Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I'm not even thinking about this until January.  I have classes to teach, a syllabus to possibly write, a paper to finish and present, and a million family gatherings (both with my family and my SO's) in the meantime.

heyo! kermit the frog here..

No.. but anyway...

For those of those who did not apply last round and don't me, I am a current ETA in Germany... AND I'M LOVING IT!!!!

So, you guys just got through one of the hardest parts of the process.. but unfortunately the hardest part is yet to come. The only advice I have to give is.. Just sit tight. You still have quite a while to wait. Even if the website says you should hear back by a certain date, I would not put too much stock into it. You honestly just never know when you are going to hear back. Last round, some people who applied to the same country heard back within weeks of each other. It's excruciating and frustrating as hell, but I can tell you from the other side it is WELL worth the torture. Good luck to everyone and try and keep your sanity!!!

Yayyy!! Your still out there! So happy for you that you got to Germany, congratulations! 

Hey:

I have been following this blog for a bit now. Recently received e-mail on my recommendation (Nov 6, 2013) to Fulbright Research Award in the UK. Current occupation law enforcement in Los Angeles, mid 30's, MA degree and looking to finishing PH.D at Univ of St. Andrews..

I applied for the Fulbright Scholar Award..

What happens after the first recommendation?

Edited by Bluefit

Hey:

I have been following this blog for a bit now. Recently received e-mail on my recommendation (Nov 6, 2013) to Fulbright Research Award in the UK. Current occupation law enforcement in Los Angeles, mid 30's, MA degree and looking to finishing PH.D at Univ of St. Andrews..

I applied for the Fulbright Scholar Award..

What happens after the first recommendation?

Well, if they asked you for more documentation you should get on sending it. For the research awards if we make it through the rec process we have to send another round of transcripts, only they have to be official this time. Then you wait....and wait....and wait...

You can check the past spreadsheets to find out when others were notified and/or to contact them: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsJrSSHnssqFdHNPell4VVZwWDgtWUpQcTVVeWM0bWc&usp=sharing#gid=27

"Well, if they asked you for more documentation you should get on sending it. For the research awards if we make it through the rec process we have to send another round of transcripts, only they have to be official this time. Then you wait....and wait....and wait...

You can check the past spreadsheets to find out when others were notified and/or to contact them: "

https://docs.google....=sharing#gid=27

Thank you for the response.  No additional documentation asked for. I guess it's wait and see if I get shortlisted for an in country interview.

Thanks again

Edited by Bluefit

"Well, if they asked you for more documentation you should get on sending it. For the research awards if we make it through the rec process we have to send another round of transcripts, only they have to be official this time. Then you wait....and wait....and wait...

You can check the past spreadsheets to find out when others were notified and/or to contact them: "

https://docs.google....=sharing#gid=27

Thank you for the response.  No additional documentation asked for. I guess it's wait and see if I get shortlisted for an in country interview.

Thanks again

I think user "Amirah" might possibly be confusing the Scholar award with the Student award? I pose that as I too applied for a scholar position, and from my understanding, there should be no further requests for additional documents. With the Scholar award, you make it through the national review (announced Nov-Dec), and then are forwarded on to the country, with final decisions being made by May 2014. 

It's a horrible wait, but fortunately, like many others here, I have quite a bit to get done, which helps with "passing time". No dissertation, no scholar award (if granted)!

What is your all's opinion on grad school deferment if offered a Fulbright? I've applied to about 11 grad schools as a back up plan, and i can't find their policies on deferment. Have you found that the vast majority will make a deferment exception for a Fulbright? It seems like something they'd like to have to add to their repertoire--a Fulbright scholar! I'm applying for MFA creative writing programs as my back up, but I really love some of the schools. 

What is your all's opinion on grad school deferment if offered a Fulbright? I've applied to about 11 grad schools as a back up plan, and i can't find their policies on deferment. Have you found that the vast majority will make a deferment exception for a Fulbright? It seems like something they'd like to have to add to their repertoire--a Fulbright scholar! I'm applying for MFA creative writing programs as my back up, but I really love some of the schools. 

I would take Fulbright first. Fulbright enhances your application and might be the missing puzzle piece to get into your top choice school. Most graduate programs (at least in my field) will give you until April 1st to make a decision. If the worst case scenario happens, as in, you get alternative status and then get accepted past that deadline (like June), I would still run with the Fulbright. I would say most schools would be okay with you taking advantage of that opportunity especially if you will be entering their program afterwards (helps with the university and department's stats). This all depends on your school, funding opportunities, as well as your advisor's point of view though. You might even want to re-apply to graduate school after Fulbright since it might enhance your application for higher ranked MFA programs. 

I think user "Amirah" might possibly be confusing the Scholar award with the Student award? I pose that as I too applied for a scholar position, and from my understanding, there should be no further requests for additional documents. With the Scholar award, you make it through the national review (announced Nov-Dec), and then are forwarded on to the country, with final decisions being made by May 2014. 

It's a horrible wait, but fortunately, like many others here, I have quite a bit to get done, which helps with "passing time". No dissertation, no scholar award (if granted)!

Yah I think there was probably some confusion. May I ask have you received an email for recommendation? Last year I see a few people found out by February, so hopefully we'll see

Edited by Bluefit

Yah I think there was probably some confusion. May I ask have you received an email for recommendation? Last year I see a few people found out by February, so hopefully we'll see

Oh good lord, NO! I wish I had received a confirmation for a recommendation! 

As mentioned, I have a dissertation to complete, so I have plenty of stuff to work on while I wait. My application stated I'd have my dissertation completed prior to the Fulbright, so I have **quite** some pressure to get that done. Yah, i might be regretting that decision to put that in my statement...

Oh good lord, NO! I wish I had received a confirmation for a recommendation! e

As mentioned, I have a dissertation to complete, so I have plenty of stuff to work on while I wait. My application stated I'd have my dissertation completed prior to the Fulbright, so I have **quite** some pressure to get that done. Yah, i might be regretting that decision to put that in my statement...

Okay!!! good luck.. I received my email Nov 6th..  I guess I'll just wait it out. I will use the Fulbright award to do my PH.D related to terrorism.. Anyways good luck to you!!!!

Did anyone receive letters of affiliation after the deadline? I got one before the deadline, and two after the deadline. Is anyone in the same position? Would it be appropriate to share these letters with the committee if we make the first round of cuts? Or not?

Did anyone receive letters of affiliation after the deadline? I got one before the deadline, and two after the deadline. Is anyone in the same position? Would it be appropriate to share these letters with the committee if we make the first round of cuts? Or not?r

I believe you can send them in after the fact. Just notify your Fulbright person in charge of the one you applied for. I applied for the Scholar/ research award so it may be a bit different then the ETA one

Umm, nope. I spoke to the research award. It's the only thing I have familiarity with. I don't know anything about the Scholar award but I thought it would be helpful and supportive to share what I do know, that's why I specified in my original post that I was referring to the research award. Sorry for the confusion.

Come sometime in January (hopefully) those applying for research/study awards will, if they make it through the first round receive an email which looks like this:

"I am pleased to inform you that the National Screening Committee of the Institute of International Education (IIE) has recommended you for a grant under the Fulbright U.S. Student Program for the academic year 2013-14. Your application has been forwarded to the supervising agency abroad for final review.  In addition, your application will be forwarded to the program sponsor, the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States Department of State, for transmittal to the presidentially-appointed J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB).  The FFSB makes final decisions on Fulbright awards. 

This letter is not notification of a grant since the number of recommended candidates exceeds the number of awards available.  If you are selected for an award, you will receive notification of your status from the FFSB.  If you are named an alternate or are not selected, you will be notified by IIE.  For further information about the next stage in the selection process, go to the website:  http://us.fulbrightonline.org/information-for-recommended-candidates 

Since selection is a lengthy process, the final decision for some countries may not be made before the end of June.  In the meantime, it is important that you advise us immediately if there are factors that could preclude you from accepting the grant. Receipt of a grant is contingent upon: (a) submission of official hard copies of your transcripts (see below); ( completion of the bachelor’s degree for graduating seniors; ( c ) approval by the FSB; (d) concurrence by the supervising agency abroad; (e) medical and research clearances; (f) security factors in the country of your application; (g) availability of funds; and (h) participation in a Pre-Departure Orientation, where required.

Congratulations on your success in the preliminary stages of the competition. 

Sincerely yours, 

Daniel Kramer

Director, U.S. Student Programs 

Please arrange to have official transcripts from your current academic institution (if enrolled) and all institutions from which you received a Bachelor’s or Master’s or doctoral degree sent to: 

OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS

U.S. Student ProgramsInstitute of International Education

809 United Nations Plaza

New York, NY 10017 

IIE must receive these transcripts by March 1, 2013 at the latest in order for you to continue to be considered for a 2013-14 Fulbright grant. Transcripts must be in the original sealed envelope as issued by the Registrar’s office.  See the website above for more information. "

Edited by amirah

Umm, nope. I spoke to the research award. It's the only thing I have familiarity with. I don't know anything about the Scholar award but I thought it would be helpful and supportive to share what I do know, that's why I specified in my original post that I was referring to the research award. Sorry for the confusion.

Come sometime in January (hopefully) those applying for research/study awards will, if they make it through the first round receive an email which looks like this:

"I am pleased to inform you that the National Screening Committee of the Institute of International Education (IIE) has recommended you for a grant under the Fulbright U.S. Student Program for the academic year 2013-14. Your application has been forwarded to the supervising agency abroad for final review.  In addition, your application will be forwarded to the program sponsor, the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States Department of State, for transmittal to the presidentially-appointed J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB).  The FFSB makes final decisions on Fulbright awards. 

This letter is not notification of a grant since the number of recommended candidates exceeds the number of awards available.  If you are selected for an award, you will receive notification of your status from the FFSB.  If you are named an alternate or are not selected, you will be notified by IIE.  For further information about the next stage in the selection process, go to the website:  http://us.fulbrightonline.org/information-for-recommended-candidates 

Since selection is a lengthy process, the final decision for some countries may not be made before the end of June.  In the meantime, it is important that you advise us immediately if there are factors that could preclude you from accepting the grant. Receipt of a grant is contingent upon: (a) submission of official hard copies of your transcripts (see below); ( completion of the bachelor’s degree for graduating seniors; ( c ) approval by the FSB; (d) concurrence by the supervising agency abroad; (e) medical and research clearances; (f) security factors in the country of your application; (g) availability of funds; and (h) participation in a Pre-Departure Orientation, where required.

Congratulations on your success in the preliminary stages of the competition. 

Sincerely yours, 

Daniel Kramer

Director, U.S. Student Programs 

Please arrange to have official transcripts from your current academic institution (if enrolled) and all institutions from which you received a Bachelor’s or Master’s or doctoral degree sent to: 

OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS

U.S. Student ProgramsInstitute of International Education

809 United Nations Plaza

New York, NY 10017 

IIE must receive these transcripts by March 1, 2013 at the latest in order for you to continue to be considered for a 2013-14 Fulbright grant. Transcripts must be in the original sealed envelope as issued by the Registrar’s office.  See the website above for more information. "

This was what  I received Nov 6th.

" It is a pleasure to inform you that the peer review process organized by IIE’s Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES) has been completed and that you are among those recommended for a Fulbright research award in United Kingdom.

Please know that this peer review process constitutes only the first phase of the rigorous review process Fulbright applicants undergo. CIES will next forward your application to: the United States-United Kingdom Educational Commission in United Kingdom, to the U.S. Department of State and to the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board for final consideration. Applications will be reviewed in light of program priorities and budget. Not all applications that were recommended in the peer review process will be selected for grants."

This is only the beginning of the letter: The middle discusses things to not do at this stage lie book travel. The letter ends like this:

"On behalf of CIES, please accept my heartfelt congratulations on having successfully completed the first stage of the Fulbright review process. Thank you for your interest in the Fulbright Scholar Program and in its important mission, and best wishes for you and your work."

Anyways good luck to all

I've been avoiding the forum for a while since I've been busy with work, traveling, and other applications, but just wanted to know that there are other people out there just as nervous as I am.

Let's keep out fingers crossed that the people reviewing our applications are in a good mood when doing so.

:D

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and decided to join because I'm going through crazy anxiety during the waiting process. I've researched everything I could POSSIBLY find about Fulbright, the national screening committee, what my host country is looking for, etc. Little bit about me: I have recently received my M.S. in Cultural Anthropology and have applied for a Fulbright research grant for Armenia 2014-2015. I want to work with ethnic Armenian refugee women from Syria, Iraq, and Azerbaijan, in a very tiny nutshell. I won't bore you with the specifics, but I welcome any advice/pep talks and would be glad to reciprocate. Looking forward to hearing from you all! :)

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and decided to join because I'm going through crazy anxiety during the waiting process. I've researched everything I could POSSIBLY find about Fulbright, the national screening committee, what my host country is looking for, etc. Little bit about me: I have recently received my M.S. in Cultural Anthropology and have applied for a Fulbright research grant for Armenia 2014-2015. I want to work with ethnic Armenian refugee women from Syria, Iraq, and Azerbaijan, in a very tiny nutshell. I won't bore you with the specifics, but I welcome any advice/pep talks and would be glad to reciprocate. Looking forward to hearing from you all! :)

sounds like an interesting topic.. I applied to the Fulbright Research award for terrorism. i already received an email of recommendation.. Of course the UK commission may tell me no.. I made the first hurdle.

Does anyone know if all the UK first cut emails have already been released? If I applied for a UK grant and didn't get an email yet, does that mean I'm out?

I don't now. Not sure if any besides mine went out. I received mine Nov 6th. Several people stated they have not received an email either way yet.

I don't now. Not sure if any besides mine went out. I received mine Nov 6th. Several people stated they have not received an email either way yet.

Bluefit, you applied for a Fulbright Scholar Grant which is different from Fulbright ETAs or Fulbright Full Grants. I believe this is why you have gotten a response so early. The Fulbright Scholar Grants are for professionals already in the field, while the other grants are for current students or recent graduates. Hope this helps explain why some people haven't heard yet!