Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

A girl in my program applied for the Fulbright. She apparently got an email a few days ago notifying her that a decision would be made before the end of the month.

Maybe this is the case at all universities? It’s looking likely. 

Does anyone know if IIE will be open on Monday, because it's a federally recognized holiday (MLK's Birthday). I'm thinking that day will definitely be a no-go if they're off, but they are an independent not-for-profit so maybe they will be open? Or are we all agreed that it will be a Thursday or Friday, anyway? 

Yeah, I'm thinking Friday the 24th for sure. I feel like they would prefer to tell people on a Friday evening so then they have the weekend to think about their decision or lack of... etc. Anyone else agree?

You would think so, simply based off the past few years, except for that this year is already different because they're later than those years! (Of all the years!) So at this point I'm inclined to think it's anyone's game... 

I think that as well. It makes sense to me to do it that way. I don think they will be open Monday. I know my FPA and most others won't be in either because of the holiday. We don't start the semester until Tuesday.

Yeah, I'm thinking Friday the 24th for sure. I feel like they would prefer to tell people on a Friday evening so then they have the weekend to think about their decision or lack of... etc. Anyone else agree?

Also, I would think that giving the decision on a Friday would give people a chance to cool down over the weekend... I would say if they sent out recommendations on a Monday-Thursday, they'd be having to answer a high volume of phone calls and inquiries the very next day like, "I heard someone got their email decision and I didn't get mine. Did you all lose my email address?" <-- I'm sure that's a popular question. 

Sometimes I wish that I applied to a county w/ a higher acceptance rate. Mine is floating around 15%... versus 30% for other countries. :\

Edited by kbui

Hey guys!

I just found this board. I actually have not been thinking about the results at all until this week! That stupid survey email from Fulbright caught my attention though! So, I guess I am now in the "anxiously waiting" catagory. I am applying for a full graduate degree to South Korea. Anybody else applying to South Korea? Only ten awards available for the particular award I applied for so it is a long shot but let's see! My guess is that we will hear something by this Friday...I doubt we will hear anything on Monday seeing it is MLK day but who knows! These Fulbright people can be pretty tricky from what I have heard ;)

GLTA

J

Hey guys!

I just found this board. I actually have not been thinking about the results at all until this week! That stupid survey email from Fulbright caught my attention though! So, I guess I am now in the "anxiously waiting" catagory. I am applying for a full graduate degree to South Korea. Anybody else applying to South Korea? Only ten awards available for the particular award I applied for so it is a long shot but let's see! My guess is that we will hear something by this Friday...I doubt we will hear anything on Monday seeing it is MLK day but who knows! These Fulbright people can be pretty tricky from what I have heard ;)

GLTA

J

ETA to South Korea here! Where/what subject are you wanting to study?

Edited by zjlb79

Oh cool! Honesty I wasn't expecting anybody on here to be applying to SK. I am not an ETA applicant so my chances are even slimmer...but I am hoping to study my graduate program at Korea University in North Korean Studies with a focus on regional security. I haven't heard of many people applying for research grants in South Korea...all I ever hear about is ETAs so I am not really sure what to expect...

Oh cool! Honesty I wasn't expecting anybody on here to be applying to SK. I am not an ETA applicant so my chances are even slimmer...but I am hoping to study my graduate program at Korea University in North Korean Studies with a focus on regional security. I haven't heard of many people applying for research grants in South Korea...all I ever hear about is ETAs so I am not really sure what to expect...

North Korean studies? How fascinating! I know the research grant statistics to SK were around 50/50, but I guess getting your masters would be in a different category. Is your program taught in English or do you speak Korean? Good luck to you!

Yes, it is in a new category. Not an ETA yet not a research grant. It is a full graduate degree grant so there is only ten available. I am not for sure but I am sure my chances are below 50% statistically! haha...I have studied Korean for three years now and been to South Korea before so I speak pretty good Korean. I think the program itself is in English though. I'll keep my fingers crossed...hopefully we can make it through to the next round together! haha

Yes, it is in a new category. Not an ETA yet not a research grant. It is a full graduate degree grant so there is only ten available. I am not for sure but I am sure my chances are below 50% statistically! haha...I have studied Korean for three years now and been to South Korea before so I speak pretty good Korean. I think the program itself is in English though. I'll keep my fingers crossed...hopefully we can make it through to the next round together! haha

I'm applying for a similar grant in the UK to fund my master's degree next year (there's only one grant available at each of the schools to which I applied). I've been trying to guess how the recommendation process works for these unconventional grants, but it's all pretty opaque. Guess we just have to hang on another week. 

Sometimes I wish that I applied to a county w/ a higher acceptance rate. Mine is floating around 15%... versus 30% for other countries. :\

Heard that kbui.  I'm looking at about 5% for my program >.< Anyone else here for Rwanda?

Also, anybody know appx how many/what percentage of applicants become finalists?

I hear you. When I was deciding which country I wanted to apply to, Russia or Georgia, that very question factored in my decision. Albeit, it was only one of several factors, but I felt I had a better shot at getting into Fulbright Georgia than I did Fulbright Russia. Who knows how things would have turned out had I applied for Russia? That being said, however, somebody has to make up that 15% and 5%, why not it be you? :) Good luck! 

Edited by Porshyen

I'm applying for a similar grant in the UK to fund my master's degree next year (there's only one grant available at each of the schools to which I applied). I've been trying to guess how the recommendation process works for these unconventional grants, but it's all pretty opaque. Guess we just have to hang on another week.

Were you able to apply to more than one Fulbright? I thought it was only one per year?