Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Long time lurker, first time poster. I can't even believe how nervous I am waiting to hear about the results. That survey e-mail nearly sent me into cardiac arrest. So nice to know other people are going through the same thing!

Of course, i see the survey and immediately go to GradCafe. When I saw what it was, my first thought was that it is sent only to those who don't make it ... seems like it'd be much easier to get feedback from people who were accepted somewhere further along in the process.  Hopefully i'm being over pessimistic.  :mellow:

NOT COOL! I was sure it was acceptance or rejection.. and then I read it.

I know! I had to determine if I wanted to read it or wait and then I realized it was a survey. Now I'm concerned that I didn't get it because I got the survey (makes no sense though!). Anyways, though my friend who got an ETA to Germany found out early, I'm not sure we should panic until the 31st. I know one of my friends found out that late last year. 

I feel like they did the survey thing last year too, but I might have blocked out that traumatic memory.

They did the survey last year too but it was close to the holidays. I was expecting to see it during the holiday break and when I didn't I completely forgot about it until now...

Of course, i see the survey and immediately go to GradCafe. When I saw what it was, my first thought was that it is sent only to those who don't make it ... seems like it'd be much easier to get feedback from people who were accepted somewhere further along in the process.  Hopefully i'm being over pessimistic.  :mellow:

I was recommended last year and eventually was an alternate. I got the survey last year too.

Omg the survey was a freaking tease! I was about to take a conference call when I checked my e-mail and saw the survey. I gasped and slapped my keyboard, only to find out it was nothing. And then there's the "understanding" message, "we know you're freaking out. You will find out this month." Damn....

I was afraid to check my email, so I first came here if any notifications had gone out so I could mentally prepare to receive the news. It's maybe pathetic, but I avoided the heart attack from that survey (to those still coming down from the panic spike remember to breathe).

I understand why they'd want feedback before the results went out, but why couldn't they have done this in December or the beginning of last week?

In the future, I would recommend they do that when you submit it. That way we aren't biased based on being recommended or not being recommended and we aren't yet panicking.

Agree, our nerves can't handle this!

Hi! 

First time poster :) 

Are any of you afraid to fill out the survey? This might come across as paranoia, but I am afraid that my answers will influence the results. Further, my school was not particularly helpful throughout the process, but I don't know if I should be honest or make them seem better than they are. Anyone have any insight or thoughts??

De-lurking (hi everyone!). I swear my heart stopped for a second until "survey" registered. Mr. Claudino's trollin' us!

I can see why they wouldn't want to give us the survey after the results are announced, but it would've made a lot more sense to send it out soon after the deadline, when everyone's got the experience fresh on their minds and nobody's expecting to hear back.

Hi! 

First time poster  :)

Are any of you afraid to fill out the survey? This might come across as paranoia, but I am afraid that my answers will influence the results. Further, my school was not particularly helpful throughout the process, but I don't know if I should be honest or make them seem better than they are. Anyone have any insight or thoughts??

I strongly suspect that they don't have the time/resources to go through everyone's surveys and compare them to their application. It's also in their interest if survey responses are honest (like if they get lots of complaints about a Fulbright adviser at a certain campus)... that's what I'd assume.

For you guys who applied through a school, how was your experience with your campus adviser? I didn't have a great experience either. He gave me the wrong date for the mandatory info session and I don't think he ever forgave me for missing it. He was also unclear about the expectations for the internal deadline, and as a result my essays weren't polished enough for the interview. Bummer. Well, if I don't make it this time, I'm better informed for the next try.

Edited by Oliebollen

AND: Did any of you receive an email for an invitation for 4th Annual Gulf Education Conference & Exhibition, London 31st March - 1st April 2014 ( Hilton London Paddington) following the survey email? It is an international exchange program type event. I thought maybe our names were added to some mailing list for this since we have expressed interest by way of our application. 

Hi! 

First time poster :)

Hi Mojodreams, I think it would be difficult for them to identify us since it seems like the link leads to just some random survey website. I doubt this survey will influence the results since those final decisions were made about a month ago. I would answer it truthfully, I think Fulbright needs to know which FPA are useful to students interested in this great opportunity. I am sure that they receive some sort of perk for being a Fulbright advisor on campus, might as well be truthful. 

Hi Mojodreams, I think it would be difficult for them to identify us since it seems like the link leads to just some random survey website. I doubt this survey will influence the results since those final decisions were made about a month ago. I would answer it truthfully, I think Fulbright needs to know which FPA are useful to students interested in this great opportunity. I am sure that they receive some sort of perk for being a Fulbright advisor on campus, might as well be truthful. 

Thanks for this thoughtful response!! 

Mojodreams, I had a similar experience. My school actually ended up almost ruining my chances of applying. I was honest, but not too direct or brutal. And I doubt it'll hurt as they did make decisions a while ago. 

I was very fortunate enough to have a great FPA. She was in contact with me the whole year leading up to the application, and was always willing to meet with me and answer any of my questions or concerns. I really grew fond of her as a professor and as an advisor/mentor (even though she is from the opposite spectrum of my field of study). I think a good FPA advisor gives constructive feedback and genuinely cares for you to succeed in your fulbright application. I had others helping me in the process who were more critical, and essentially helped me, but I think the support the FPA had in my school was truly great compared to other reviewers who helped me in the application process. I remember when I stepped into the interview room and all the other council members were there listening to me and  she was just so pumped up and excited for me to explain my project and she was eagerly looking around the room and seeing the others faces with such excitement. Awie, now I am getting a little sappy, but she was truly a jewel and extremely helpful. She might be more bummed out than me if I don't get it. But at least she got a great review on the survey!

My academic advisor was super helpful and the lower-level advisor for the fulbright was brilliant, but the head of our scholarship advisement department was not very helpful. I did learn a lot, so despite the outcome and all I went through, it was amazing and I'm so happy I did it!

Edited by Horb

My FPA is fantastic. In fact, she is one of my very favorite people (of all time). She has also helped me apply to numerous other scholarships/fellowships, and she took the time to go over each of the 12+ drafts of my personal and grant purpose statements with a fine-toothed comb over the summer. She really cares about each of her Fulbright applicants, and the process went much more smoothly with her help.

I'm still hoping that we get the real email from Fulbright by the end of this week. Best of luck to all the applicants! Especially other graduating seniors...it would be nice to know what we're all going to be doing with our lives after graduation! :)

The survey went straight to my spam folder. I hope my email doesn't do that with the REAL fulbright notification!

Edited by miri1776

Happy hump day, everyone!

I've been following this thread for a while now but finally decided to de-lurk. 

The survey was such a tease when they know most of us are eagerly awaiting word on our applications! I was pretty excited about the e-mail until I read it in its entirety.

I don't know about the rest of you but I've become so finely attuned to the e-mail alert on my phone as of late. It's Pavlov's experiment is being done in the 21st century and we're being conditioned to wait for an e-mail...

Anywhos, any other applicants for Singapore?

Also, I don't know if anyone else found this chart confusing: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/studyresearch-grant-application-statistics. Does this mean that 30 people applied for Singapore and there were only enough grants for 7?

The same thing happened to me! Make sure to add "iie.org" to your list of approved domains!

Thanks for the tip! Fixed it right away. I have to go to a deparment dinner Friday :( If I receive the notification during the dinner, I am going to freak!

Happy hump day, everyone!

I've been following this thread for a while now but finally decided to de-lurk. 

The survey was such a tease when they know most of us are eagerly awaiting word on our applications! I was pretty excited about the e-mail until I read it in its entirety.

I don't know about the rest of you but I've become so finely attuned to the e-mail alert on my phone as of late. It's Pavlov's experiment is being done in the 21st century and we're being conditioned to wait for an e-mail...

Anywhos, any other applicants for Singapore?

Also, I don't know if anyone else found this chart confusing: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/studyresearch-grant-application-statistics. Does this mean that 30 people applied for Singapore and there were only enough grants for 7?

I think you are correct on the 30/7 assumption.