Applying for Fall 2014 Sociology?

socialequity

Swine flu?! I thought we defeated that along with AIDS and racism. Get better, best wishes, and fingers crossed!

lol yeah I've had my head so far up something waiting for decisions that I had no idea 11 people in my county have died from it this year :-/ Thanks for the well wishes though.

That sobering moment when you realize that maybe your app isn't as strong as you thought it was<<<

This. THIS SO MUCH.

I had that moment yesterday and it sucks. I realized what I thought as the weakest part of my application (my GRE scores) wasn't at all the weakest, and in the worst way possible. I think my writing sample should have been so much more heavily edited. My research experience wasn't extensive enough and my transcript, even with a 3.93 G.P.A. is very weak with minimal quantitative classes and no statistics.

Yeah, this morning I woke up and accepted that perhaps Grad School is not happening for me this year. I am trying to cope. :(

That sobering moment when you realize that maybe your app isn't as strong as you thought it was<<<

Also, feel better Maleficent999

This. THIS SO MUCH.

I had that moment yesterday and it sucks. I realized what I thought as the weakest part of my application (my GRE scores) wasn't at all the weakest, and in the worst way possible. I think my writing sample should have been so much more heavily edited. My research experience wasn't extensive enough and my transcript, even with a 3.93 G.P.A. is very weak with minimal quantitative classes and no statistics.

Yeah, this morning I woke up and accepted that perhaps Grad School is not happening for me this year. I am trying to cope. :(

Both of these things. I was also a bit nervous about my GRE score. Now as the acceptances are rolling, I'm questioning the specificity of my personal statement, my writing sample, my GRE score, AND whether my undergrad professor's letter of recommendation was helpful or a waste of space. 

But then I remember that I have *11* applications out. So even if I have to hear no 10 times, all I need is 1 yes. Hang in there, guys.

In the words of Tom Petty, the waiting is the hardest part.

If it helps any, my GRE scores were average and I have a 3.6 GPA. However, I had original qualitative and quantitative research experience. Also, the person who called me with an acceptance let me know that the department was trying to move in the general direction of my research. I think that my writing sample, my research experience, and my research interest were more so the greatest factors than my GRE and GPA. But that was what I gathered from that one particular program.

Anyone claiming the last UCLA acceptance? I want to learn about the funding package for internationals at UCLA, if that is not too personal. I kind of wish I had applied there. Fit was really good, but potential problems related to funding for internationals discouraged me.

I'm really nervous because I just got invited for Emory's visit days and I had no idea there would be an interview. Does anyone have any experience with how the Emory process works or similar processes?

From what I know (and if I'm wrong, please clarify it even more), visit days are pretty much like a getting to know the department kind of thing. You get to meet faculty, current grad students, and attend a couple of presentations. There are some programs that use this opportunity to get to know you and see your "fit" into the program. This is how I understand "visit" days and hopefully someone with more experience can clarify it even more for you. Hope I didn't confuse you or scare you for that matter!

Y'all! Someone posted on the results page that UT-Austin updated the FInancial Aid part of their UTEID login? Is that a good or bad sign for everyone who applied to Austin?!?!?

Y'all! Someone posted on the results page that UT-Austin updated the FInancial Aid part of their UTEID login? Is that a good or bad sign for everyone who applied to Austin?!?!?

Hi pinoysoc:  Did your financial aid status change as well?  Mine was updated today, too.  Not sure what to make of it.

pinoysoc671, on 23 Jan 2014 - 6:30 PM, said:snapback.png

Hi pinoysoc:  Did your financial aid status change as well?  Mine was updated today, too.  Not sure what to make of it.

Just to throw in, I checked my UTEID and my status had not updated. Hopefully I will hear something soon. Otherwise, I am kind of starting to freak out and wonder about schools, especially UCLA and Minnesota seeing all the acceptance in the results page. My Minnesota status says "waiting for decision" and UCLA just says "submitted." I have not heard anything yet, and checking this website, my email, and phone constantly, but maybe it is still early? Fingers crossed. 

Just to throw in, I checked my UTEID and my status had not updated. Hopefully I will hear something soon. Otherwise, I am kind of starting to freak out and wonder about schools, especially UCLA and Minnesota seeing all the acceptance in the results page. My Minnesota status says "waiting for decision" and UCLA just says "submitted." I have not heard anything yet, and checking this website, my email, and phone constantly, but maybe it is still early? Fingers crossed. 

It seems that based on the results pages from previous years, the larger programs especially seem to send acceptances out in stages (I was considering making a histogram of date v. number of acceptances for various schools but refrained!) Anyways, I think there is definitely no reason to worry at this early point in time :)

It's definitely still early, SocApp.  Hang in there.  

It seems around 10 people have been accepted during the past two weeks by UCLA, I think the gate is closed for me

I'm counting 8 and I still have hope! There were a few late notifications last year AND just because someone is accepted...doesn't mean it will be the right fit for them.  

Until I get a rejection notice, my UCLA hopes are still alive!  

RE: UT-Austin...

I don't know everything or really ANYthing about the admissions process due to how convoluted all the schools insist on making this process. I do, however, know that the websites are usually the last thing to get updated. If you were admitted, they'd probably email or call the few students admitted before taking the time to make any changes to each individual application online. I would guess they do that all in one swoop, including the rejection notices on those whose applications didn't make the cut. It seems strange that they'd update just the financial aid page without updating your entire online application to let you know you've been admitted. That's just my $.02. I know we're all looking for any reason to believe we've gotten into a school, but I think its still too early to tell. Nothing is for sure until you've got physical proof that something has happened.

On that note, good luck to all of us still waiting for decisions. I hope things heat up for everyone in the next 7-14 days!

I do, however, know that the websites are usually the last thing to get updated. If you were admitted, they'd probably email or call the few students admitted before taking the time to make any changes to each individual application online. I would guess they do that all in one swoop, including the rejection notices on those whose applications didn't make the cut. It seems strange that they'd update just the financial aid page without updating your entire online application to let you know you've been admitted. That's just my $.02. I know we're all looking for any reason to believe we've gotten into a school, but I think its still too early to tell. Nothing is for sure until you've got physical proof that something has happened.

On that note, good luck to all of us still waiting for decisions. I hope things heat up for everyone in the next 7-14 days!

I agree. So far I've gotten into 2 schools, and I was notified by faculty in the department about both. Both said the graduate school would not get back to me with specific details for a few weeks. My "status" on both grad school applications still say pending (don't say "accepted").

Good luck to everyone! It's still very early in the game.