Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Hi all! I'm new to the forum, but I applied to a research Fulbright for Russia for next year. Does anyone else have to do a language interview if they are short listed/has anyone had to do one before? I am curious how intense the interviews are, especially if I applied for a CLEA particularly because I am not fluent or near fluency. Sending you all best wishes!

You seem to know an awful lot about the process. I'm sure its the same for the Research Award, but once it's sent in country, what is the percentage you think of getting it, or you've heard. The letter they sent me stated at some times they send more then what's allotted and only select a few.

As far as studying abroad, I would just apply. I'm sure you will get in. You seem tenacious.

Hi Bluefit, as far as the Full Grant award goes, I know they send at least a bit over half of the allotted grants. For example, I am interested in Colombia which accept about 6 students per year for the Full Grant. The Fulbright committee in the US would send 10-12 projects to the Colombian government to review. So in essence, they do send a couple more applications to the host country but your probability of getting it, or becoming an alternative increases to about 40-50% in this phase versus 16% in the first phase when your application is being reviewed with the rest of the USA applicants interested in that same country (in this case these statistics are derived from the Colombia, Full Grant page). I know the UK is more competitive for ETAs and Full Grants, I am unsure about the Scholar Grant but I am guessing if you have been recommended, you're very close to getting awarded, unless for some reason the country does not see fit. I think that's why they request people to send verification paperwork to double check from the US part, knowing that the transcripts are good. Previous Fulbright threads have also mentioned that in phase 2 the host country has the final say on who goes. I am guessing this is when the host university or organization letter comes into play and lets the host country know how much other people from there are interested/invested in you to go. This depends from country to country though, since some countries during phase 2 also find university or organization placements for recommended applicants from the US. 

Is there anyone here who has applied to get a master's funded? Does anyone know if that significantly changes chances at acceptance, assuming a strong and clear study plan was submitted?

I'm applying to fund an MA in Continental Philosophy at U Warwick in the UK, but I have no idea regarding whether or not it affects one's chance of acceptance.

Can't it be reverted to an earlier revision?

Is anyone else not having issues with the spreadsheet?  I've been checking back sporadically and never noticed anything different.  If I can help restore things for everyone else, I'd be happy to, just let me know.  Here's the link I just copied from my version:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsJrSSHnssqFdHNPell4VVZwWDgtWUpQcTVVeWM0bWc&usp=sharing

No, I'm not having any issues now. It looks like the info is all there.

Is anyone else not having issues with the spreadsheet?  I've been checking back sporadically and never noticed anything different.  If I can help restore things for everyone else, I'd be happy to, just let me know.  Here's the link I just copied from my version:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsJrSSHnssqFdHNPell4VVZwWDgtWUpQcTVVeWM0bWc&usp=sharing

I have a silly, overly-cautious question to ask about the spreadsheet. I thought I put my information on the sheet, but don't see it. How do I insert a new row (for example "Armenia" alphabetically between Andorra and Australia)? I just don't want to screw anything up, so I thought I would ask. It's been a hot minute since I had to use the spreadsheets. Thanks!

I have a silly, overly-cautious question to ask about the spreadsheet. I thought I put my information on the sheet, but don't see it. How do I insert a new row (for example "Armenia" alphabetically between Andorra and Australia)? I just don't want to screw anything up, so I thought I would ask. It's been a hot minute since I had to use the spreadsheets. Thanks!

My bad...overlooked the "insert" tab. Sorry for the false alarm!

Two days ago I went to the host country's fulbright requirement pages and I noticed that they changed a requirement section. I am afraid that means someone read my application and said "oh no, we should note this is not possible" and updated the requirements. To make my story short I am interested in children's psychosocial development in areas of conflict and violence, and how the use of intervention programs help. I was interested in this specific city due to it's varying levels of violence in certain neighborhoods. There was a restriction section in the Fulbright page of the country's mentioning that research applications targeting rural areas will not be accepted due to the organic nature of the security there. Before I started doing my application,  I e-mailed the Western Hemisphere representative to ask about any issues in doing research in this specific city, which she replied there were none at the moment. The other day I checked back and I saw that they added more than just rural parts of the country, including "section of urban areas" and "certain cities or towns." Talk about feeling bummed out. I was trying to prevent my application from being excluded because of the restriction section but it seems like they decided to change the requirements for it after the deadline. Bleh. 

:( Keep your chin up! But I understand and sympathize completely. I'm concerned that refugees are a risky group to work with, especially refugee women. But you have to keep telling yourself you did everything you could possibly due to submit a feasible and unique topic, you contacted everyone you could possibly think of to help support your research, and you submitted something you're proud of (I assume). There is a demand for work on these topics and someone somewhere will see that. If I were you, I would be proud I didn't submit something conventional. Your topic does sound really interesting and someone will see that, whatever the case. Has anyone applied for a research grant on a similar topic in the host country? 

:( Keep your chin up! But I understand and sympathize completely. I'm concerned that refugees are a risky group to work with, especially refugee women. But you have to keep telling yourself you did everything you could possibly due to submit a feasible and unique topic, you contacted everyone you could possibly think of to help support your research, and you submitted something you're proud of (I assume). There is a demand for work on these topics and someone somewhere will see that. If I were you, I would be proud I didn't submit something conventional. Your topic does sound really interesting and someone will see that, whatever the case. Has anyone applied for a research grant on a similar topic in the host country? 

Hi Anahid, thanks for your encouraging words, we'll just have to see what happens. You're right on trying to do everything you can. 

hello! I just registered here and I got the question, probably someone can help me with. I am Fulbright finalist for Graduate program, though I am applying to the universities on my own too. Is it ok to mention in my application to the university that I am a Fulbright finalist or it can be not beneficial? 

hello! I just registered here and I got the question, probably someone can help me with. I am Fulbright finalist for Graduate program, though I am applying to the universities on my own too. Is it ok to mention in my application to the university that I am a Fulbright finalist or it can be not beneficial? 

Olya, first, ласкаво просимо! I assume you are a Ukrainian finalist hoping to study in a US university?

In my opinion, you should mention it because they should understand that, at the time of your application, being a finalist does not guarantee a placement, so you need to apply to other programs directly, and it's an important enough honor and accomplishment that it should help your application. If you are afraid that it will make your application reviewers worry that you'll go somewhere else if you get the Fulbright, it may be possible to contact your university programs directly and explain your concern. Usually there is an administrator for the department, program, or school you are applying for within the university, and they can answer these questions. The Fulbright program in Ukraine itself may be able to advise you on this.

Finally, please send me a message through the gradcafe website if you have more questions, and I'll see if I can refer you to anyone I know.

Edited by Zahar Berkut

Hey there!

I inadvertently stumbled across this forum and can't believe I am just now discovering it! I applied for a Fulbright ETA in Morocco for 2014-2015. It's nice to hear that others are just as nervous as I am. January 31st can not come fast enough! 

Question: does anyone know if Fulbright recipients have been able to take their pets along with them? I really want to bring my cat if I am chosen.

Thanks and good luck to you all!!

Hi all. Music Fulbrighter here... applied last year, didn't make it to the final round (but did get an audition, which went meh). I just had my audition last Monday. I thought it went pretty well though could have gone better, but they always can it seems :) The interview lasted much longer than last year so I took that as a good sign... they seemed more interested in my topic. They were really drilling me though and I couldn't tell if it was because they were genuinely interested or just wanted to see how much I knew. I really cleaned up my application this year so I'm hoping really hard...

Also re: meliz90-- I think that's something you'd work out with the school or place where you'd be working/studying. If you rent an apartment that allows cats, then sure :) I don't think the Fulbright places restrictions on you about your living situation. Make sure you start the process early, though, because she might need to be quarantined (not sure what the process is-- I looked it up for my birds a while ago and it's different for every animal)

Hi Bluefit, as far as the Full Grant award goes, I know they send at least a bit over half of the allotted grants. For example, I am interested in Colombia which accept about 6 students per year for the Full Grant. The Fulbright committee in the US would send 10-12 projects to the Colombian government to review. So in essence, they do send a couple more applications to the host country but your probability of getting it, or becoming an alternative increases to about 40-50% in this phase versus 16% in the first phase when your application is being reviewed with the rest of the USA applicants interested in that same country (in this case these statistics are derived from the Colombia, Full Grant page). I know the UK is more competitive for ETAs and Full Grants, I am unsure about the Scholar Grant but I am guessing if you have been recommended, you're very close to getting awarded, unless for some reason the country does not see fit. I think that's why they request people to send verification paperwork to double check from the US part, knowing that the transcripts are good. Previous Fulbright threads have also mentioned that in phase 2 the host country has the final say on who goes. I am guessing this is when the host university or organization letter comes into play and lets the host country know how much other people from there are interested/invested in you to go. This depends from country to country though, since some countries during phase 2 also find university or organization placements for recommended applicants from the US. 

Well spoke, and thank you. I have three letters one from a university, one from a research institute and one from the police there in the UK. So hopefully all my basis were covered. I read your later post, good luck!!!!!! too bad they don't put there requirements prior in their entirety. Hang in there and I wish you the best of luck!!!!!!!!

I have a question, new here, applying to Fulbright for history research in Southeast Asia. I got an account to ask advice about a situation I am facing. I have been in communication with someone who is threatening to send sensitive screenshots/information about me to the Fulbright Commission. How should I best handle this situation? Should I email the Commission and let them know before it is too late? I hate this feeling of being blackmailed, and I'm not sure how to handle it most professionally. The screenshots are not extremely damaging but might shed a bad light on my character or be tampered with/taken out of context. Thanks for any advice.

I have a question, new here, applying to Fulbright for history research in Southeast Asia. I got an account to ask advice about a situation I am facing. I have been in communication with someone who is threatening to send sensitive screenshots/information about me to the Fulbright Commission. How should I best handle this situation? Should I email the Commission and let them know before it is too late? I hate this feeling of being blackmailed, and I'm not sure how to handle it most professionally. The screenshots are not extremely damaging but might shed a bad light on my character or be tampered with/taken out of context. Thanks for any advice.

That sounds like someone the region administrator may be able to help you with or your FPA on campus. And perhaps the police? Just sayin.

I just did some cleanup on the spreadsheet. Remember that you can just enter your name into the bottom of the list. It's a spreadsheet folks so the data can be shuffled around by column, don't worry about trying to be alphabetical. It's just nice to see others applying places, make connections and get the stress out as we get closer to the final days.

Cheers!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsJrSSHnssqFdHNPell4VVZwWDgtWUpQcTVVeWM0bWc&usp=sharing#gid=1

Amirah

I really don't know why the Fulbright Commission would be interested in opening up an e-mail with screenshots of one of the thousands of applicants and then make a decision based on this person's opinion or "evidence" of you. I think you should also consider who is this "someone" (a professor, fellow peer, ex-girlfriend) do they even have the power to make their e-mail come across as important? I am sure you're not the first one or will be the last one who faces this type of situation.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much but I would definitely involve some sort of law enforcement or campus police in this situation because what's happening to you is illegal. 

I really don't know why the Fulbright Commission would be interested in opening up an e-mail with screenshots of one of the thousands of applicants and then make a decision based on this person's opinion or "evidence" of you. I think you should also consider who is this "someone" (a professor, fellow peer, ex-girlfriend) do they even have the power to make their e-mail come across as important? I am sure you're not the first one or will be the last one who faces this type of situation.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much but I would definitely involve some sort of law enforcement or campus police in this situation because what's happening to you is illegal. 

Yes. This is cyber-harassment.

You need to save and document everything -- emails, text messages, etc. If you're still a student, campus police might be a good bet. If not, see if your local police has an internet crimes division.