Fall 2014 Applicants

Wow, I thought I was getting an early start but I guess I really didn't.

Applying Fall 2014 for Master of Science in Computer Science

Undergrad:

Graduated May 2011

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science

Double Major in Creative Writing

Minor in Mathematics

Cumulative GPA: 3.176

Junior/Senior GPA: 3.31

Valparaiso University

Related Experience:

3 years full time work as an application developer.

3 years part time work as a Teaching Aide in the undergrad CS department

2 years part time work as an application developer for the University

1 semester as an Adjunct Professor for a local community college

Professional Development:

GraphConnect 2013 Attendee

Dale Carnegie Course: Effective Communications & Human Relations/Skills For Success

GRE:

Taking this Saturday

160V/157Q on my first attempt at the practice test, no prep, for whatever that's worth

School's Applying To:

Illinois Institute of Technology

DePaul University

Maybe:

Johns Hopkins Engineering for Professionals

Still researching schools, but those three stood out the most so far.

General Profile: 
-White Male US Citizen
-Major(s): Mathematics (BA), Economics with a Quantitative Emphasis (BA)
-Minor(s): Leadership studies
-GPA: 3.96/4.0 (Cumulative, in math, and in econ)
-GRE: 610V / 800Q / 5.5W

Research Experience: 
-1 Year Undergrad Research writing an honors thesis (received summa cum laude designation)
-2 Years independently researching machine learning topics, nothing published
-2 other papers published in Colorado Honors Journal and an online student Journal

Other:
-1 graduate course taken as an undergrad
-1 excellent recommendation from my thesis adviser, a well respected academic in statistics and econometrics. 2-3 other strong, but less research-focused recs from former professors
-2 years experience working as a quant on Wall Street 

Area(s) of Interests:
-Machine learning (deep learning and ensembles, in particular)
-Data mining
-Optimization

Schools Applied (CS PhD program unless otherwise specified):
-Stanford 
-Carnegie Mellon's Statistics and Machine Learning PhD program
-University of Texas at Austin
-University of Washington
-University of Pennsylvania
-Georgia Tech
-Columbia

Edited by BRock89

One school told me that PhD decisions start going out the last week of January. 

It is interesting that some universities started to announce acceptions and rejections (not for cs). http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php

Does any1 know when universities start to announce results for cs phd applicants (experience from previous years)? 

• 3 weeks later...

General Profile: 
-White Male US Citizen

-UG: Top 50ish Public Research University
-Major: Mechanical Engineering (BS)
-Minors: CS, Math
-GPA: 3.92/4.0
-GRE: 167V / 170Q / 4W

Research Experience: 
-1.5 years of research in two different labs on campus
-1 semester research in NASA internship, but in unrelated field

-No pubs, but all the people writing letters are people I've done research for and I am fairly confident they will be strong letters

Area(s) of Interests:

-Robotics
-Human-Robot Interaction

-AI

Schools Applied (CS PhD program unless otherwise specified):
-Stanford 
-CMU (PhD in Robotics)
-UPenn (PhD in MechE)
-Cornell (PhD in MechE)
-Berkeley

-UMich

I realize that there is a good chance I don't get into any of these, so I am also applying for year long internships with the intention of applying to more schools next year. I also noted on my applications that I would also consider entering an MS program if they did not think I was prepared for PhD.

Hello, i applied for Fall 2014 MS CS,

My Profile:
International undergrad computer science student(NIT, Durgapur, WB, India)- complete by june 6th 2014
CGPA: 7.65
Toefl: 113
GRE: 159V / 162Q / 4.5 AW (321)

Research experience: 2 different projects, Internship 2 months on HCi in IIT Kharagpur.
Areas of Interest are: HCI, Artificial Intelligence, Systems

My Universities List:
CMU - INI(MSISTM, MSIN)
UIUC
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Georgia Institute of Technology
U Southern California
UC Irvine
Ohio State U
Texas A&M U, College Station
Arizona State U
U Minnesota, Twin Cities
Indiana University Bloomington
Vanderbilt U

Considering to apply NEU and another one university(UTD) in Feb depending on the decisions i may get in above applied universities
Edited by kancharla

I just got in the University of Michigan. I already had an interview earlier so my result was bound to come before the mid-February deadline that's typical. Anyway, one down, lots to go. ;)

Anyone heard from Austin? Have all Ph.D. notifications been sent out?

I didn't hear from them, so I'm assuming I didn't make the cut.

When I finish my application to UTCS they sent me an email (maybe you received the same email, too) that "Applicants offered admission to the Computer Science doctoral program will be invited to attend GradFest 2014". 21 January, they sent me an email which says:

"Congratulations!  We're recommending your admission to the UT-Austin Computer Science graduate program to pursue your PhD.  We invite you to make travel arrangements to visit us February 20 - 23.  We will be contacting you again by the end of the week about how to RSVP for GradFest 2014.

You will also receive additional information about the financial award the department will be making to you no later then the week of February 3rd.

We hope you will be able to attend and look forward to meeting you"

They didnt contact me about how to RSVP for GRadFest, so I'm still waiting. This email is from secretary ( I think) so I am not so sure about their decision. That means that they have accepted me for sure? I don't know but I think that if there is someone who attended the previous gradFest, he could explain us the exact process.

In my opinion, this was the first round of admissions. Surely, some students who attend gradFest, finally go to some other universities. So I believe that they will send additional acceptances.

Congrats spc92!  You going to attend the GradFest?

Yeah I received an email from them in December saying that decisions will be emailed by Jan 21st.  But I have not heard anything either way since then.  I saw some people listed rejection emails from Austin in the results search, so the fact that I haven't been rejected yet either means that I am wait listed or they just haven't sent all the rejections out yet.

Congrats spc92!  You going to attend the GradFest?

Thank you very much. I am an international student so it will be difficult to take this trip. It depends on the funding that they will give me for this trip. But I really want to visit US this period. I think that I could take this trip in order to visit UTCS and other universities, not only 1 university.

But I am not so sure for my admission. They have to send something more official.

When I finish my application to UTCS they sent me an email (maybe you received the same email, too) that "Applicants offered admission to the Computer Science doctoral program will be invited to attend GradFest 2014". 21 January, they sent me an email which says:

"Congratulations!  We're recommending your admission to the UT-Austin Computer Science graduate program to pursue your PhD.  We invite you to make travel arrangements to visit us February 20 - 23.  We will be contacting you again by the end of the week about how to RSVP for GradFest 2014.

You will also receive additional information about the financial award the department will be making to you no later then the week of February 3rd.

We hope you will be able to attend and look forward to meeting you"

They didnt contact me about how to RSVP for GRadFest, so I'm still waiting. This email is from secretary ( I think) so I am not so sure about their decision. That means that they have accepted me for sure? I don't know but I think that if there is someone who attended the previous gradFest, he could explain us the exact process.

In my opinion, this was the first round of admissions. Surely, some students who attend gradFest, finally go to some other universities. So I believe that they will send additional acceptances.

Hi, spc92, When did you get that email?

I got the same email from UTCS on Jan 21. But my status page is still showing "forwarded to department and in review" as of today. It`s almost a week now.

What does your status page say?