Fall 2014 Applicants

Hi redudie,

I received that email on Jan 21, too. My status page is showing the same thing but if you check at your account to Computer Science Department (https://services.cs.utexas.edu/users/dblogin.html) the second paragraph says:

This site and the University graduate application system ("GIAC", "ApplyTexas", "My Status") are separate systems. GIAC does not show the status of your application with CS, and we do not link to your information in their system. Information at GIAC is used for your admission to the University. Your admission to graduate study in CS is based only on the information we have in this system.

So I do not know for sure. To tell you the truth I sent all required documents to "My Status" at University of Texas (not CS Dep) only the previous week (I had forgotten it) but I dont think that there is any problem. I dont know which is the exact process.

I just saw that they sent me an email for details about GradFest.

So far interviewed with POI at UC Santa Cruz and received invite to visit weekend for interviews at Johns Hopkins. Good luck to everyone! A lot of schools seem to be rolling out their interviews and acceptances, so don't let the results search discourage you. 

Complexbongo: Do you know if international students are invited to the visit weekend at JHU too? Haven't heard anything yet from Johns Hopkins yet.

I can't say that I know for sure, but I would imagine that it is in fact for domestic students only. I'll keep you updated if I find any more information. 

Unfortunately, I was part of the flurry of rejections that the University of Washington sent out, right around midnight UTC February 1. Very automated.

I've got another interview with Purdue, this time with a PhD student who works with my potential advisor.

Complexbongo: Do you know if international students are invited to the visit weekend at JHU too? Haven't heard anything yet from Johns Hopkins yet.

From my POI: You get at least one phone interview before being invited to the visit days. Once you're at the visit days, there will be more indirect/direct interviews. After the visit days, you'll be notified of acceptance.

Looks like Carnegie Mellon started rolling out their Robotics Ph.D decisions. Their CS/ML decisions should be out by next week I assume.

I'm waiting on Carnegie Mellon, Stanford and Cornell.

Good luck everyone!

Yeah, same here. Definitely starting to feel like no news is not good news...

I will have to disagree with you. Most universities to which you and qualthian have applied haven't even started sending out results or interviews requests (except for a few guys that may be exceptionally apt, or local undergrad students).

I also noticed that several universities offer admission without an interview so that is not a factor either. And on top of it, I think the current cold wave in US is playing a role in slowing up this process.

I guess that these first weeks of February will be the decisive ones, so hang on there and don't lose your hope! =)

I will have to disagree with you. Most universities to which you and qualthian have applied haven't even started sending out results or interviews requests (except for a few guys that may be exceptionally apt, or local undergrad students).

I also noticed that several universities offer admission without an interview so that is not a factor either. And on top of it, I think the current cold wave in US is playing a role in slowing up this process.

I guess that these first weeks of February will be the decisive ones, so hang on there and don't lose your hope! =)

Thanks, probably just freaking myself out, because it drives me crazy just not knowing (though I'm sure a lot of us are like that). Wasn't extremely confident in my apps anyway, but still hoping for the best!

Thanks, probably just freaking myself out, because it drives me crazy just not knowing (though I'm sure a lot of us are like that). Wasn't extremely confident in my apps anyway, but still hoping for the best!

My personal homepage got hits from about 5 of the institutions I applied to. Haven't hear from any of them but at least it seems like I am being seriously considered (or at least passed some first GRE/GPA filter).

Maybe that raises your mood :)

My personal homepage got hits from about 5 of the institutions I applied to. Haven't hear from any of them but at least it seems like I am being seriously considered (or at least passed some first GRE/GPA filter).

That's great! I hope you start hearing some positive results soon! Möge die Macht mit dir sein!  :)

Lol, the same here. I have received several visits from the places I have applied to and from which I haven't got any news yet.

Furthermore, I have not received visits from the only university that has interviewed me... that strange.

I wonder how many admission officers/faculty have also visited it with some kind of adblock that fools the Google Analytics add-on. Anyway, good luck to all of you!

Does the admission page change from submitted to accepted when you are accepted?

I'm assuming you're asking about CMU. They actually deactivated their online tracker sometime in December so there's no way to tell.

Was accepted to CMU Machine Learning today. The interesting thing is that they did not contact me at all prior to the email acceptance. I was expecting at least a phone interview since both the professor and I will be stuck with each other for 5 years.

Just got my first official PhD acceptance, from Ohio State! But the letter didn't mention funding at all...

Congratulations!!!

For folks following up on CMU admission decisions: Do you think that the decisions reported on the results survey are ONLY for Machine Learning (MLD), Robotics (RI), and Language Technologies (LTI)?

I am wondering because I applied to the Computer Science PhD program (none of the 3 above), and am not sure whether people reporting results are reporting for this same program or for the 3 above.

Any thoughts?

For folks following up on CMU admission decisions: Do you think that the decisions reported on the results survey are ONLY for Machine Learning (MLD), Robotics (RI), and Language Technologies (LTI)?

I am wondering because I applied to the Computer Science PhD program (none of the 3 above), and am not sure whether people reporting results are reporting for this same program or for the 3 above.

Any thoughts?

I applied for both ML and CS PhD and have received decisions from both departments.