the Eurasia region. She mentioned that there is a budgetary hold up within the State Department for our region. In other words, they have the final recommendations from our countries, but are trying to decide how best to allocate grants based on the funds available. The good news (which is also kind of bad news) is that the person responsible for moving forward will not be back in the NYC office until Monday, meaning you can take a breather from neurotically checking your email today, tomorrow, and through the weekend. Alyssa also mentioned that they would be moving forward as quickly as possible on Monday. She at first said in a strained and uncertain way that we'd hear back next week, but then revised it to possibly two weeks. Not much to be done about that. So, for now, take a deep breath, go hang out, drink a cold IPA, and enjoy a sunny weekend (and if you're here in DC, go see the Cherry Blossoms).

-IJM

I wish Fulbright had a FedEx-type tracking log so we could see where our individual countries were in their processes, like "Malaysia is still in committee" or "Zambia has moved to state department for approval, expect notification within two days".

Hey frands,

I just got off the phone with Alyssa Yeng, who is the program manager for the Eurasia region. She mentioned that there is a budgetary hold up within the State Department for our region. In other words, they have the final recommendations from our countries, but are trying to decide how best to allocate grants based on the funds available. The good news (which is also kind of bad news) is that the person responsible for moving forward will not be back in the NYC office until Monday, meaning you can take a breather from neurotically checking your email today, tomorrow, and through the weekend. Alyssa also mentioned that they would be moving forward as quickly as possible on Monday. She at first said in a strained and uncertain way that we'd hear back next week, but then revised it to possibly two weeks. Not much to be done about that. So, for now, take a deep breath, go hang out, drink a cold IPA, and enjoy a sunny weekend (and if you're here in DC, go see the Cherry Blossoms).

-IJM

Does this include Malaysia?

So I called the Program Manager for Sub-Saharan countries yesterday, but a lady answered my call since he wasn't in the office. She said I could either email him or call back on Friday since Jeremaine 'may have some information by then." Assuming this is an indication of *maybe* notifications this week or next week, the April 15th deadline thing could be true since Sub-Saharan countries are usually last to notify. I am gonna wait till Friday afternoon before calling, but any Sub-Saharan applicant wants to email him? It wouldn't hurt.

Maliyazi, thanks for reaching out and sharing what you learned. I think calling Jermaine on Friday and finding out if he has any news is a great idea!  I emailed him last year on April 10th and he got back to me that we should be finding out the following week, which we did on April 15th.  While it was still anxiety-filled, it was nice to have an idea when to expect it. Calling is a good idea too since they probably tend to share a bit more than they do through email. I couldn't wait and emailed him last week even though I knew it was too early and I should have been more patient (all he said was that based on previous years, his sense is that we will know by the end of the month), so I don't want to reach out to him again for fear of being annoying.  Anybody else who wants to take one for the team and find out, though, please share what you learn with us!

Hey frands,

-IJM

Uh oh... saw Eurasia so I had to officially make an account and stop lurking! Thank you so much for calling and posting this information. Have the funds been cut? Should I be even more worried? Regardless, it's cherry blossom time!

Uh oh... saw Eurasia so I had to officially make an account and stop lurking! Thank you so much for calling and posting this information. Have the funds been cut? Should I be even more worried? Regardless, it's cherry blossom time!

Happy to do it. Most grad schools require notification of acceptance by April 15th, so I thought it would be valuable to get a general time frame for Fulbright. I'm not sure how the pecuniary breakdown of regions goes, but the Fulbright program actually saw an increase from FY13 of over $2 million dollars in funding. Again, this is for Fulbright as a whole, so that includes the scholar programs in addition to student programs. (here's a pdf of the FY14 state dept. budget, in case there is any interest - http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/207305.pdf )

Edited by Maginz

Hi all, I had a really good conversation with Jonathan Akeley on the phone today. I called about Taiwan ETA but this might apply to other East Asia countries too.

Basically he told me there is no definite deadlines for any program. He obviously doesn't want to torture us and will send out notifications as soon as he has approval. Unfortunately he doesn't have any information about when he will receive approvals from the State department. While it's possible to hear tomorrow, it's unlikely.

When I pushed him to give me a possible date, he said perhaps at the end of next week but that's no guarantee. As far as the mythologized April 15th deadline is concerned, he laughed good naturedly and asked me who gave me all this date. He is not really aware they are trying to get notifications out by the 15th. For him, March 15 is a better deadline-- he wants us to know as early as possible.

This isn't really good news for those of us waiting desperately for news. But I feel a little comforted from talking to him. He seems genuinely understanding of my nerves. I am going to try not worry for a few weeks.

Hi all, I had a really good conversation with Jonathan Akeley on the phone today. I called about Taiwan ETA but this might apply to other East Asia countries too.

Basically he told me there is no definite deadlines for any program. He obviously doesn't want to torture us and will send out notifications as soon as he has approval. Unfortunately he doesn't have any information about when he will receive approvals from the State department. While it's possible to hear tomorrow, it's unlikely.

When I pushed him to give me a possible date, he said perhaps at the end of next week but that's no guarantee. As far as the mythologized April 15th deadline is concerned, he laughed good naturedly and asked me who gave me all this date. He is not really aware they are trying to get notifications out by the 15th. For him, March 15 is a better deadline-- he wants us to know as early as possible.

This isn't really good news for those of us waiting desperately for news. But I feel a little comforted from talking to him. He seems genuinely understanding of my nerves. I am going to try not worry for a few weeks.

Thanks so much for calling, even if it's not quite the answer we were hoping for. At least I can stop updating my mailbox every ten minutes now haha.

Hey everyone!

This is my first time using Grad Cafe. Thanks for all of your posts. I am applying to teach in Korea. To all the Korea ETA applicants, congrats and best of luck to you!! Has anyone emailed/contacted anyone regarding Korea's notification date. The wait is killing me!! :P

Maliyazi, thanks for reaching out and sharing what you learned. I think calling Jermaine on Friday and finding out if he has any news is a great idea!  I emailed him last year on April 10th and he got back to me that we should be finding out the following week, which we did on April 15th.  While it was still anxiety-filled, it was nice to have an idea when to expect it. Calling is a good idea too since they probably tend to share a bit more than they do through email. I couldn't wait and emailed him last week even though I knew it was too early and I should have been more patient (all he said was that based on previous years, his sense is that we will know by the end of the month), so I don't want to reach out to him again for fear of being annoying.  Anybody else who wants to take one for the team and find out, though, please share what you learn with us!

Hi Maliyazi and jrk2115,

Thanks so much, Maliyzi, for sharing that info about SubSaharan Africa! Our little SSA thegradcafe.com group is waiting anxiously for any word! I very much hope it's the 15th-- my birthday is the 16th and getting a Fulbright for my birthday would be awesome! Of course, it could also be a rather sad birthday if it goes the other way. After you talk to Jermaine, I think it's probably my turn to bother them next, depending on what you learn. It's been hard to sit here as many other countries/regions have sent out notifications, knowing that we are most likely going to be the last to hear! Could the 15th be the magical number??Here's wishing!

CONGRATULATIONS to all those who made team Thailand! Sincere and heart-felt condolences to those whose projects weren't selected. It sure would be great if those Asian countries start coming in fast...I know there are a lot of you on this board. SubSaharan Africa is often the last to hear, so I rejoice when any country or region starts sending out notifications, knowing that means we're one step closer for SSA! I havent been too anxious...until now. Notifications for SSA were on the 10th a couple years back; however, one year they went out on the 26th. BUT...the 15th is a recurring date, so I hope, hope, hope...And yes, NOW I'm officially anxious and keep checking this board to see those notifications coming in. LOL I know it does absolutely no good to fret over it, but I can't help myself!

I also want to say THANK YOU EVERYONE here on this board! Just reading about everyone's situations and soaking up the positive energy has truly been helpful and I appreciate it very much!