Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Thanks for the tip! Fixed it right away. I have to go to a deparment dinner Friday :( If I receive the notification during the dinner, I am going to freak!

That's too bad, probably better off just turning off your phone! I know I'd lose it. Personally, I prefer to wait to check my email till I'm by myself with some time to process when I'm waiting for a really important notification...

Happy hump day, everyone!

I've been following this thread for a while now but finally decided to de-lurk. 

The survey was such a tease when they know most of us are eagerly awaiting word on our applications! I was pretty excited about the e-mail until I read it in its entirety.

I don't know about the rest of you but I've become so finely attuned to the e-mail alert on my phone as of late. It's Pavlov's experiment is being done in the 21st century and we're being conditioned to wait for an e-mail...

Anywhos, any other applicants for Singapore?

Also, I don't know if anyone else found this chart confusing: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/studyresearch-grant-application-statistics. Does this mean that 30 people applied for Singapore and there were only enough grants for 7?

That is correct for 2013. It says at the top that it's listed as Applicants / Recipients.

I posted a question earlier, but I think it may have gotten lost in the Great Survey Tease of January 2014 so, I'm reposting below:

I was browsing last year's thread and noticed that about this time people began posting that their FPAs had alerted them that some kind of update would be coming soon. Has anyone received such a tip this year? I emailed my FPA and was told that I would be emailed by IIE at the end of the month. I know that some people also reported last year that their FPAs were toeing the Fulbright party line, which is "update at end of the month" so I don't think what my FPA said means we won't hear this week. Still, can anyone report in with more optimistic word from an FPA? 

I posted a question earlier, but I think it may have gotten lost in the Great Survey Tease of January 2014 so, I'm reposting below:

I was browsing last year's thread and noticed that about this time people began posting that their FPAs had alerted them that some kind of update would be coming soon. Has anyone received such a tip this year? I emailed my FPA and was told that I would be emailed by IIE at the end of the month. I know that some people also reported last year that their FPAs were toeing the Fulbright party line, which is "update at end of the month" so I don't think what my FPA said means we won't hear this week. Still, can anyone report in with more optimistic word from an FPA? 

Based on previous years, it's always been mid January when they send the first batch of notifications. I think the Fulbright "rule of thumb" is that applicants have to know by the end of this month, which is on the fulbright website's timeline, and possibly what your FPA is referring to. It is possible that since you e-mailed him or her that  they are just giving a generic answer. I was also under the impression that sometimes FPA's find out sooner, and sometimes later. I have read in previous threads that some FPAs give a hint to their applicants, and other posts have mentioned that the FPA's e-mail the applicants to find out if they got in or not since they were not notified at the same time as them. I am guessing it varies by their personal involvement in Fulbright organization, since I know they have regional committees of some sort and  maybe those who are higher up and are FPAs get to hear the news sooner than applicants and other FPAs, but this is just what I am assuming. I do find it weird that some FPAs find out sooner, at the same time, or sometimes later, than the applicants. I don't know if someone else would like to ask their campus FPA, I am guessing my FPA would just tell me that I would find out sooner or later. 

Anywhos, any other applicants for Singapore?

Also, I don't know if anyone else found this chart confusing: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/studyresearch-grant-application-statistics. Does this mean that 30 people applied for Singapore and there were only enough grants for 7?

That is my understanding of the statistics page. Those are good odds :)

Hi all! Just found out about this community, and I'm glad I did! Yes, I too relate with the pain of getting an email from IIE only to find out it was a survey :(

I have a question for you guys. Here's some background: My affiliate is a director at one of the top universities in my destination country, and before he agreed to be write me a letter of affiliation, I had to apply to his research center and have a faculty committee review my application as a "visiting scholar." I was accepted after the review, so if I get the Fulbright, I'll be considered a visiting researcher with no hassle. The more I read the email exchange though, the more I'm realizing that the visiting scholar position is not contingent upon getting the Fulbright. In fact, I received a live offer letter when I was emailed after passing the faculty review.

So my question is... if the offer still stands regardless of getting the Fulbright, should I accept it? I won't be getting a stipend so I have to pay my living expenses, but I wonder if this is a good opportunity that I'm passing up if I don't take it. The best scenario, of course, is to get the Fulbright and accept the research offer :)

That is my understanding of the statistics page. Those are good odds :)

The rule of thumb would be that half the applicants are recommended (15) or the IIE just multiplies the number of grants by two to get how many applications they should recommend (14)?

Anyone else getting a little wary that Friday might not be the day, given the radio silence from our FPAs? Seems as though there would be more rumors and chatter if we were going to find out this week...

Hi guys! First time poster, but been following/reading since Sept. I hope everyone is breathing normally by now...I swear it seems they did this on purpose! I had totally blocked Fulbright out of my mind, until that email! Now waiting UN-patiently for Friday (I hope) .

I applied for ETA to Kenya, anyone else applying to Kenya? Or perhaps to the East African region?

Best of luck, sending good vibes and positive energy to all! Breath!

The rule of thumb would be that half the applicants are recommended (15) or the IIE just multiplies the number of grants by two to get how many applications they should recommend (14)?

It's between x2 and x1.5 of the number of grants available, but as you can see from the stats page the number of available grants fluctuates a tiny bit so it wouldn't be exactly 30 every year.

Hi everyone, I just did some changes in the spreadsheet. Before I edited, the spreadsheet was split in two ABC lists, make sure if you're going to add your information you submit it in the correct order by "adding" a cell above or below the rows based on your host countries name. Thanks! 

Anyone else getting a little wary that Friday might not be the day, given the radio silence from our FPAs? Seems as though there would be more rumors and chatter if we were going to find out this week...

I agree. The chatter picked up last year on the Wednesday before notifications went out (Friday), and one person was even emailed by their host institution or something. That was more towards the end of the day on Wednesday, though. It's also possible (though unlikely) that simply by chance, none of the FPA's for users in this forum this year are sending out "heads up" emails. But I will be interested to see if any talk picks up tonight...

I agree. The chatter picked up last year on the Wednesday before notifications went out (Friday), and one person was even emailed by their host institution or something. That was more towards the end of the day on Wednesday, though. It's also possible (though unlikely) that simply by chance, none of the FPA's for users in this forum this year are sending out "heads up" emails. But I will be interested to see if any talk picks up tonight...

Per one of my previous posts, someone with more guts than I have should call the office and ask for the timing hah

It seems in past years they have acknowledged when it was the week of

My FPA says she gets notified at the same time as I do and hasn't been able to give me a better idea of a date than our estimate of this Friday.

I agree. The chatter picked up last year on the Wednesday before notifications went out (Friday), and one person was even emailed by their host institution or something. That was more towards the end of the day on Wednesday, though. It's also possible (though unlikely) that simply by chance, none of the FPA's for users in this forum this year are sending out "heads up" emails. But I will be interested to see if any talk picks up tonight...

I think Smith posted the news of the recommendations a day or two early last year: http://www.smith.edu/fellowships/news.php. I do wonder, however, if the FPAs who announce early get reprimanded at all.

I also know that one person last year started stalking Twitter to see if anyone posted that they got recommended.

Hi everyone, I just did some changes in the spreadsheet. Before I edited, the spreadsheet was split in two ABC lists, make sure if you're going to add your information you submit it in the correct order by "adding" a cell above or below the rows based on your host countries name. Thanks! 

Where did all the data go? I am only seeing Asia and Eurasia, but I know we should have close to 70 people on that list.

Where did all the data go? I am only seeing Asia and Eurasia, but I know we should have close to 70 people on that list.

Scratch that, I got it to display everything, but is there a way we can default it to display all the information when you open it or make a note explaining how to search? I know that people's familiarity with Google docs varies.

Scratch that, I got it to display everything, but is there a way we can default it to display all the information when you open it or make a note explaining how to search? I know that people's familiarity with Google docs varies.

I was asking myself that too lol. It wasn't like that when I closed my browser hmm I might play around with it. 

I was asking myself that too lol. It wasn't like that when I closed my browser hmm I might play around with it. 

It's probably because someone did a search on it and then closed out of the browser. I just tested it for a search of just Asia, closed it, and when it was reopened it was only showing results for Asia applicants.

Hey everyone,

I'm new to Grad Café and joined after doing some research on the Fulbright and stumbling across these forums. I'll be applying for a Fulbright during the next cycle, so I've been reviewing a lot of these posts and looking for any (very early) advice and information. I'll probably start a 2015-2016 forum at some point in the next couple of months, but, in the meantime, I'd love to follow the progress through this cycle of someone whose story is similar to mine (already in the working world), or who's applying for a Full Research grant in Spain.  I've been in the working world for a couple of years (I'm a practicing attorney) and I want to apply for a Fulbright Full Research Student grant in Spain.  Is anyone here similarly in the working world, or, better yet, an attorney who's applied for the grant? If so, are you applying at-large or did you reconnect with either your undergraduate or graduate institution? Also, has anyone here had to deal with the sticky situation of getting recommendations while not tipping off your current place of employment that you are considering a "sabbatical," so to speak?  

Anyway, sorry to intrude on your thread! I know this is a stressful week for you guys, but take heart in the fact that, at least from what I can tell, the acceptance percentage overall seems to be going up each year (in part, because the number of applications are going down!). :)

Edited by spainbound15

Hi all! Just found out about this community, and I'm glad I did! Yes, I too relate with the pain of getting an email from IIE only to find out it was a survey :(

I have a question for you guys. Here's some background: My affiliate is a director at one of the top universities in my destination country, and before he agreed to be write me a letter of affiliation, I had to apply to his research center and have a faculty committee review my application as a "visiting scholar." I was accepted after the review, so if I get the Fulbright, I'll be considered a visiting researcher with no hassle. The more I read the email exchange though, the more I'm realizing that the visiting scholar position is not contingent upon getting the Fulbright. In fact, I received a live offer letter when I was emailed after passing the faculty review.

So my question is... if the offer still stands regardless of getting the Fulbright, should I accept it? I won't be getting a stipend so I have to pay my living expenses, but I wonder if this is a good opportunity that I'm passing up if I don't take it. The best scenario, of course, is to get the Fulbright and accept the research offer :)

I think it depends on how much the cost of living is in the country, if you have money saved up for it/alternate funding, and how much time your research would take a week (you could maybe get a part-time job while you're there?).

Hi everyone! I just found this forum. That survey nearly gave me a heart attack! I hope we all find out (for real) soon...

Anyone else applying to Indonesia this year?

I think Secret_Ninja is. You can also check the spreadsheet to see other people applying to your region.