Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

i dont think mine will allow it. does it hurt me to apply at large rather than with a university?

I think you SHOULD be able to apply through your Alma Mater. I would double check. I applied at large several years after graduating. (I'm going to Germany next month o_o) I really would recommend applying at large if you can. Everyone I have talked to (various advisors and people associated with the Fulbright) said it makes you stand out more. This is just annecdotal evidence, but my sister applied for a full grant independently and didn't receive it. When she reapplied at large, she did! Good luck!

So I was talking to the Fulbright committee member in charge of Africa today, and he advised me that not only is tuition not included in African Fulbrights, but the selection committees are more likely to give grants to people NOT pursuing a degree, but doing an independent research project.

Does this strike anyone as odd? Is there still worth with no degree? I don't think it's like this everywhere, just took me by surprise.

So I was talking to the Fulbright committee member in charge of Africa today, and he advised me that not only is tuition not included in African Fulbrights, but the selection committees are more likely to give grants to people NOT pursuing a degree, but doing an independent research project.

Does this strike anyone as odd? Is there still worth with no degree? I don't think it's like this everywhere, just took me by surprise.

For your first question, while it does not hurt to apply as an at large, I'd highly recommend you try to use your alma mater. You'd be at a disadvantage otherwise. If you find they aren't helping you as much, try to reach out to a faculty member.

For this specific question, remember that Fulbright is first and foremost a cultural exchange. That fact, in and of itself, makes it not odd. Bear it in mind while prepping your application.

Good luck to everyone!

dumb question-if you're applying for a 2 year masters, there is no fulbright that covers two years, is there

I'm not sure what your question is. 

The Fulbright doesn't cover a masters degree. It funds different things like Independent research (while engaging in cultural exchange) or Language exchange (while engaging in cultural exchange). You would do your masters before or after the program, not during. 

Additionally, apply through your old school. You'll have a wealth of resources you wouldn't have otherwise... and it wouldn't make sense for them to not allow you to (unless they have an overwhelming number of applicants) as it looks good for any school to send someone into the Fulbright program (I graduated in May 2011, I applied (through my school) after August of 2012. 

The Fulbright doesn't cover a masters degree. It funds different things like Independent research (while engaging in cultural exchange) or Language exchange (while engaging in cultural exchange). You would do your masters before or after the program, not during. 

Additionally, apply through your old school. You'll have a wealth of resources you wouldn't have otherwise... and it wouldn't make sense for them to not allow you to (unless they have an overwhelming number of applicants) as it looks good for any school to send someone into the Fulbright program (I graduated in May 2011, I applied (through my school) after August of 2012. 

Fulbright definitely covers masters degrees- I know several people who have used Fulbright funding to cover the first year of their masters degrees. However, you still need to have a research project in mind that either motivates your masters or that you can do at the same time, since Fulbright is a research grant. [Edit: You'll need to find different funding for the second year of your masters, since Fulbright won't cover two years.]

Also, I agree that you should apply through your school. The support (and application editing!) you receive is much better than doing it at-large.

Edited by brusselsprouted

Whether or not the Fulbright covers MA degree study varies by country.

For example, the UK country profile states that "Candidates may pursue independent post-BA-level research, or undertake a graduate degree program with affiliation at any accredited academic institution," but this is defitely not the case for Japan.

I'm currently applying as a Fulbright Scholar, as I'll be graduating with my PhD quite soon. I"m wondering if anyone has ever questioned their host institute about possible employment opportunities, just in case the Fulbright doesn't go through. While the Fulbright is the priority, if one still is interested in employment, surely you could contact them and mention that as well?

Hi— does anyone know if candidates to one country are considered in relation to other applicants from their school or in comparision to the entire applicant pool for that country?

I’m a current applicant from a top ten school. A very similar candidate from my university is applying to the same host country as me with a related project. With both have 3 summers of work experience in relevant fields, good gpas, international experience, ect. With this hurt our chances?

Hi— does anyone know if candidates to one country are considered in relation to other applicants from their school or in comparision to the entire applicant pool for that country?

I’m a current applicant from a top ten school. A very similar candidate from my university is applying to the same host country as me with a related project. With both have 3 summers of work experience in relevant fields, good gpas, international experience, ect. With this hurt our chances?

Schools are asked to rank their applicants. Fulbright ranks as well, of course. You could theoretically go from being ranked last by your school to first with Fulbright. Just depends.

Hi! So I am new to this whole process. I am actually studying for the LSAT but I just recently began to seriously consider doing the Fulbright ETA beforehand in a Spanish speaking country. Right now I'm most interested in Spain. 

Any tips? I'm graduating from a four year university this Fall with a degree in economics and I have an Associates degree in Spanish. 

I have a question for those who reapplied and were successful the second time around.

A few years ago I was named as an alternate and am reapplying for the same country/grant again this year.

Should I list that I was a former alternate in the "ACADEMIC HONORS, FELLOWSHIPS, SCHOLARSHIPS, AWARDS" section? I definitely consider it an academic honor, but am not sure if it would seem too overt to mention that I was previously so close to getting the grant...

Thanks!  :)

YES 100% mention it!!! 150%

And one more thing (Sorry!!) Has anyone/is anyone applying at large? Last year I applied through my school but now I've graduated. How much differences does this make? What do I need to do differently?

Hi Kelsey. I graduated in 2012 May. The Fulbright advisor said I could not apply through the school but I could submit my essays to her and ask for help if I needed. She helped me with a few things, but I did not really need her help afterall. You already know the process so I am sure you are fine.

I applied AT LARGE and received the grant for next yr. Before I graduated they had a powerpoint presentation and one of the Fulbright Committee members (from NY I think) was there. I asked him if applying AT LARGE is seen as negatively. He said no.

I worried about it. Think about it this way. if you apply through your school and receive a low rank then that will probably hurt you. If you get a high ranking through your school it may help you. AT LARGE, there are no rankings and just you and your application. To be honest, I'd rather have the FULBRIGHT committee rank me without prejudice from a school ranking :-)

:-)

Edited by krys315

Hi! I applied last year to Denmark, but didn't get the grant (though I made it to the final level of consideration). Since I didn't get into any of the other grad schools I applied to, I'm thinking of reapplying for the grant this year. However, since I graduated last December, I have the option of apply at large. Does anyone have any advice if I should take this option, or should I contact the Fulbright adviser at my University to see if I can apply through the school again?

For any interested, the Turkish University Commission (YOK) has upped the number of ETA's from 50 to 80. Last year they even had around 60 while only advertising 50. 

I had read that Turkiye was looking to expand the program, so I think this would be a really great opportunity for anyone wondering which country they might possibly want to try for. 

I am waiting to hear back from a serious job position, which if I get it I'll have to forego, or at least defer, the Fulbright process for a bit. 

Hey guys!

So--how far along in the application process are you? Last year when I applied by this time I already had a draft of each essay done (!) This year...neither. Have ya'll already talked to your recommenders too? How much have you done! I hope I'm not too far behind. :rolleyes:

I'm about halfway there, I guess.. I just need to make revisions on my essays, finish filling out the on-line application, and get letters of recommendation from two more people. I've already requested them. It will be my first time applying.

One thing I wasn't coached on enough was the budget portion for my Fulbright application. We now live in a world of sequestration, so when you get to that part be thoughtful in the numbers you put down. I would have certainly been more mindful then, if I had known the sequestration was going to happen.

Good luck applicants!!

Sincerely,

Your elderly friend ;)

Hey guys!

So--how far along in the application process are you? Last year when I applied by this time I already had a draft of each essay done (!) This year...neither. Have ya'll already talked to your recommenders too? How much have you done! I hope I'm not too far behind. :rolleyes:

I feel you! I was on top of my game the first time I applied. I'm just so busy with a full-time job and studying for the GRE that I've found no time to research and prepare my applications. Though if I want this grant I better get started! My school is of absolute zero to no help, so I'll have to do a little bit of leg work to get some advisors and previous Fulbright scholars to help me with my essays.

Please Lord, have mercy on us and our tenacious souls!

I feel you! I was on top of my game the first time I applied. I'm just so busy with a full-time job and studying for the GRE that I've found no time to research and prepare my applications. Though if I want this grant I better get started! My school is of absolute zero to no help, so I'll have to do a little bit of leg work to get some advisors and previous Fulbright scholars to help me with my essays.

Please Lord, have mercy on us and our tenacious souls!

You're back!! I remember you from last year! Good luck to you again...let's hope we do it this year..

I applied for the USTA Austrian Fulbright 3 times and mentioned that I was an alternate the previous year in my third application and I was accepted on my third try. I don't know for sure if it helped me or not, but I like to think it did. I don't think it will hurt to write that you were an alternate. It shows a lot of perseverance and dedication.

Did you list it in the "Awards/Honors" part of the bio section, or did you actually mention it in an essay? Thanks so much! :-)

Hey guys!

Finished both documents after multiple drafts!

Edited by Alejo

You're back!! I remember you from last year! Good luck to you again...let's hope we do it this year..

Haha, thanks. I mean definitely. I just started to force myself to brainstorm and flood ideas onto paper, and it's coming together (somewhat). I'm going for a different approach this year. I want to go for humor in my personal statement, then professional and focused on my statement of purpose. Hey, you know what? I have to take risks. I've been going the "safe" route the last two years and it hasn't brought me much success (other than becoming a finalist my first time). So now, I'm going to write in my voice--hopefully it'll come out somewhat panache instead of unrefined and crude, haha. 

#herestohoping

Haha, thanks. I mean definitely. I just started to force myself to brainstorm and flood ideas onto paper, and it's coming together (somewhat). I'm going for a different approach this year. I want to go for humor in my personal statement, then professional and focused on my statement of purpose. Hey, you know what? I have to take risks. I've been going the "safe" route the last two years and it hasn't brought me much success (other than becoming a finalist my first time). So now, I'm going to write in my voice--hopefully it'll come out somewhat panache instead of unrefined and crude, haha. 

#herestohoping

I feel you. That's what I'm trying to do too. When you work with such serious topics it's easy to forget that they want to know what your personality is too. Where are you trying to go this time and what do you want to do??