Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I feel you. That's what I'm trying to do too. When you work with such serious topics it's easy to forget that they want to know what your personality is too. Where are you trying to go this time and what do you want to do??

I'm attempting to go to Thailand for an ETA again. I'm set on learning Thai and working in Southeast Asia, so this is the next logical step on my career path. I hope that Fulbright will see my perseverance--three years is a lot of dedication to a scholarship!

What about yourself? What are you going to change this year to make your application successful?

I'm attempting to go to Thailand for an ETA again. I'm set on learning Thai and working in Southeast Asia, so this is the next logical step on my career path. I hope that Fulbright will see my perseverance--three years is a lot of dedication to a scholarship!

What about yourself? What are you going to change this year to make your application successful?

I think the main change I'm making this year is the first thing i nailed down were TWO good affiliation letters. Last year both of mine fell through, so I started early now and I have two that I'm really happy with. I'm trying to do Canada working with McGill and a doctor there doing a clinical trial. I have more of a personal tie this year, so I'm hoping that helps. Your perseverance is admirable!!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an ETA applicant who is currently serving as an English TEFL (Teacher of English as a Foreign Language) volunteer in the Peace Corps.Is anyone else here applying to the Fulbright ETA or full research grant program who is a currently serving or returned Peace Corps Volunteer? If so, how much of your PC service did you put into you essays, I was wondering if it could somehow negatively impact an application.

Hey All. I have been watching this forum for a while... Thought I would step into the conversation.

I am applying for a Study/Research Fulbright to the Netherlands. Almost done with the application process, my school's deadline is the 13th. 

I feel like I have been working on this so long that I can hardly tell if what I am saying makes any sense to anyone but me! (Though I have lovely friends who have assured me it does). Anyone else having last minute proposal anxiety? How far along is everyone?

It's been really tough trying to apply for the Fulbright alongside studying for the GRE. I've been splitting my days to focus on work, GRE, and Fulbright. I applied twice through my school and both times it wasn't fruitful, so I'm just going to apply at-large this time around. I'm still in the process of drafting my essays (eek!) AND trying to get recommendation letters (ahh!). I'm super behind!

Hi everyone!

So I was beginning to get nervous because I hadn't gotten EITHER of my affiliation letters. I sent out emails to my affiliates today, and one sent me a scanned cody and the other is mailing it to me tomorrow. SO excited!! It's actually happening!! :)

Hi everyone!

So I was beginning to get nervous because I hadn't gotten EITHER of my affiliation letters. I sent out emails to my affiliates today, and one sent me a scanned cody and the other is mailing it to me tomorrow. SO excited!! It's actually happening!! :)

Can you help read over my essays? I'll return the favor :) Email me at bui23353[at]gmail.com

Hey guys, I'm a former Fulbrighter (Jamiaca, 2012-2013, coral biology) and thought I'd drop in and offer to help anyone who has questions.  Good luck all!!

Hi there! I would love someone to help look over my essays. I'm really dedicated this year, and I need more help from former scholars.

Email: bui23353[at]gmail.com

Just submitted my application for Sweden. I graduated a little over a year ago and applied for a full grant through my alma mater. Now it's time to prepare for the interview and get ready for a long wait.

Is anyone else applying for grad school as well? I'm going to apply at a few top choice PhD programs this year, but it could be a tough choice if I were offered Fulbright and a great funded acceptance (though I certainly won't complain if I end up in that situation!)

Just submitted my application for Sweden. I graduated a little over a year ago and applied for a full grant through my alma mater. Now it's time to prepare for the interview and get ready for a long wait.

Is anyone else applying for grad school as well? I'm going to apply at a few top choice PhD programs this year, but it could be a tough choice if I were offered Fulbright and a great funded acceptance (though I certainly won't complain if I end up in that situation!)

Hi mayanway!

I graduated in May, and I am applying for grad schools simultaneously as well. I'm finding it daunting to study for the GRE while also applying for Fulbright but let's hope it produces good results for both of us!

Guys I am stressing hardcore. I asked for affiliation letters in August and I got three yes replies. I emailed them to finalize a week ago and none of them have replied! I sent a follow up to the one I am most interested in but I don't want to be a nag... But I'm also only three weeks out from applying!! How nagging should I be? Should I assume they are no longer interested? One seemed especially enthusiastic so I am confused :(

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know if we can/are allowed to bold/underline things in our statement? 

I caps locked and bolded the headings of my statement of grant purpose. My university's committee didn't say anything about it and I followed a format I saw of a previous Fulbright essay online that was from a winning recipient, so I am guessing yes? 

BTW I am a new poster here! Not to GradCafe though since I did this whole rejection/accept forum deals for PhD applications in Fall 2011. I am applying for a Research Grant in Latin America and I just finished doing the final revisions for my proposal since I had my fulbright interview on Monday (I am in the top projects among my university so hopefully the good vibes continue until march  B)). It was fun reading everyone getting accepted last year and the year before. Good luck to everyone in the next coming weeks!!! 

I submitted my Fulbright ETA application two days ago for Macedonia. Hopefully the end of January will be here like nothing -- with positive feedback! How do the rest of you feel about your applications?

I caps locked and bolded the headings of my statement of grant purpose. My university's committee didn't say anything about it and I followed a format I saw of a previous Fulbright essay online that was from a winning recipient, so I am guessing yes? 

BTW I am a new poster here! Not to GradCafe though since I did this whole rejection/accept forum deals for PhD applications in Fall 2011. I am applying for a Research Grant in Latin America and I just finished doing the final revisions for my proposal since I had my fulbright interview on Monday (I am in the top projects among my university so hopefully the good vibes continue until march  B)). It was fun reading everyone getting accepted last year and the year before. Good luck to everyone in the next coming weeks!!! 

Ah I formatted my proposal like how I would submit to an NSF grant/NSF GRFP (so I bolded specific statements, underlined, etc.). Maybe I'll just make everything plain text to be safe

Hey all,

I don't think anyone has posted this yet, if you have I apologise for the duplication, but the spreadsheet of notifications was nice for reducing stress last round. Here is the link

https://docs.google.com/a/uw.edu/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE&pli=1#gid=1

Anybody want to update it?

Hey all,

I don't think anyone has posted this yet, if you have I apologise for the duplication, but the spreadsheet of notifications was nice for reducing stress last round. Here is the link

https://docs.google.com/a/uw.edu/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE&pli=1#gid=1

Anybody want to update it?

Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to participate in the update; however, it does look like it would be of extreme value to the other applicants.

That awkward moment when despite my annoying emails NONE OF MY REFERENCES HAVE SUBMITTED YET -___-

Can you speak with them in person (gently) to stress the time sensitivity of the letters?

Hi everyone, just wanted to give you a heads up and tell you to double check the pdf version of the application form. 10 days ago I printed a preview and yesterday that I printed another one I noticed that  some changes were done in the question that pertains to degrees expected/earned.

The Embark application form has always asked if you have been awarded or expect a PhD. The first time I selected yes and I inputed the date of my expected graduation, but when my school printed the application form the question from the .PDF preview was "Earned PhD" which appeared as I selected as "yes". This is a  big deal since if it states that I have a PhD I would be moved to another pile for Fulbright Scholars or my application could have been dumped! That was a change my University's Fulbright Committee told me to select as "No" since I didn't have a PhD yet, but yesterday as I was going to submit the final version, I printed the preview and the question now said "Earned or Expected" which I had to go back and select yes again (urrrghhh). 

This was a change that occurred in recent days, so I am not sure if they were correcting the original error since the question in Embark wasn't matching the preview, or what, but make sure to review the question in the PDF if you haven't submitted it yet!

Hopefully no further changes will occur since I am sure people have submitted their applications already.

Edited by ibette

I'm so excited! This is actually happening! I've written my essays and had them reviewed by two former fellows, so I have a good feeling this year. AND all of my recommendation letters are in.

I hope people are having the same kind of luck! :D

The Embark application form has always asked if you have been awarded or expect a PhD. The first time I selected yes and I inputed the date of my expected graduation, but when my school printed the application form the question from the .PDF preview was "Earned PhD" which appeared as I selected as "yes". This is a  big deal since if it states that I have a PhD I would be moved to another pile for Fulbright Scholars or my application could have been dumped! That was a change my University's Fulbright Committee told me to select as "No" since I didn't have a PhD yet, but yesterday as I was going to submit the final version, I printed the preview and the question now said "Earned or Expected" which I had to go back and select yes again (urrrghhh).

I just wanted to let you know that I contacted the Embark people about this, and this was their response:

Question #45, on Page 5 of your application asks:

Doctoral Degree: Do you currently hold or will you be awarded a doctoral degree? If yes, indicate date awarded/expected.

The answer 'Yes' means you either have your PhD OR WILL BE awarded a PhD.

The PDF preview has worded it slightly differently, but the answers you have provided are correct.

-- Embark Support

In other words, if you answer question #45 accurately, you don't need to worry about how it appears on the PDF preview, you are fine.

Hey all - Joining in the stress! One of my letters still isn't uploaded, and I am waiting on my advisor to get back to me with final comments . . .

A quick question: Are you all submitting your statements as Word documents or as pdf files?