Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Has anyone else seen on the Fulbright website that it gives the exact date of notification: January 31??? I know last year we were told on Jan. 18, and that the exact date has never been given before. Do you think it's notification BY January 31 or that is THE day??

It says "Notification on January 31, 2014." I imagine that the emails or calls with be sent on that day at the latest, since the "National Screening Committee" is from November to the end of December. In any case, I imagine that is THE day they will go out.

It says "Notification on January 31, 2014." I imagine that the emails or calls with be sent on that day at the latest, since the "National Screening Committee" is from November to the end of December. In any case, I imagine that is THE day they will go out.

I am pretty sure we'll know before that date. I have always seen the January 31st deadline on previous online Fulbright calendars.

Is anyone looking into alternative options (knocking on wood) in case you are not recommended for a Fulbright? 

Partners of the Americas is gauging interest from potential applicants and institutional partners about a program that would support volunteers to teach English in Colombia for 6 months to 1 year. Volunteers would only pay for their airfare and do not necessarily need to be experienced ESL teachers--Volunteers would receive support before and during their travel, including in-country orientation and support. (Additional information available below the following questions.)

· Would you be interested in this opportunity? If so, starting in January or July 2014? For 6 or 12 months?

· Do you know of any institutions that may be interested in partnering with Partners of the Americas to recruit volunteers?

· What questions would you have before committing to the program?

Your feedback and any other relevant advice, expertise, and questions are greatly appreciated! Please contact me at cdonahue@partners.net or by phone at 202-637-6212.

Additional Background:

Partners of the Americas is in the early stages of developing a program with Servicio Nacional de Aprendizaje (SENA) in Colombia in which U.S. volunteers would serve for 6-12 months in one of 5 cities in Colombia, beginning in 2014. The program would include pre-trip support for participants, in-country orientation, and in-country logistical support. Volunteers would also receive a stipend to cover the cost of their living expenses in-country. While experience teaching English would not be a requirement, volunteers should be able to demonstrate a level of maturity and professionalism needed for an intense teaching experience and extended international experience.

Partners has a rich relationship with SENA, as we have collaborated on several other initiatives in the past. We also have a very strong and growing network in Colombia (50 years of international partnerships, 5 Colombian chapter organizations, and 6 PartnersCampus student organizations). We will utilize the strength of our network to develop a thorough program plan and to ensure that volunteers are well supported while they are in-country.

With 2014 serving as a pilot year for the program, we’d hope to develop sustainable institutional partnerships to continue the flow of English teachers to Colombia into the future.

Hey All,

You can find last year's spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE&usp=sharing

I haven't spent the time to go through this thread to see if anyone has made one for 2014-2015, but some brave soul should consider it!

If anyone will be applying to India next year, you'll find me, still hanging around in Calcutta. 

Good luck you all!

Is anyone looking into alternative options (knocking on wood) in case you are not recommended for a Fulbright? 

Partners of the Americas is gauging interest from potential applicants and institutional partners about a program that would support volunteers to teach English in Colombia for 6 months to 1 year. Volunteers would only pay for their airfare and do not necessarily need to be experienced ESL teachers--Volunteers would receive support before and during their travel, including in-country orientation and support. (Additional information available below the following questions.)

· Would you be interested in this opportunity? If so, starting in January or July 2014? For 6 or 12 months?

· Do you know of any institutions that may be interested in partnering with Partners of the Americas to recruit volunteers?

· What questions would you have before committing to the program?

Your feedback and any other relevant advice, expertise, and questions are greatly appreciated! Please contact me at cdonahue@partners.net or by phone at 202-637-6212.

Additional Background:

Partners of the Americas is in the early stages of developing a program with Servicio Nacional de Aprendizaje (SENA) in Colombia in which U.S. volunteers would serve for 6-12 months in one of 5 cities in Colombia, beginning in 2014. The program would include pre-trip support for participants, in-country orientation, and in-country logistical support. Volunteers would also receive a stipend to cover the cost of their living expenses in-country. While experience teaching English would not be a requirement, volunteers should be able to demonstrate a level of maturity and professionalism needed for an intense teaching experience and extended international experience.

Partners has a rich relationship with SENA, as we have collaborated on several other initiatives in the past. We also have a very strong and growing network in Colombia (50 years of international partnerships, 5 Colombian chapter organizations, and 6 PartnersCampus student organizations). We will utilize the strength of our network to develop a thorough program plan and to ensure that volunteers are well supported while they are in-country.

With 2014 serving as a pilot year for the program, we’d hope to develop sustainable institutional partnerships to continue the flow of English teachers to Colombia into the future.

This seems really cool especially since I applied to Colombia too, but not for an ETA, so I don't think this would apply for me since I am interested in doing research and it seems like I couldn't spend too much time on it if I would be an English teacher volunteer.

Hello my friends!

I have updated the spreadsheet and hope you will use it, love it, find it useful and a possible stress reliever. I know I did last year. Anyone with the link can edit. I left the 'Region' and 'Status' columns populated so you can just cut and paste your details into it. I started the process. Just make changes according to your particular region and needs. 

It's fun to see the range of people and connect with others who may be in your field/regional interest.

**What I don't have time to do, however, is police the spreadsheet. So please add with care.** Thank you!!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsJrSSHnssqFdHNPell4VVZwWDgtWUpQcTVVeWM0bWc&usp=sharing

Hey All,

You can find last year's spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE&usp=sharing

I haven't spent the time to go through this thread to see if anyone has made one for 2014-2015, but some brave soul should consider it!

If anyone will be applying to India next year, you'll find me, still hanging around in Calcutta. 

Good luck you all!

DONE!! Weehooo!

Hello my friends!

I have updated the spreadsheet and hope you will use it, love it, find it useful and a possible stress reliever. I know I did last year. Anyone with the link can edit. I left the 'Region' and 'Status' columns populated so you can just cut and paste your details into it. I started the process. Just make changes according to your particular region and needs. 

It's fun to see the range of people and connect with others who may be in your field/regional interest.

**What I don't have time to do, however, is police the spreadsheet. So please add with care.** Thank you!!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsJrSSHnssqFdHNPell4VVZwWDgtWUpQcTVVeWM0bWc&usp=sharing

You're awesome, thanks!

Hi all :)

I'm Tamara, a senior finishing up dual degrees in English and music education at the University of South Florida. I'm pursuing an ETA in Moldova. I received a Gilman this past summer to Russia, and have caught the travel/research/teaching bug BIG time!

Has anyone else checked out the projected statistics for your country and track (ETA, study, research)? For me, it's a perfect 2/2! *Crosses fingers* Here's hoping! 

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/eta-grant-application-statistics

Okay, I just spent some time rearranging our spreadsheet so the countries are in alphabetical order :) This will make it easier for us to quickly locate our countries once our list starts to get longer. 

Remember, if you need to add a line, just look at where it needs to go alphabetically, click on a name above/below where it needs to go, and then then click insert--->row above/row below as applicable. 

Hi all :)

I'm Tamara, a senior finishing up dual degrees in English and music education at the University of South Florida. I'm pursuing an ETA in Moldova. I received a Gilman this past summer to Russia, and have caught the travel/research/teaching bug BIG time!

Has anyone else checked out the projected statistics for your country and track (ETA, study, research)? For me, it's a perfect 2/2! *Crosses fingers* Here's hoping! 

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/eta-grant-application-statistics

It's great to see another education major and ETA applicant. Good luck! In case you didn't read earlier, I am a Secondary English Education (grades 7-12) major, and I'm applying for the ETA to Macedonia. Although the projected statistics are a little worse (6/2), I still feel really good about my application!

Hello my friends!

Thanks for this! Any idea why the notifications listed are much later than January, which is currently listed on their website?

Thanks for this! Any idea why the notifications listed are much later than January, which is currently listed on their website?

The notifications are for when you find out your accepted/waitlisted/not accepted status. January is the 1st round notifications. Does that clarify?

It's so odd. I received the generic (automated) email too, but then got another one on top of it. And it seems like it was rushed because Fulbright was spelled wrong in the title. I hope it's a good sign?

Hey all,

I'm newly registered here on GradCafe, but I've been lurking for a few weeks and wanted to try to follow up on this question.  Did anyone else receive a confirmation email from Fulbright or just the one from Embark?  I submitted my application in August and only ever got the automated Embark message, which stated "You will also receive a confirmation email from Fulbright to confirm that your application has been received.  Important: The admissions office may be very busy this time of year and it can take several days before you are sent the confirmation email."  Can't imagine it's an issue and I should probably just sit back, chill out, and wait for the January notification, but if anyone else can let me know they're in the same boat I'd surely feel a little less anxious.  Thanks!

At any rate, I'm applying to the ETA program in Colombia.  From the stats I've looked at it seems like the Colombia program accepts somewhere between 1/6 and 1/7 of the applicants each year.  I'm currently at-large in the working world since finishing my Master's in Spanish Linguistics in 2011, but also applying to PhD programs in second language acquisition and Spanish linguistics.  If I'm accepted to Fulbright I'm hoping to be able to defer any PhD programs until Fall 2015.  

Thanks to amirah for updating the spreadsheet, and to everyone for providing a slight respite from my unrest and stress.  

heyo! kermit the frog here..

No.. but anyway...

For those of those who did not apply last round and don't me, I am a current ETA in Germany... AND I'M LOVING IT!!!!

So, you guys just got through one of the hardest parts of the process.. but unfortunately the hardest part is yet to come. The only advice I have to give is.. Just sit tight. You still have quite a while to wait. Even if the website says you should hear back by a certain date, I would not put too much stock into it. You honestly just never know when you are going to hear back. Last round, some people who applied to the same country heard back within weeks of each other. It's excruciating and frustrating as hell, but I can tell you from the other side it is WELL worth the torture. Good luck to everyone and try and keep your sanity!!!

Edited by there'sanappforthat

heyo! kermit the frog here..

No.. but anyway...

For those of those who did not apply last round and don't me, I am a current ETA in Germany... AND I'M LOVING IT!!!!

So, you guys just got through one of the hardest parts of the process.. but unfortunately the hardest part is yet to come. The only advice I have to give is.. Just sit tight. You still have quite a while to wait. Even if the website says you should hear back by a certain date, I would not put too much stock into it. You honestly just never know when you are going to hear back. Last round, some people who applied to the same country heard back within weeks of each other. It's excruciating and frustrating as hell, but I can tell you from the other side it is WELL worth the torture. Good luck to everyone and try and keep your sanity!!!

Would you be able to give us an idea of what your timeline looked like? There are a lot more applicants on here for the research grant, so some advice from an ETA for an ETA would be great! :)

Hey all,

I'm newly registered here on GradCafe, but I've been lurking for a few weeks and wanted to try to follow up on this question.  Did anyone else receive a confirmation email from Fulbright or just the one from Embark?  I submitted my application in August and only ever got the automated Embark message, which stated "You will also receive a confirmation email from Fulbright to confirm that your application has been received.  Important: The admissions office may be very busy this time of year and it can take several days before you are sent the confirmation email."  Can't imagine it's an issue and I should probably just sit back, chill out, and wait for the January notification, but if anyone else can let me know they're in the same boat I'd surely feel a little less anxious.  Thanks!

At any rate, I'm applying to the ETA program in Colombia.  From the stats I've looked at it seems like the Colombia program accepts somewhere between 1/6 and 1/7 of the applicants each year.  I'm currently at-large in the working world since finishing my Master's in Spanish Linguistics in 2011, but also applying to PhD programs in second language acquisition and Spanish linguistics.  If I'm accepted to Fulbright I'm hoping to be able to defer any PhD programs until Fall 2015.  

Thanks to amirah for updating the spreadsheet, and to everyone for providing a slight respite from my unrest and stress.  

I got the same confirmation e-mail you mentioned above, but after my university submitted the application to fulbright I got the second one. Not sure how it works when applying At-large. I would e-mail the advisor for Western Hemisphere and just discuss with them the issue in case something happened to the confirmation e-mail (check your junk e-mail too, it could be that it was directed there in August and since it's been over X amount of time sitting at your junk mail, it got deleted). It's better to ask now since they're barely starting to review the applications in this coming weeks. 

I am applying to the Full Grant in Colombia too which are the 6-7 spots, for Colombia ETAs there are actually 30 spots. http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedcountry/143

Hi! I lurked here for a while as well. I was wondering if anyone else was applying to Germany for a research/study grant. I am a recent graduate interested in a philosophy master's degree at a top German university. I was wondering if anyone knows of others who have studied for a master's degree. I feel a bit anxious having to wait so long! My project was strong and precise (I thought), and my personal statement also seemed good. Good recs from professors I took graduate courses with. Graduated magna cum laude from a top 5 university. So, anyone in a similar boat? Waiting...waiting....

I got the same confirmation e-mail you mentioned above, but after my university submitted the application to fulbright I got the second one. Not sure how it works when applying At-large. I would e-mail the advisor for Western Hemisphere and just discuss with them the issue in case something happened to the confirmation e-mail (check your junk e-mail too, it could be that it was directed there in August and since it's been over X amount of time sitting at your junk mail, it got deleted). It's better to ask now since they're barely starting to review the applications in this coming weeks. 

I am applying to the Full Grant in Colombia too which are the 6-7 spots, for Colombia ETAs there are actually 30 spots. http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedcountry/143

Hey, thanks, I really appreciate it.  Just sent out a follow-up email to our program manager.  Btw, if anyone needs to contact their region's program managers about issues like this, here's the contact info page: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/component/content/article?id=105 (had to poke around for a bit finding it, so I figure I'd save anyone else the time if you need it). 

Also, yea, sorry, I now realize I was unintentionally confusing with the way I presented the odds of getting accepted to the Colombia ETA program, which actually accepts the second largest number of applicants, behind Brazil.  I really just meant that because last year 25/180 were accepted and they're saying this year it'll be more like 30/180, that 1 in every 6 or 7 applicants should be selected.  Like you said, there are far fewer full Study/Research grants approved each year, but best of wishes to you!  

Hey, thanks, I really appreciate it.  Just sent out a follow-up email to our program manager.  Btw, if anyone needs to contact their region's program managers about issues like this, here's the contact info page: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/component/content/article?id=105 (had to poke around for a bit finding it, so I figure I'd save anyone else the time if you need it). 

Also, yea, sorry, I now realize I was unintentionally confusing with the way I presented the odds of getting accepted to the Colombia ETA program, which actually accepts the second largest number of applicants, behind Brazil.  I really just meant that because last year 25/180 were accepted and they're saying this year it'll be more like 30/180, that 1 in every 6 or 7 applicants should be selected.  Like you said, there are far fewer full Study/Research grants approved each year, but best of wishes to you!  

PS: Lo and behold, 20 minutes after sending the email, got confirmation from Fulbright.  Thanks again for the suggestion, definitely eased the anxiety.