2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Hey! So here's an information for international students like me who are really scared because they haven't received any interview invitations yet. So I called a couple of universities and they said that there is an order in which they send invitations. First Americans, second International students who live in the US or close enough (Canada, Mexico...) and then the other international students. There could be a difference of 1-2 weeks between them. So no panicking (yet...)

Have you guys noticed that neuroscience people are super fast when it comes to app reviewing and sending invites. I guess working in that field made them as fast as neurons :P  wish cancer bio people were that fast...sigh . I promised myself that I would not check my mails today and broke it 5 times already. :angry:

Hey! So here's an information for international students like me who are really scared because they haven't received any interview invitations yet. So I called a couple of universities and they said that there is an order in which they send invitations. First Americans, second International students who live in the US or close enough (Canada, Mexico...) and then the other international students. There could be a difference of 1-2 weeks between them. So no panicking (yet...)

Thank you for that post!! I was going crazy!! phew

I just got a Caltech Biology interview via email!! 

I applied on Dec. 2, so that's another early one (I think their deadline wasn't until the 15th). Interesting pattern. 

Congrats! I was wondering who that was. Had a heart attack....your app was earlier than mine, though, so maybe I won't hear back just yet. Haven't heard diddly yet today but with several of my programs already sending stuff out...I think it will be a miracle if I don't get something today.... :wacko:

Have you guys noticed that neuroscience people are super fast when it comes to app reviewing and sending invites. I guess working in that field made them as fast as neurons :P  wish cancer bio people were that fast...sigh . I promised myself that I would not check my mails today and broke it 5 times already. :angry:

Yes! I've noticed this, too! Weird how that seems to work out....

Congrats to the Irvine CMBers....I haven't heard yet!!! Aye....

No worries, adenine_monarch. You have so many interviews already; that has to be a good sign! I've only heard back from places where I applied significantly (~2 weeks or more) earlier than the deadline, so my working hypothesis is that that's playing a role at least at some schools. Good luck (: 

PS what program at Baylor did you apply to? 

I currently spot a few lurkers on this thread...show yourselves!!!! lolI

Guilty. I'll post my stats/unusual twists/insights soon. What is up with Boston and NYC programs? Just one interview before Christmas would be comforting...

No worries, adenine_monarch. You have so many interviews already; that has to be a good sign! I've only heard back from places where I applied significantly (~2 weeks or more) earlier than the deadline, so my working hypothesis is that that's playing a role at least at some schools. Good luck (: 

PS what program at Baylor did you apply to? 

Yeah, I'm happy about the interviews I've already got and up until this morning I was pretty chill about the whole process...but now that it's the end of the week and so close to xmas...and with new programs out more and more...I'm starting to get a little nutty about checking this site.... :( Bf is ragging on me to stop, lol.

Baylor program was IMBS.

Guilty. I'll post my stats/unusual twists/insights soon. What is up with Boston and NYC programs? Just one interview before Christmas would be comforting...

What Boston programs are you waiting on?

To those getting NYU sackler invites, did you submit your app for the early deadline on Nov 1st?

Not sure about others but submitted mine 12/1 a few hours before it was due and heard back this morning

Edited by cardboardboxes

I wish they posted which program within it they applied to because they should have different committees

I hope that's the case, because I've been wondering if I'm out of the running for UCSF BMS, too, since people have already been getting interviews. There are something like seven different research areas in BMS, so I hope they just haven't sent the ones for human genetics yet...

I wish they posted which program within it they applied to because they should have different committees

Yea, I was hoping the same thing...that each committee reviewed the applications separately. I applied for Tissue/Organ Biology and Endocrinology. I can't remember, but in the application did we specify which program we were most interested in? It's in my SOP which track I like, but I don't remember if there was a section in the app for it

Guilty as well! I suppose I'll stop lurking for a bit, since it looks like people are wondering about some schools?

I posted the most recent UCSF (BMS) and UCSD (Biological Sciences) interview invites. My research interests for UCSF BMS were ranked as follows, if that helps anyone!

1. Cancer biology and cell signaling

2. Developmental and stem cell biology

3. Tissue/organ biology and endocrinology

4. Virology and microbial pathogenesis.

(Though I'm really only interested in the first two, and those were the only ones I mentioned in my essays.)

Guilty as well! I suppose I'll stop lurking for a bit, since it looks like people are wondering about some schools?

I posted the most recent UCSF (BMS) and UCSD (Biological Sciences) interview invites. My research interests for UCSF BMS were ranked as follows, if that helps anyone!

1. Cancer biology and cell signaling

2. Developmental and stem cell biology

3. Tissue/organ biology and endocrinology

4. Virology and microbial pathogenesis.

(Though I'm really only interested in the first two, and those were the only ones I mentioned in my essays.)

Congratulations! That's so awesome! I bet you must be relieved to have heard back from top schools so early!

Are the interview dates Jan 23-25 or Feb 6-8 like the one person in the results section posted? Also, did you receive the email last week about how the decisions wouldn't be finished until early/mid january because BMS has so many applications? I'm starting to wonder if that was just a blanket email to those that will likely not make the cut. Again, congrats!

Congratulations! That's so awesome! I bet you must be relieved to have heard back from top schools so early!

Are the interview dates Jan 23-25 or Feb 6-8 like the one person in the results section posted? Also, did you receive the email last week about how the decisions wouldn't be finished until early/mid january because BMS has so many applications? I'm starting to wonder if that was just a blanket email to those that will likely not make the cut. Again, congrats!

Ahaha, thank you! Yeah, I've been pretty stressed out about it, so getting those invites was a huge relief. =)

Those are the correct interview dates (though it might be more accurate to say 1/23-1/26 and 2/6-2/9, since they expect you to depart the morning after the last day). I did get that email, about having to push the decisions back, which was part of the reason I was surprised to get mine so early!

More information about the interviews that might be helpful for people: the first weekend is recommended for people interested in cancer biology, developmental & stem cell biology, neurobiology, genetics, tissue/organ biology and endocrinology and vascular/cardiac biology. The second weekend is recommended for people interested in immunology and microbial pathogenesis & virology. It's not required, but apparently they're organizing speakers to correspond to those sets of research interests?