Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I just came across this forum and can't believe it exists. I'm in a grad school in Texas and applied for a research grant to Panama in history and haven't heard back yet. I should be studying for my comprehensive exams in April, but I keep having stress dreams about Fulbright notifications. Did anyone else apply to Panama or another country in Central America? I'm curious as to whether anyone has been notified about the first stage. 

I have had several crazy dreams about Fulbright recently too. Hopefully we only have to wait another 10 days!!

No idea, but I was wondering if anyone else has told potential future employers about applying for a Fulbright? I decided to not broadcast it up front, but I was just curious about how others have addressed this!

No idea, but I was wondering if anyone else has told potential future employers about applying for a Fulbright? I decided to not broadcast it up front, but I was just curious about how others have addressed this!

I haven't told anyone, because that's all it is: an application. It doesn't make sense to try to use it to your advantage at this point -- unless, for whatever reason, you've already heard positive feedback from them.

Great idea! I haven't mentioned it to anyone not because I think it will give me a leg-up, but because I don't want to scare the employers away with the uncertainty of the Fulbright application. Thank you!

I'm a full research grant, already have Masters, received recommendation email Nov 6th and was short listed with an interview Jan 21.

Just to clarify I think the orignial poster is referring to the Full Research grant which no one should know until the second, third week of January. Bluefit applied to a Scholar Full Research grant which is different :) 

Does anyone know if we will be notified of our recommendation status after or at the same time as our campus advisors?

From previous threads, it seems that the Fulbright campus advisors find out at the same time or after the applicants. 

I think the general consensus (judging from previous years) is that we will be notified in two weeks or so. In the mean time, good luck to everyone! Sending good vibes and thoughts!

You won't hear about the first "round" until January 31st at the latest. However, based off the past few years, this date may be more like Jan 17 or 18. After reading through last year's post, there were a flurry of notifications to Program Advisers before everyone found out. Most likely, if you follow this thread you will have a pretty good idea of when this first notification will occur. If you're provided recommendation to the second "round", the notification times will vary based on region. There's a useful spreadsheet lurking around that has notification dates from previous years, and may therefore provide a bit of insight. 

Are you referring to quals when you say comprehensive exams? I'm surprised you're having stress dreams about the Fulbright, and not those

I think quals are the same. I'm in my second yr ph.d and need to take my comprehensive exams before I am ABD. In my case, two for my major, three for my minors. Honestly, I've been having stress dreams about both. I hate studying for my exams not knowing if I will be funded in a couple months for research. I'm going to take everyone's advice and just check the previous spreadsheets made on the forum.

Hi everyone!

I'm not extremely well-versed on Fulbright awards, so please forgive me if my questions are ignorant...I've read through a lot of the information online, but getting some knowledgeable, direct responses would be fantastic.

So, I graduated from undergrad in 2009, and have worked full time since 2010. I work for a non-profit and am the director of an energy services program. Most of our programs are directed towards assisting low income people with energy efficiency means, which could be very extensive. With this in mind, I'm planning on pursuing a masters degree in international energy policy/international development (the Johns Hopkins ERE program through SAIS is my main interest), and I'm planning on applying for the fall of 2015.

My idea is to apply for a Fulbright Scholarship to Iceland, with the very short version of the idea dealing with the development of alternative energy sectors and applying it to the developing world.

It appears that I fit the credentials for the student application (less than 5 years work experience), but I guess I'm looking for some guidance in whether or not I truly do fit into this category, if I'd be better suited applying for this once I began my grad school, if I should do so now since it runs parallel to what I'm hoping to study, if I have no shot since I'm not currently enrolled and not in undergrad anymore etc.

Any guidance for a newcomer would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks!

I applied to a Fulbright after I got into Gradschool so I can have more experience in research and theory since I am required to take courses in the host country. I also got extra support and resources in filling out my application which I think was beneficial than if I had applied before graduate school. 

OK, just so I can psychologically prepare myself:

Is it the general consensus that next Friday (the 17th) is "The Day"?

It's I think the best guess given that last year they heard on Friday, January 18th and the year before that it was on Thursday, January 19th. I think the emails usually go out between 5 to 6PM in the evening.

Hey everyone! I'm from Tennessee and I applied for an ETA grant to South Korea.

I wish I had found this forum earlier... because like most of you, I don't think I've ever felt this nervous about anything in my entire life! I have GOT to find something else to occupy my mind for the next couple of weeks. This is just torture being on winter break while waiting to hear back from the Commission. Binge-watching all of the television I missed during the semester just isn't distracting me enough.  :) 

​Good luck everyone! (Anyone else applying to South Korea?)

Hey everyone! I'm from Tennessee and I applied for an ETA grant to South Korea.

I wish I had found this forum earlier... because like most of you, I don't think I've ever felt this nervous about anything in my entire life! I have GOT to find something else to occupy my mind for the next couple of weeks. This is just torture being on winter break while waiting to hear back from the Commission. Binge-watching all of the television I missed during the semester just isn't distracting me enough.  :) 

​Good luck everyone! (Anyone else applying to South Korea?)

I didn't apply for South Korea, but I grew up in Middle TN and UT is my alma mater! Good to see another Tri-Stater on here. :) 

I didn't apply for South Korea, but I grew up in Middle TN and UT is my alma mater! Good to see another Tri-Stater on here. :)

GO VOLS! (I'm at ETSU, but we're in Knoxvegas for football/basketball games all the time) :)

Yes! I'm thinking of ways to keep myself even busier next week so I won't sit there and be an anxious mess.

Well everyone becomes a mess up to notification time. Good luck!!!!!

I am back in the States therefore back to the waiting game reality.The only thing that consoles me is that I will be very busy the next coming weeks with work and school, blegh.  :rolleyes:

Anyone else on here applying for a full research grant to France? 

I returned to Gradcafe after using it several years ago when applying to grad schools. Such a great source for application info, results...and anxiety. 

Edited by Cicero

Anyone else on here applying for a full research grant to France? 

I returned to Gradcafe after using it several years ago when applying to grad schools. Such a great source for application info, results...and anxiety. 

I am :) I agree that it's really nice being able to talk to other people who have been there and who are also in your situation.

Where in France are you hoping to conduct your research?