SLP Fall 2014

Are there any schools that do not require letters of recommendations?

Grand Valley State in Michigan doesn't require letters, but you do have to put 3 people down that they will call.

Grand Valley State in Michigan doesn't require letters, but you do have to put 3 people down that they will call.

Thanks Karita,

That wouldn't help me still.  I just realized that one of my referees has been sabotaging me.  

@autismadvocate - quick question...Where did you get those admission stats? I was going off ASHA EdFind, but was told those numbers were out-of-date.

...like I need any help in my neurotic state....buuuut, I'd still be curious =)

Please and thank you!

L.

I'd only been planning on applying to four schools. I chose them by whether or not they had autism programs, so their competitiveness varies (I didn't look at rankings at all). UCF admits 45%, Marshall admits 36%, FSU admits 22%, and Texas State admits a mere 8% (yikes!). So I guess I have a combo of reaches and safeties, even if it's on accident. I'm wondering if I shouldn't apply to more, just in case, but I don't want to apply to any more than necessary because I, too, am very, very ridiculously broke. With my stats (GPA: Undergrad: 3.9, Post-bacc: 3.91 | GRE: Verbal: 167; Quantitative: 155; Writing: 5.5 | Languages: Pretty Much Trilingual (Spanish and Mandarin Chinese) | Experience: Lots of volunteer, personal, and professional experience with people on the autism spectrum), do you think those four schools are enough, or should I apply to more?

I know this wasn't directed at me but I think those 4 schools are probably enough. But I may be biased because I'm only applying to four due to my fiance's job.

@autismadvocate - quick question...Where did you get those admission stats? I was going off ASHA EdFind, but was told those numbers were out-of-date.

Please and thank you!

L.

I think I did get them off of EdFind. Even if they're out of date, I think they're still a good indicator of the approximate competitiveness of a school.

And thanks so much for your advice, flnjslp! The question was for anyone willing to answer it. :)

Please and thank you!

L.

I had also heard that they were out of date, but if you look at the Edfind entries, each of them have a "date last updated" date at the top... I think the oldest information I saw was from September of 2013. Maybe ASHA heard the complaints and decided to do some updates?

I feel like CSDCAS is never going to finish verifying my application and send it off to Rush.

I know they said they do wait a couple of weeks after the deadline to get those verifications, but we're at two weeks now and I'm still wait on CSDCAS.

*headdesk*

I feel like CSDCAS is never going to finish verifying my application and send it off to Rush.

I know they said they do wait a couple of weeks after the deadline to get those verifications, but we're at two weeks now and I'm still wait on CSDCAS.

*headdesk*

I have been waiting on this too! They actually seem to be firing through the days pretty quickly - if you look at the right hand side of your application page on CSDCAS it says what day your application was completed and what day they are currently verifying! Mine is today! Hopefully I am finally verified so I can see what they calculate my GPA as! 

Hello, newbie here.  I have just read through this forum and am now completely intimidated!  Everyone seems to have such wonderful scores and experiences that I no longer know where I stand..  Although as someone else mentioned, those intense enough to seek out a forum like this probably skew towards the more competitive end of the pool so I'm trying to keep that in mind.  :-P

Something I've been wondering about though.. I see a lot of GPA and GRE listing and comparison and such, but never any mention about academic differences in undergraduate programs.  If someone has a 3.6 GPA from a nationally top 10 school, doesn't that hold at least as much weight as someone getting a 3.9 at a lesser known school?  Doesn't it count for something if someone has a 3.2 but majored in an intensive engineering program (where GPAs are notoriously lower)?  Based on what I've read it seems like GPAs are just compared at face value as though the same number means the same thing everywhere.  Thoughts?

I think that many schools take the undergraduate programs and schools into consideration when they are looking at GPAs. There is a professor here at San Diego State (SDSU) who sits on the application committee that was in an Engineering major before she switched. She is definitely one that understands that some classes are more difficult than others and can affect the GPA. Taking someone like her into consideration, many graduate committees are compiled of professionals from various backgrounds and think it is important to look beyond the grades. Unfortunately there are some programs that set a cut-off GPA to limit the applications they have to review. Most of the cut-offs are pretty reasonable though. Like, SDSU's is 3.2. It used to be 3.0. 

I do think that some schools develop "reputations" that can influence the way an admissions committee views a prospective student from that school. Like if, in the past, students from that undergrad program were admitted and looked great on paper, but didn't fare well in the grad program, the grad admissions committee may remember that next time they see an applicant from that school. So I'm sure that if you went to a school with a very good undergrad program, that has a good reputation with the grad schools you're applying to, that will be taken into account even if your GPA is slightly lower. However, if a school has a cut-off (like below 3.5 or something), I think they just don't even consider your application regardless of what university you came from. I went to a small, private school that grad programs outside of the midwest probably haven't heard of, and I really hope they don't think that I got a 4.0 easily because of that. GPAs and GRE scores should be comparable - that is the point of them.

As far as someone coming from out-of-major, I think admissions committees have a different way of evaluating their application so I'm not sure about that.

It is interesting that you say, "Like if, in the past, students from that undergrad program were admitted and looked great on paper, but didn't fare well in the grad program, the grad admissions committee may remember that next time they see an applicant from that school." I have talked to some professors here because I was concerned about not have perfect scores (average GRE) and minimal field experience but they were reassuring. They said that many programs are realizing that they have to start looking past the GPA and GRE scores. The scores are more as a brief idea of how focused the student was in undergrad. That is why many of the programs are moving towards personal interviews. They interviews give the committees an idea of how the student interact and if they are capable of keeping their cool and fluid in conversation. I wish the programs that I am applying to would do interviews. At least, they would get to meet me and interact with me. 

I agree with you. I'm not sure about cut-offs unless they're explicitly stated (like NYMC's program). As someone who spent his first two years as a computer science major, my GPA isn't as pristine as some of you who were speech from the start, or at least had an idea of what they wanted to do entering college (or, when doing your post-bacc). I'd like to think looking at the coursework factors in greatly when deciding whether or not to dismiss an applicant simply based on their GPA. For example, I believe relatively good grades in CS (or any "difficult" non-speech major) shouldn't frowned upon for not being straight A's, but should still be seen as a positive.

See my response above. 

So relieved. Portland State sent out an email telling everyone to submit their applications even if things like GRE scores (which CSDCAS still hasn't posted nor responded to my husband's email asking why, after two weeks, they're not posted) and LORs aren't in, as they'll continue to accept documents past the 15th. This is great news since that pesky third LOR writer emailed my husband at midnight to say that he's been sick and would be turning it in today... And still we wait. (can you tell i'm stressing as much as my husband? hahaha  :wacko:)

Ugh. One of my letter of recommendation writers never sent in his letter and hasn't responded to my two emails (one last semester with info about where I was applying, one followup this semester). So I asked my employer for the third letter for this school. I work with children with special needs so it's applicable and my two other letters are professors but still I hate it when my plans fall through. So stressful!

Update - my letter writer submitted the letter! Now I'm just waiting on my letter writer for Seton Hall. I know he wrote the letter. He just needs to upload it.

I'm so nervous right now. Apps are due tomorrow for FSU, but the status checker isn't reporting that my transcripts have arrived yet (and doesn't say a thing one way or another about the GRE). Scaring me! I ordered the transcripts to get sent last week... :( One of the schools I need transcripts from is a partner school with FSU, so I ordered an additional electronic transcript (which I figure would get there more rapidly?) to be sent that way just now (the school actually requested snail mail, which is the way I sent it originally). I emailed the address FSU gave for applications yesterday about the transcript problem, but haven't heard back...It's just scary... :(

I'm so nervous right now. Apps are due tomorrow for FSU, but the status checker isn't reporting that my transcripts have arrived yet (and doesn't say a thing one way or another about the GRE). Scaring me! I ordered the transcripts to get sent last week... :( One of the schools I need transcripts from is a partner school with FSU, so I ordered an additional electronic transcript (which I figure would get there more rapidly?) to be sent that way just now (the school actually requested snail mail, which is the way I sent it originally). I emailed the address FSU gave for applications yesterday about the transcript problem, but haven't heard back...It's just scary... :(

Oh man, so nerve-wracking. :( Perhaps you could also email the school who sent the transcripts, asking when they went out? 

It must be going around. My husband just sent another reminder to his last LOR writer (who approached HIM and volunteered to write it!) that applications and LORs are due Wednesday.  :unsure: So stressful.

Update on this end - third LOR writer apparently submitted his letter some time after 10:30 last night. My husband told him they were due by 11:59 (just in case).  <_< But CSDCAS finally emailed him back and now his GRE scores are posted. WHOO! Three apps in, three to go.

So, it turns out that the online status checker doesn't even work for the SLP program (which would have been really nice to know!) so now I have no clue if my transcripts are or aren't there. Hoping the former, because I've been calling/emailing all week and I have yet to get in touch with anyone from the program... :( I attached an unofficial transcript to my application, so hopefully that improve the odds of a favorable outcome? Wishful thinking...I just don't know what else I can do.

Btw, I do know they were sent from my schools. Apparently one was sent on Friday, but the other wasn't sent until Monday - do you guys think that's enough time for either to have gotten there? All schools are in the same state (and the one that was sent Monday is only a couple hours' drive from FSU), but that's still making me rather nervous...

Should one of the transcripts not have made it in time, since I did send an unofficial transcript, do you think it would mean automatic disqualification or not?

Edited by autismadvocate

So, it turns out that the online status checker doesn't even work for the SLP program (which would have been really nice to know!) so now I have no clue if my transcripts are or aren't there. Hoping the former, because I've been calling/emailing all week and I have yet to get in touch with anyone from the program... :( I attached an unofficial transcript to my application, so hopefully that improve the odds of a favorable outcome? Wishful thinking...I just don't know what else I can do.

Btw, I do know they were sent from my schools. Apparently one was sent on Friday, but the other wasn't sent until Monday - do you guys think that's enough time for either to have gotten there? All schools are in the same state (and the one that was sent Monday is only a couple hours' drive from FSU), but that's still making me rather nervous...

Should one of the transcripts not have made it in time, since I did send an unofficial transcript, do you think it would mean automatic disqualification or not?

Depending on when you sent out the transcripts, a lot of programs are backlogged. I submitted my transcripts end of November and University of Maryland verified receipt last Friday, January 10th. From my understanding most schools want receipt of transcripts by a specific date. 

To you last question - Unfortunately, I think you would be automatically disqualified if it didn't make it on time. Many programs don't have time to make exceptions for individuals unless there is a significant reason. Have you tried contacting the schools? 

It's really hard to say. It seems like some schools understand the delays in processing and give some wiggle room, and others don't. I looked at FSU's website and it looks like they take a pretty hard line on the due date, but Portland State's site looks like that too and they emailed to let people know that it was still okay to submit applications even if the transcripts haven't been processed as received yet, so... I wouldn't count yourself out of the running but it would be good to keep trying to get in touch with the school.  :unsure:

I talked to CSDCAS and they said it should be ok as long as you submit your application on CSDCAS by deadline. As per CSDCAS even the transcripts are not received on time it should be ok. Schools do understand because of back log it takes time even though your school send transcripts before the deadline.

Thanks so much you guys! I have tried to get in touch with them. I sent an email either Sunday or Monday, which was never answered, and called and left a voicemail today (which I fear will probably never be replied to). I'm just really upset and stressed, because this really isn't anything that reflects on me (I guess you could say poor planning ahead, but I honestly thought it wouldn't take this long to send a transcript) and I would hate to have that disqualify me. I guess I'll try calling again tomorrow - if I am, in fact, disqualified, I need to know so I apply to more schools.

The application is directly through FSU, not through CSDCAS, but hopefully FSU has the same outlook. FSU as a whole seems more flexible about their dates (they actually just extended the deadline for undergrad apps because of glitches with the application fee payment system), but I don't know if that's reflective of the Communication Sciences and Disorders department... I'm just so upset right now.

Just received an email from one of my schools saying that they haven't received any of the forms that I sent (one of which I have no way to get a copy of because it had to be signed by my professor who is now on maternity leave) or my transcripts. AHHHH.

I feel for you flnjslp. :(

My own situation is simultaneously looking better and worse. Worse because it looks like the odds my transcripts made it on time are lower, given the fact that FSU was apparently getting a backlog of admissions materials, particularly transcripts, at the time. Better because on the voicemail of the woman in charge of CSD admissions she specifically acknowledged this backlog, leading me to hope this will result in more flexibility surrounding late transcripts. She, of course, didn't actually say that would be the case, but I live in hope...

If it makes you guys feel any better, I applied to Northern Illinois University and realized that I wasn't able to log into the online portal to submit my SOP and resume so I tried to contact the school on Monday. They must be really busy because I don't think they thoroughly read my email and I never got a real answer from them. So I ended up emailing the admissions secretary my documents last night on the deadline. Super frustrating but hopefully I get a response soon. I think that I was probably supposed to be sent a PIN after I submitted my application and paid my fee.

Hi I am applying to Cal State San Marcos and they had two personal essays descriptions on their website, does anyone know exactly which one it is. I tried calling and got no reply, thought maybe I would try here. Thanks!

I think that many schools take the undergraduate programs and schools into consideration when they are looking at GPAs. There is a professor here at San Diego State (SDSU) who sits on the application committee that was in an Engineering major before she switched. She is definitely one that understands that some classes are more difficult than others and can affect the GPA. Taking someone like her into consideration, many graduate committees are compiled of professionals from various backgrounds and think it is important to look beyond the grades. Unfortunately there are some programs that set a cut-off GPA to limit the applications they have to review. Most of the cut-offs are pretty reasonable though. Like, SDSU's is 3.2. It used to be 3.0. 

I think you're right that admissions committees are reasonable enough to know that students come from different backgrounds and that GPAs can't just be compared at face value, at least for out-of-field applicants.  I suppose it makes some sense for Communications Disorders majors, and of course GRE scores are also useful for comparison (in some ways).

Once applications move past the GPA cut-off, it makes sense that committees would look at applicants holistically.  If it were as easy as comparing grades and test scores and taking those at the top, we would probably be sorted by computers instead of people!