Higher Ed/Student Affairs Fall 2014- Where are you applying?

JBums1028

I'm on my second round of HE/SA applications, as I got in several places last year, but ultimately did not get funding or an assistantship. Last year, I applied to:

Indiana (accepted, interviewed, no assistantship)

Syracuse (accepted, interviewed, no assistantship)

UPenn (accepted, no funding, declined)

U Minnesota (rejected)

This year, I'm adding some schools in my home state of Virginia to the mix in hopes that if I get accepted, I won't have to sell my kidney for out-of-state tuition:

UVA

James Madison University

William & Mary

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Been lurking a lot, but figured I'd post the places I'm planning to apply for their various Master's programs.  Hope I'm not going overboard (since it seems like a little bigger list than most here). 

University of Vermont

UCONN

UMass-Amherst

Michigan State

Texas A&M

UT-Austin

Mississippi State

University of San Diego

Good luck to everyone out there!

Is anyone taking faculty research into their consideration for programs?

I definitely am.

Is everyone here more focused on student affairs(housing, greek life, dean of students) or higher education generally(policy, academia, consulting, private sector work etc)?

I definitely am.

Is everyone here more focused on student affairs(housing, greek life, dean of students) or higher education generally(policy, academia, consulting, private sector work etc)?

I think for some you can kind of tell based on the schools their looking at. For me I'm DEFINITELY looking more toward Student Affairs, ideally Academic Advising but would settle for Admissions, Career Services, or Program Advising in a Service Learning office.

At first I got caught up in looking into more "prestigious" programs, but I ultimately decided to apply to schools that are known for offering assistantship/field experience in advising. Regretting paying for the GRE now since none of my schools require it, but it was a learning experience to say the least...

I think for some you can kind of tell based on the schools their looking at. For me I'm DEFINITELY looking more toward Student Affairs, ideally Academic Advising but would settle for Admissions, Career Services, or Program Advising in a Service Learning office.

At first I got caught up in looking into more "prestigious" programs, but I ultimately decided to apply to schools that are known for offering assistantship/field experience in advising. Regretting paying for the GRE now since none of my schools require it, but it was a learning experience to say the least...

True! Personally, I plan on continuing on for a terminal degree(PhD in higher education). I'm also debating whether it's wise to get a masters in higher ed as well as a PhD. 

Are there any other future-PhD candidates out there?

True! Personally, I plan on continuing on for a terminal degree(PhD in higher education). I'm also debating whether it's wise to get a masters in higher ed as well as a PhD. 

Are there any other future-PhD candidates out there?

I'm considering it long-term, RedPill.  Any idea yet what area in higher education you'd like to do your research in?

• 1 month later...

Just finished applying to all programs! I've applied to:

Boston University

University of Michigan

Vanderbilt

Northwestern

William&Mary

UVA

UPenn

GW

UMass Amherst

Hoping for the best while I start on financial aid stuff!

Edited by GraceEun

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard back from Rutgers and Indiana and I have interviews at both! Just waiting to hear back from Maryland and Syracuse.

Yay! Will I see you at Interview Weekend? Are you in the area? I'm debating whether to get a hotel room or commute every day.

Yay! Will I see you at Interview Weekend? Are you in the area? I'm debating whether to get a hotel room or commute every day.

Yes you will! I'm coming from Florida so I have to contact them and see if they have any on-campus housing.

Yes you will! I'm coming from Florida so I have to contact them and see if they have any on-campus housing.

Rutgers has an on-campus hotel/conference center - just checked it out online, $75/night. http://ruicc.rutgers.edu/guest-rooms Don't think you can beat that (I checked out the Hyatt nearby - $150/night. Im sure there are cheaper hotels but $75/night and on campus? Deal.)

I imagine it's walking distance of wherever we'll be for those few day, and if not, their campus shuttle is convenient. I'm from NY so even though it's about 2 hours on public transit... I'd much rather be closeby for the day's activities than pay tolls and be on the road.

Also @jsparks63 I'm going to wait to see what follow-up info Rutgers will offer, ie. will they offer any housing as part of the visit. Or a reduced rate at least.

Also @jsparks63 I'm going to wait to see what follow-up info Rutgers will offer, ie. will they offer any housing as part of the visit. Or a reduced rate at least.

@tdix09 perfect! I will look into that and hopefully they have mention some more about it in the follow-up email

I only applied to three places: UConn, U Maryland & Rutgers. I did not get into UConn but did get into Rutgers & U Maryland. Got a phone call yesterday from UMaryland and am super psyched. The only frustrating thing is that both UMD & Rutgers interview/preview days are essentially back to back and will require me to miss almost a week of classes. My professors aren't happy.

Edited by Smithie1

I only applied to three places: UConn, U Maryland & Rutgers. I did not get into UConn but did get into Rutgers & U Maryland. Got a phone call yesterday from UMaryland and am super psyched. The only frustrating thing is that both UMD & Rutgers interview/preview days are essentially back to back and will require me to miss almost a week of classes. My professors aren't happy.

@Smithie1 Did U Maryland send you an email or just a phone call?

Edited by jsparks63

@jsparks-I got a phone call around 5:30 last night. She said that I wouldn't get anything in the mail until next week. Where in Florida? I'm from Florida but am going to school in Massachusetts. 

@Smithie1 oh okay. I applied there too and didn't hear anything back. But my transcript and one of my LOR's arrived late. I'm in SW Florida.

That could be the hold up. The person that I spoke with said that I wouldn't hear anything officially until late next week. I got the impression that they were still making decisions. Have you heard anything from Rutgers aside from the email inviting you to interview days? I want to make travel arrangements but am hoping that they have someplace uber cheap on campus for us to stay. 

Has anyone heard more info from Rutgers about interview days? I received the one email telling me that I was invited but that was a week ago.

@Smithie1 I received an email today about internships and how to apply to them. I received it about 2:00pm today. So check your email about it.