2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Hey guys, I've been holding this thought for a while, and I am looking for your perspective on this:

So in early January, I got an email saying that I am selected for an interview at UT Southwestern (of all the schools in my school list, this is my top choice), I was very surprised and excited. They provide me a link to register for the interview dates and the track of interest.  I was pretty sure that I would choose the earlier interview, which is Feb 7th, rather than the later one, which is in March 22nd. But somehow, this was so important to me that I postponed it. Thinking back, maybe it was because before UT Southwestern, I also had another interview invite from UGA, and somehow I had already talked to the POI and mentioned that I will go to the interview on the same day of Feb 7th. I could choose the second interview weekend instead and corrected it with the POI.

But well, after I finally wanted to hit enter for UT Southwestern, I discovered that I only had the option of March. I thought: Fine!, I am gonna go ahead and book the flight for UGA interview the date I told the POI (Feb7th), and I did it. But then, two days later, UT Southwestern contacted me with a pending flight ticket for the Feb 7th interview. I emailed them immediately to explain that I didn't have the earlier option the moment I hit enter, and so I'd already planned for something else. I feel extremely uneasy with that decision, because to me UT southwestern>>> UGA, but at that time, the flight to UGA has already been booked, and the ticket had been emailed over for reimbursement, so I didn't want more trouble.

Now, I wonder if my chance of admission for UT Southwestern will be less because I chose the later interview? I convinced myself that it won't be, since in the beginning, they gave me both options, and so it will be unfair that one of the option will lead to less chance of admission.

But in second thought, I take so much risk in a (perhaps) bad decision. What do you guys think about my situation?

Something like this happened to me too. When I went to register for an interview date at UTSW, I chose the first of two dates as my first choice and moved on to the second page. When I went back to the first page to look over my answers, the first date had disappeared! So I selected the second date instead and submitted the form. Much to my surprise, UTSW sent me a flight itinerary for the first date the next day. My point is that the disappearing interview dates are clearly caused by a bug on their interview registration webpage. The trip coordinators should be aware of this bug and shouldn't hold it against you. Even if there weren't a bug, and you just made a mistake, there should be no reason for them to be upset with you for changing your date before the ticket had been purchased. Further, all interview dates should be equal, so the only real benefit of going earlier is that you find out your admission decision earlier. You have nothing at all to worry about.

This is how they should have sent it:

"Dear applicant,

Sorry we can't ad-MIT you, but best of luck in navigating the application process! Record number of applicants blah blah very competitive blah.

Science be Praised,

Biology Ad-com @ MIT"

Haha, I have to say that their email SUCKED! 

For those of you going to Vanderbilt interviews, make sure to pay attention to who runs the things around there. Apparently, they had huge budget cuts and let go a ton of their administrative staff, so make sure there would be someone to take care of your paperwork besides an assistant professor you have to hunt down.

Hey guys, I'm wondering how informal meetings with professors who are not your interviewers would contribute to the acceptance chance? Cuz I feel like those are my best conversations compared to the ones I had with faculty members I didn't request. It is so much easier to talk to someone who knows your work and you can see yourself contributing to their work...

Probably not too much since the program will listening to evaluations made by your formal interviewers. Unrequested interviewers are often on the admissions board, so they actually have the most say in your acceptance decision...

Hey guys, I'm wondering how informal meetings with professors who are not your interviewers would contribute to the acceptance chance? Cuz I feel like those are my best conversations compared to the ones I had with faculty members I didn't request. It is so much easier to talk to someone who knows your work and you can see yourself contributing to their work...

I was actually discussing this with one of my POIs today. The purpose of talking with other professors that you are not necessarily hoping to directly work with is for you to get a feel for the department and its overall research, and also for THEM to assess you. This is generally how they decide on who gets departmental fellowships. They have all of the students/interviewees come into the department and talk to professors. Then, after the students leave, the department basically takes a survey or talks about who they were impressed with and who should get fellowships. So, yes, I would say that the "other" proffs do play a role in acceptance, because funding plays a role in acceptance. Having said that, my POI also said you probably don't need to prep as much for these mini-interviews or know as much about the "other" professors' research. They want to know you're intelligent, enthusiastic, and ultimately deserving of the department's time, money, and resources. Hope this helps! It helped me. :)

For those of you going to Vanderbilt interviews, make sure to pay attention to who runs the things around there. Apparently, they had huge budget cuts and let go a ton of their administrative staff, so make sure there would be someone to take care of your paperwork besides an assistant professor you have to hunt down.

How did you find that out? I'm about to head there for an interview this weekend, so I'd really appreciate any info you can give =)

I was actually discussing this with one of my POIs today. The purpose of talking with other professors that you are not necessarily hoping to directly work with is for you to get a feel for the department and its overall research, and also for THEM to assess you. This is generally how they decide on who gets departmental fellowships. They have all of the students/interviewees come into the department and talk to professors. Then, after the students leave, the department basically takes a survey or talks about who they were impressed with and who should get fellowships. So, yes, I would say that the "other" proffs do play a role in acceptance, because funding plays a role in acceptance. Having said that, my POI also said you probably don't need to prep as much for these mini-interviews or know as much about the "other" professors' research. They want to know you're intelligent, enthusiastic, and ultimately deserving of the department's time, money, and resources. Hope this helps! It helped me. :)

Thank you for the reply I<3plants. I didn't think of the departmental fellowship at that moment, but if this is true, I can have a little more hope in my chance. Good luck on your interviews! :)

Probably not too much since the program will listening to evaluations made by your formal interviewers. Unrequested interviewers are often on the admissions board, so they actually have the most say in your acceptance decision...

It is so true that unrequested interviewers are on the board. I can tell they are not in the field that I'm interested in, and the conversations were to make sure I'm ready for graduate school rather than chit chatting about my research and their research. If you're an applicant like me, good luck! :)

I believe they interview through all of March, I think. 

Congrats!!!! Do you know if Vanderbilt is having any other interview weekends? Thanks:-)

I just got a Vanderbilt IGP interview offer yesterday and had the choice of 2 weekends -- March 14th or March 28th. I'm pretty positive there are earlier dates as well.

How did you find that out? I'm about to head there for an interview this weekend, so I'd really appreciate any info you can give =)

I went to an interview this past weekend and two of the girls who interviewed with me are currently at Vandy - one for for undergrad and one for MS. We were talking about schools and they just went into this discussion of aggressive budget cuts and I was like, ok, good to know I guess...then I looked it up and it turns out that last year they had a goal to cut $250 million, or 1,000 jobs.

http://www.thelayoff.com/vanderbilt

Curious what kind of vibe you guys get at your IGP interviews since IGP is part of the school of medicine...

Edited by aba1984

I'm almost feel like gutting myself.  Each day I wait and each rejection I possibly will receive will leave me into despair.   

If it helps I haven't heard from Davis either. Biochem but still...

You might want to give them a call, but I called UC Davis for the Genetic & Genomic program and they said that there is a small chance of a 2nd interview.  Now my only hope is UCSD, UCLA ACESS, Northwestern, Purdue, Einstein, Stony Brook, and Iowa.  Unfortunately, it seems like they are giving the silent treatment.  I would like to think biochem and genetics are very similar in topics, especially since I have a friend that will be applying to biochem schools too.

I went to an interview this past weekend and two of the girls who interviewed with me are currently at Vandy - one for for undergrad and one for MS. We were talking about schools and they just went into this discussion of aggressive budget cuts and I was like, ok, good to know I guess...then I looked it up and it turns out that last year they had a goal to cut $250 million, or 1,000 jobs.

http://www.thelayoff.com/vanderbilt

Curious what kind of vibe you guys get at your IGP interviews since IGP is part of the school of medicine...

Thank you very much for the info! I'm actually applying to the NGP (neuroscience graduate program), but I'll keep an eye out regardless. Best of luck on the rest of your interviews! 

iheartplants' interview advice is right on... I interviewed at two programs at the same university over the weekend, and between the two departments I spoke with 20 different faculty members. Oy. In hindsight, I was over prepared. I was expecting a lot of questions regarding my research. My last research project was '08, so I reread my posters as if my life depended on it... What I said about my research totaled maybe 2 mins of each 30 min interview. They mostly talk about themselves and their current/future research, the University, their spouses, children, pets, etc. I got the feeling that my interviews were more or less putting a face/personality to my application and establishing some kind of rapport with my interviewer. So let your personality shine through, don't tell them what you think they're looking for, be yourself and ask questions about their work. Oh. you will be interacting with current students by way of lunch/dinner, student-only gatherings. Attend all events. Even if they are 'optional'. You are still being watched/evaluated! I heard that last year, one prospective, thinking that since it was a students' only party, decided to lay on her back and drank beer out the siphoned keg. Needless to say, she wasn't accepted. Don't be her. ... P.S. To the UGA posters- See you next week.