Fall 2014 Applicants

Can anyone please tell me if UMass Amherst and UMD PhD admit decisions are all likely to have been sent. I see a large number of admits on results page, was wondering if I should assume a reject. Anyone receive a reject? I am going crazy waiting for the decision of these two places, had very high hopes from here.

Any help is highly appreciated..

So, can anyone comment about UMD? And what about University of Toronto (MSc), they don't seem to have sent any decisions yet. Anyone had any contact from there? Is it true that they take interview for most of the shortlisted candidates in early Jan (that is what I heard)?

So, can anyone comment about UMD? And what about University of Toronto (MSc), they don't seem to have sent any decisions yet. Anyone had any contact from there? Is it true that they take interview for most of the shortlisted candidates in early Jan (that is what I heard)?

Hi theTB. I received my informal admission like a week ago from my POI and semi-informal from the CS Department. The semi-informal admission stated that the official one (from the Graduate School) was still to be sent:

"[...] The University's Graduate School will send you official confirmation of your admission."

Bear in mind that I was accepted without a previous interview, so I wouldn't lose my hope until I receive a formal notification if I were you.

Thanks eien.

I guess all I can do is wait to be slaughtered (the bloodbath has already begun with CMU today).

I got the standard reject from CMU today.  I read on another thread that the visit days are March 3-5, so I assumed that I would have heard a few weeks ago if I was accepted.  

Oh well - one less decision to obsess over!

Well you got into UIUC pearcema. So, who cares :)

I have just been axed by CMU =) No problem, I'm already happy with my UMD admission, and things could only get better.

Excellent attitude!  Congrats on both of your admits :)

I got the standard reject from CMU today.  I read on another thread that the visit days are March 3-5, so I assumed that I would have heard a few weeks ago if I was accepted.  

Oh well - one less decision to obsess over!

That's how I feel, too! :) I have my heart set on USC. The only option I'll consider at this point is UCSD (I think it would've been UW if I got in, but even then, the research fit was forced). I wouldn't mind if UCSD rejected me so I wouldn't have to think about it!!

Also, relevant to UMass questions earlier: I was supposed to ask today, but I didn't go in due to snow. I'll e-mail them instead!

Just to let you know guys, I've just received an admission from UCSD! Two days after my interview with POI.

Congrats!! :D

Obviously I'll post as soon as I hear from them!

Axed once again! This time by UC Berkeley. I'm starting to think that UCSD might be the final destination for me. Let's see what MIT, UIUC and GaTech have to say about that...

Only top 4 program I applied to who hasn't rejected me yet is MIT, but I'm not to hopeful with that. No contact yet. I am happy to have some decent acceptances and likely acceptances, though. At this point I think I may be deciding between UIUC and Penn (I know UIUC is top 5 and Penn is only like 17th but I think Penn has some non-ranking advantages, maybe I'll make a post asking for opinions on the matter).

Edited by JavaGuy147

I've just received acceptance notification from GaTech. And this is not necessarily good news for me, I had already made my mind to go to beautiful San Diego.

Oh dear, I am going to have the worst of times deciding...

I've just received acceptance notification from GaTech. And this is not necessarily good news for me, I had already made my mind to go to beautiful San Diego.

What a problem to have, huh? :)  Congrats on your acceptance!  Are you going to visit both schools?  

Only top 4 program I applied to who hasn't rejected me yet is MIT, but I'm not to hopeful with that. No contact yet. I am happy to have some decent acceptances and likely acceptances, though. At this point I think I may be deciding between UIUC and Penn (I know UIUC is top 5 and Penn is only like 17th but I think Penn has some non-ranking advantages, maybe I'll make a post asking for opinions on the matter).

I'm also debating between UIUC and a lower ranking program (UW-Madison - I think they are 12th for CS, but they are lower for AI/ML).  I think that what you do with your time at a school is more important than a school's ranking.  There are so many factors though...

I was stoked to get rejected from CMU so I wouldn't have to think about it. XD

Looks like both Berkeley and Princeton sent out a lot of notifications today.

Holy crap man, looks like you are landing them all... I hate you :P

Whats your profile? And what does the blue text mean, by the way?

Holy crap man, looks like you are landing them all... I hate you :P

Whats your profile? And what does the blue text mean, by the way?

Profile:

Blue means interview. I spent a good 10 minutes in the shower debating whether to put a legend in my signature or not, but I like the clean look so I left it as is. Even if it is unclear..

Profile:

Blue means interview. I spent a good 10 minutes in the shower debating whether to put a legend in my signature or not, but I like the clean look so I left it as is. Even if it is unclear..

My profile isn't too far off from yours, not sure why I'm getting boned. Oh well, have you made a decision yet?

My profile isn't too far off from yours, not sure why I'm getting boned. Oh well, have you made a decision yet?

The thing I have going for me is probably my recommendations. Multiple faculty have mentioned that they knew my letter writers. To be honest, I would rank an okay LOR from someone famous over a great LOL from someone not so famous. Several of mine were "did well in class" but the professor was well known, so that may have worked in my favor.

On 2/21/2014 at 6:48 PM, JavaGuy147 said:

I'd bet it's the research fit. icydubloon and I also have about the same stats, but my interests are in a different subfield of CS. My record so far are acceptances in WashU, Illinois, and UNC; and rejections in Stanford, Berkeley, and CMU. 

The fact of the matter is, when I was writing my SoPs, I myself noticed that I was significantly more excited to work with the professors at UNC and WashU, and I have a feeling they noticed that as well.