Fall 2014 Applicants

Got an acceptance from Cornell. Still think this some kind of mixup...just cannot believe this.

Does anyone know when are Stanford's Computer Science PhD visit days?  I have been accepted but haven't received any information about this.

Congrats and congrats! :)

Got an acceptance from Cornell. Still think this some kind of mixup...just cannot believe this.

Congrats dude! Happy for you.

Just to be sure -- Don't accept their offer right away. Wait to hear from other universities and also about the financial information.

If there is a visit day, I strongly recommend you attend it before you make your decision.

Yes, you should definitely come to the visit days. I am also going there flying out of Frankfurt. If you want to team up, pm me.

Yes, you should definitely come to the visit days. I am also going there flying out of Frankfurt. If you want to team up, pm me.

I have an exam on march 13th and start an internship in the beginning March. So I don't really know if I can take of during my second week. Think I will contact them and ask for another date.

If I change my mind I will message you.

Why are the visit days so important ?

I would like to meet the facutly I work with for the next ~5 years before I enroll that is all. 

Problem is that Cornells visit days are during the week and I start working fulltime as a thesis student. This is part of my studies so I don't know if I can just leave for 2 days.

Edited by GermanStudent

Oh come on ... For the few days that you'll be there, you actually believe that you'll see *something* which you put you off from enrolling in CMU ... and with that in mind you're willing to take a trip from Germany to NY ?

Edited by D8F1F488

What if there's something that makes him say "abandon ship!"

You might not be able to tell you're going to like a school, but there are definitely signs that you're going to HATE it.

EDIT: This isn't the only reason to go, but it is a good one! Anyway, you can't begrudge someone for wanting to make the most informed decision possible in times like these. :)

Edited by PhDerp

Oh come on ... For the few days that you'll be there, you actually believe that you'll see *something* which you put you off from enrolling in CMU ... and with that in mind you're willing to take a trip from Germany to NY ?

The last and only time I've been to the US was in 2007. I have never seen Ithaca in my life. That is all. 

However you are right. Taking such a long trip for a few days will be painful and as long as I don't have any alternative admits I will most likely accept the offer anyways.

Edited by GermanStudent

Hi guys, international student here.

I have received an informal acceptance letter from my POI at Brown. Do you receive formal acceptance from the department and how so? 

Also, I am worried about getting accepted to GaTech so early, since I'd rather accept a position in Europe. But from what I hear, after getting accepted into EPFL you have to wait for an offer from a professor, since they cover your expenses from research funds. Does anyone have experience on EPFL admissions? or ICL?

Has anyone been accepted to ETH Zürich? If so, would you mind sharing when your application was forwarded to the department? Mine was a bit late (Jan 8), because the grad office thought my transcripts were incomplete.

The last and only time I've been to the US was in 2007. I have never seen Ithaca in my life. That is all. 

However you are right. Taking such a long trip for a few days will be painful and as long as I don't have any alternative admits I will most likely accept the offer anyways.

GermanStudent, would you mind saying what GRE scores you sent? I'm thinking on applying this year to some schools, my GRE Quant score is 158, but I'm not sure if I should retake the exam.. 

Anybody applying to CMU Computer Science Ph.D (not ML, LTI, RI) received a rejection letter yet?

Somebody just reported a rejection by e-mail saying that there were more than 660 applicants, but I've not received neither an acceptance nor a rejection. I'm curious as to what is CMU CS's current decision-sending status.

That was me that reported 660, it was for RI. I realized after I posted that I hadn't specified the number

Just to bring it up again, I am still interested in whether or not people have heard about any ML acceptances this year...

Best of luck to all!!!

Edited by Bizzy

Lots of hits for CMU ML here: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=machine+learning+%28CMU%7Ccarnegie*%29

Good luck!

That was me that reported 660, it was for RI. I realized after I posted that I hadn't specified the number

Just to bring it up again, I am still interested in whether or not people have heard about any ML acceptances this year...

Best of luck to all!!!

Best of luck to all!!!

This might help you gauge the number of PhD CS applicants, here is the information about CMU's MS CS:

"You are one of the select few, less than 8% of the more than 1000 applicants, that we are inviting."

Can anyone please tell me if UMass Amherst and UMD PhD admit decisions are all likely to have been sent. I see a large number of admits on results page, was wondering if I should assume a reject. Anyone receive a reject? I am going crazy waiting for the decision of these two places, had very high hopes from here.

Any help is highly appreciated..

I think UMass hasn't sent all their acceptances out. I haven't heard anything yet, and I was contacted by a POI whom I didn't even apply under... She just saw my application and sought me out! I was also told by people in the department my chances are good! So I'm like 70-75% sure there are more acceptances to come. :)

Edited by PhDerp

I think UMass hasn't sent all their acceptances out. I haven't heard anything yet, and I was contacted by a POI whom I didn't even apply under. I was told by people in the department my chances are good! So I think there are more acceptances to come. :)

Thanks for your reply. Similar case with me, though I was still worried (still am). Did you have an interview or email contact?

Edited by theTB

Thanks for your reply. Similar case with me, though I was still worried (still am). Did you have an interview or email contact?

Email contact. I can ask them Tuesday how the process is going. I love my school, but I already know I'll take USC over any offer they give me, so I don't mind if I'm accidentally abrasive at all. ;p

On a related note, if you have any questions about UMass, I'm an expert! I used to give department tours, haha :)

Thank you, you are a life saver :) . Please do tell if you get any info.

Would you know if the decisions for the MS/PhD track and PhD track are made separately? I had applied for MS/PhD.

Thank you, you are a life saver :) . Please do tell if you get any info.

Would you know if the decisions for the MS/PhD track and PhD track are made separately? I had applied for MS/PhD.

I'm not sure, but I'll ask that when I go in, too! :)