Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Thanks for the feedback!  So glad for this forum - I'll know when the emails are sent, and then I can choose to check mine when I'm not teaching . . . or driving . . . or in a meeting . . . etc. :) 

Well, back to crossing my fingers and studying Bulgarian!

Thanks for the feedback!  So glad for this forum - I'll know when the emails are sent, and then I can choose to check mine when I'm not teaching . . . or driving . . . or in a meeting . . . etc. :)

Well, back to crossing my fingers and studying Bulgarian!

Exactly! I decided to provide my main email address to Fulbright, not thinking that I might accidentally open my notification email when I'm at work, school, etc. I have now been checking this forum during the "witching hours" in the evening before opening my email.

Hey everyone,

I'm new to Grad Café and joined after doing some research on the Fulbright and stumbling across these forums. I'll be applying for a Fulbright during the next cycle, so I've been reviewing a lot of these posts and looking for any (very early) advice and information. I'll probably start a 2015-2016 forum at some point in the next couple of months, but, in the meantime, I'd love to follow the progress through this cycle of someone whose story is similar to mine (already in the working world), or who's applying for a Full Research grant in Spain.  I've been in the working world for a couple of years (I'm a practicing attorney) and I want to apply for a Fulbright Full Research Student grant in Spain.  Is anyone here similarly in the working world, or, better yet, an attorney who's applied for the grant? If so, are you applying at-large or did you reconnect with either your undergraduate or graduate institution? Also, has anyone here had to deal with the sticky situation of getting recommendations while not tipping off your current place of employment that you are considering a "sabbatical," so to speak?  

Anyway, sorry to intrude on your thread! I know this is a stressful week for you guys, but take heart in the fact that, at least from what I can tell, the acceptance percentage overall seems to be going up each year (in part, because the number of applications are going down!). :)

Hi, I'm in your boat, I'm not a practicing attorney but have been in the working world for a while. I am currently in the 2014-2015 process, and have been short listed to go to the UK. I have an in country interview 01/21/14.  I applied under the Full Research Scholar program, and I went at large. Feel free to ask questions

Hi, I'm in your boat, I'm not a practicing attorney but have been in the working world for a while. I am currently in the 2014-2015 process, and have been short listed to go to the UK. I have an in country interview 01/21/14.  I applied under the Full Research Scholar program, and I went at large. Feel free to ask questions

Thanks! One of my main questions is who you got to do your 3 recommendations. If I were still in college (or law school), it would be easy to pick three professors, but now that I'm working, the issue is a lot trickier, especially since I really don't want to tell anyone I'm applying, because, if people fear I may not be here in a year, they won't give me work now. Also, what are you trying to do in the UK? Teach, or research?  And, since you're at large, how did you go about finding an affiliation? Did you just figure out some key people and then send out targeted emails? Thanks so much for the help.

To all: I wish you the very, very best of luck and hope to be reading about your good news on this thread very soon! :)

Still no word?

Eh, not to keep harping on this, but someone calling the office could really give us insight, since they'd likely tell whether or not the decisions are coming this week based on what it appears they have disclosed in the past

Just a thought...

Eh, not to keep harping on this, but someone calling the office could really give us insight, since they'd likely tell whether or not the decisions are coming this week based on what it appears they have disclosed in the past

Just a thought...

I vote on patiently waiting one more day and see what happens. I don't think it is necessary to call them at this point since it's not like notifications are "late" or something. I could see it more beneficial next week since by then it would be abnormal based on previous year notifications.  

Just a thought...

I'm at work right now and cannot call, but this is probably the most likely individual:

General Inquiries and FPAs

Walter Jackson, Program Manager

212-984-5327, wjackson@iie.org

Others can be found here.

Yeah, given that the notification date given on the website is the 31st, I don't see any precedent for calling until that date has passed.

People have called in past years and the people in the office have let them know roughly "you should be hearing this week"

So, if someone were to call, we could potentially all stop stressing about whether it's going to be this week or next--seems like reason enough to me

Yeah, given that the notification date given on the website is the 31st, I don't see any precedent for calling until that date has passed.

I had the same thought. If experiential knowledge dictates that the notification normally arrives prior to the 31st, it might still be worth consideration though.

Just a thought...

I called earlier today to ask about my deactivated email address from university and happened to ask about decisions going out... I was told that they are not sending out recommendations/rejections this week and that they were aiming for the last week of January. Rest easy, everyone, we all have at least another week to keep freaking out. :)

I called earlier today to ask about my deactivated email address from university and happened to ask about decisions going out... I was told that they are not sending out recommendations/rejections this week and that they were aiming for the last week of January. Rest easy, everyone, we all have at least another week to keep freaking out. :)

Thank you for asking!! I'm sure all of us appreciate it!

They seem to be really behind this year, first with the survey, and now this. Even though I'm not applying to a program or another scholarship, I hope it doesn't push back the final notifications too far in the spring for applicants who are in that situation.

Hmm...perhaps this is just the standard response? I have a hard time believing that it would be so much later this year...or maybe I'm just in denial because I want this waiting to be over.

Edited by Elli389

This is why I was asking earlier if anyone had heard anything from their FPAs. I didn't apply last year, but based on the board, it appears that some people in this forum were tipped off by their FPA (other people's FPAs toed Fulbright party line of "end of the month"). I was hoping that we'd be getting other people reporting in with good news from their FPAs but the fact that we haven't unfortunately makes me think we'll be waiting a little while longer.

Edited by Cicero

This is why I was asking earlier if anyone had heard anything from their FPAs. I didn't apply last year, but based on the board, it appears that some people in this forum were tipped off by their FPA (other people's FPAs toed Fulbright party line of "end of the month"). I was hoping that we'd be getting other people reporting in with good news from their FPAs but the fact that we haven't unfortunately makes me think we'll be waiting a little while longer.

Yes, I agree. I think this year is already pretty different, and it's either indicative of notifications being later, or that IIE is not telling FPA's anything this year... one can hope it's the latter, but it's equally likely it's the former, I think.

Yes, I agree. I think this year is already pretty different, and it's either indicative of notifications being later, or that IIE is not telling FPA's anything this year... one can hope it's the latter, but it's equally likely it's the former, I think.

Perhaps the government shutdown is to blame? I would ask my FPA, but she was so clueless as to what to do that I was forced to apply at-large. :( Anyone else have a good relationship with their FPA?

Aiaiai, good to know. This wait is absolutely killing me though. I just want to know now!

Has everyone whose program requires an interview already received one or had it scheduled?  The grant for a master's at a university abroad requires an interview and the posted timeline says that the interviews are done between the middle of January and the middle of February.  I wonder if not having received an email setting the interview indicates that I didn't move on.

I am not sure if the government shutdown played a role, since it only affected the US State Dept. and IEE committee for two days (Oct. 1-16, application site for Fulbright US student scholars closed in Oct. 15). The timeline for the recommended/rejected status for the 2013-2014 also had the same deadline for Jan. 31st notifications, but got notified beforehand. I guess we will have to wait and see, there is no reason to get worked up right now or stressed out even though I really wish it would happen tomorrow like most of you.  

Hi Spainbound,

I'm also coming from the working world, with 1.5 years practicing as a vet. I was able to apply through my university. I was told that I could be eligible for the Scholar program, but that my chances would be better through the student program, since the scholar program is directed more towards those who are already in academic careers.

I asked professors for my recommendations. Like you, I didn't want to inform my employer that I might be leaving. I had kept in touch and collaborated on research with 2 of my letter writers since graduating, but the third was someone I hadn't talked to for some time. She didn't seem bothered by it - I think you just have to use the contacts that are available that won't jeopardize your employment. Most professors won't have an issue with doing a rec for a former student, particularly if you had done research with them or had some sort of relationship/dialogue that went beyond attending their class.

Does anyone know when Fulbright updates the statistics?  The ones on the website are for last year's application cycle; I'm curious to see how many people applied this year for the various countries.