Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I feel the same way.  Even though I got DENIED (BOOO), I still want to be on here with you people.  None of the other forums for grants I applied for are as vocal and awesome...

Me, too, which is why I keep checking in even now.

Do you guys all have twitter?  Blogs?  If so, and you're willing to share either here or in a PM, let me know and I will follow you.  I'm overworked_ta on twitter.

Current Germany ETA here -- yes, based on last year, the only next step for you is to rank you preferred Bundeslaender -- no translating or extra application materials need to be submitted. They will send you an e-mail regarding the ranking. I doubt they would go back to the old way of doing it; that just seems unnecessary and inefficient.

thanks! do you know how long it was until you got the email from PAD? and how do you like being an ETA?

As for my Fulbright affiliation, a fellow Fulbrighter was the one that connected the dots with my interests and with the host institution's interest. The lead research director came to the US and I was able to have an informal face-to-face interview where they saw my application, project proposal, personal statement, CV, transcript, etc. etc. And after that nerve wrecking meeting they were really excited to work with me and send a letter of affiliation. I think that the fact that they showed a lot of interest might of made my project too feasible. But of course, I still need a 9 month visa and a grant to do the project  :P

I told everyone with whom I worked on my Fulbright application immediately on Tuesday that I didn't get recommended, just to get it over with. But, I just heard from the person I was speaking with at the affiliate university and they want me to come anyway -- pay airfare, living stipend, etc.!!! So, look into it and see it they have fellowships available! After this emotional roller coaster of a week, I actually started crying immediately. But yes, lots of other options out there!

(Sorry for all the exclamation points. I'm really excited.)

I told everyone with whom I worked on my Fulbright application immediately on Tuesday that I didn't get recommended, just to get it over with. But, I just heard from the person I was speaking with at the affiliate university and they want me to come anyway -- pay airfare, living stipend, etc.!!! So, look into it and see it they have fellowships available! After this emotional roller coaster of a week, I actually started crying immediately. But yes, lots of other options out there!

That is amazing!!!! Congratulations, so happy for you! ^______________^

How exciting! I was one of the applications that my school really endorsed a lot and today I have a meeting with one of the interview committee members to discuss my possibility of going another way. Like my affiliate community service agency said, "If it didn't work out, just change the plan, but not the goal!" 

Edited by ibette

The excitement is totally warranted. That's amazing! Way to show everyone that where there's a will, theres a way. 

Hey SmarteyMartey! So glad you found us! It's going to be a (hopefully not too) long (of a) wait before we get the final results, so we're glad to have you with us to share rumors and speculations as we bite our nails and try desperately not to scream. I don't know if Taiwan ETA conducts interviews, but if they do, I could chat with you in Mandarin a bit! Btw, that offer's extended to anyone who'd like a brushup for an interview. I can't say my Mandarin's very good but growing up Chinese American's gotta count for something!

Hello! Thank you for the welcome! I'm glad I stumbled across you guys too! :-) I am glad to be around people that are also biting their nails and trying desperately not to scream! LOL It is rough for me to stay focused. I'm glad to make it past the first round but I have still not heard who they are yet! 

Goodness, if I needed an interview for the ETA, I definitely would have taken you up on that! I appreciate the offer. :-)

Which country did you apply for the ETA if you don't mind my asking?

Hi guys! I guess I'll check in. I lurked around these boards last year and it was nice to know people shared my hysteria. 

I'm also an ETA candidate for Taiwan. I was recommended last year, but ultimately not selected. I'm reapplying this year with (what I think is) a stronger application, and I've been recommended again. 

I can confirm that there is no interview for Taiwan ETA candidates. Last year we were notified of decisions around the 2nd week of April. The notification times vary based on program. For example, some European countries are notified in early March, some like South Korea ETAs are usually notified late March, and Chinese and Taiwan programs are usually late April to early May. 

Good luck all! Don't stress out now, we still have two and a half more months to wait  :P

Hi Chandelier, 

Goodness! Recommended twice! That is excellent and I applaud you for trying again. I wish you all the best for this round! Thank you for the feedback on last year's notifications! I contacted one of my friends, she applied to an ETA two years ago and she also said that it was around early April that she found out about it as well.

I'm using my homework to keep myself as occupied as possible! You're right, no point stressing out now! There's a ways to go!!!  :ph34r:

Hello! Thank you for the welcome! I'm glad I stumbled across you guys too! :-) I am glad to be around people that are also biting their nails and trying desperately not to scream! LOL It is rough for me to stay focused. I'm glad to make it past the first round but I have still not heard who they are yet!

Goodness, if I needed an interview for the ETA, I definitely would have taken you up on that! I appreciate the offer. :-)

Which country did you apply for the ETA if you don't mind my asking?

I don't mind at all! I'm applying for an ETA to Greece. Trying so hard not to think of Fulbright for the next few months and yet I find myself checking my email and this forum every few hours lol.

DC_Bee congratulations!! That's brilliant!! What a testament to your work!

Does anyone know the procedure for interviews? I have information that makes getting an interview seem bad (only given when excess info is needed) but when I checked the UK-US website, it seemed to imply not getting one was a sign that applicants don't move to the next round. Kind of confusing.

Does anyone know the procedure for interviews? I have information that makes getting an interview seem bad (only given when excess info is needed) but when I checked the UK-US website, it seemed to imply not getting one was a sign that applicants don't move to the next round. Kind of confusing.

Posted Today, 09:13 PM

Yes, all applicants for the most part will be interviewed in the second round. Once you are recommended, they will compile a short list. This short list will be interviewed. If you are not short listed, than most likely you will not move on.  Now that's the UK, as it's very competitive and has many applicants. Some places may only have 1 or 2 people so maybe nobody gets interviewed

thanks! do you know how long it was until you got the email from PAD? and how do you like being an ETA?

The e-mail actually came from IIE, and it looks like it was sent the week following recommendation notifications.

I've had a great time thus far! I don't think I would want to do a second year just because teaching is really not my calling, but I've had so much fun and I don't regret this at all.

Hi guys! I guess I'll check in. I lurked around these boards last year and it was nice to know people shared my hysteria. 

I'm also an ETA candidate for Taiwan. I was recommended last year, but ultimately not selected. I'm reapplying this year with (what I think is) a stronger application, and I've been recommended again. 

I can confirm that there is no interview for Taiwan ETA candidates. Last year we were notified of decisions around the 2nd week of April. The notification times vary based on program. For example, some European countries are notified in early March, some like South Korea ETAs are usually notified late March, and Chinese and Taiwan programs are usually late April to early May. 

Good luck all! Don't stress out now, we still have two and a half more months to wait  :P

I'm in the same position for Malta! I've now been recommended twice (alternate last year, ugh). I'm trying not to think too much about this until April, since I probably won't hear until late that month or May (based on past experience), but it's so hard.

Is anyone applying to graduate school as well as the Fulbright? Obviously, my first choice would be the Fulbright, but if we aren't finding out until possibly May or June, are people worried about accepting a grad program then finding out they got it? 

Is anyone applying to graduate school as well as the Fulbright? Obviously, my first choice would be the Fulbright, but if we aren't finding out until possibly May or June, are people worried about accepting a grad program then finding out they got it? 

Most graduate programs would probably let you defer for a year if you get offered a Fulbright.  It always looks good on the University stats to have Fulbrighters.  Grad school will always be there (believe me, I'm in it)...but Fulbright is a rare chance!

Posted Today, 09:13 PM

Yes, all applicants for the most part will be interviewed in the second round. Once you are recommended, they will compile a short list. This short list will be interviewed. If you are not short listed, than most likely you will not move on.  Now that's the UK, as it's very competitive and has many applicants. Some places may only have 1 or 2 people so maybe nobody gets interviewed

France is also competitive but I don't believe they interview. 

If you are accepted you can accept at most schools and then simply defer for a year if you get a Fulbright. Most schools look at  it as you getting that grant increases your value anyway and are happy to hold. I am not sure about other fields though. 

Yeah, I was planning on deferring graduate school until after the Fulbright. And while on the Fulbright, we'll be able to find funding for our programs so we can go travel for a year, and get a fully funded degree! :D

Is anyone else here in STEM fields?

Do you think it would be crazy to turn down a Fulbright for a top grad school offer?

Before you make a decision either way, see the quote below. No need to worry about it until you know whether you have to make a choice.

If you are accepted you can accept at most schools and then simply defer for a year if you get a Fulbright. Most schools look at  it as you getting that grant increases your value anyway and are happy to hold. I am not sure about other fields though. 

I was in this position last year. I just talked to each program about what the options were. The one that didn't let people defer ended up having me defer unofficially (they paid this year's application fee, I just had to resubmit and was guaranteed a spot). Deferring your funding is trickier, but a lot of programs will let you keep it.

I don't mind at all! I'm applying for an ETA to Greece. Trying so hard not to think of Fulbright for the next few months and yet I find myself checking my email and this forum every few hours lol.

DC_Bee congratulations!! That's brilliant!! What a testament to your work!

Wow! I have always wanted to go to Greece...growing up and up to now, I've always enjoyed the variety of themes in Greek mythology. I always know that one day I will be in Greece just to see the beauty of it for myself. My former Ancient Tragedy professor and I discuss it often. I hope that you will have the ETA to Greece!

Aw man, we gotta stay strong on this one!!! I check my gmail too often...it slowed down when I received consistent responses that ETA to Taiwan applicants are informed the first week of April or two if they were chosen or not so I might as well focus on my homework. This forum is definitely a great release though!