SLP Fall 2014

I have been postponing looking at this thread for as long as possible. I guess it is finally time to face the inevitable and look at how amazing everyone is that wants to be in this field. I have to tell you I felt pretty confident until I looked at all of your guys’ stats. I just want this waiting period to be over already!

I am a senior at Cal State Fullerton. I have a CSD GPA of 4.0, overall of 3.90, and last 60 units is 4.0. My GRE is V:156 Q:156 AW:4.0 (not great). I work as a personal assistant to an SLP that owns a multidisciplinary private practice. I also worked as an assistant to a neuropsychologist. I have worked two summers as a camp counselor and volunteer at a local rescue mission for people trying to get off the streets and beat addictions. I also tutor two girls with speech sound disorders, and work retail. Additionally,  I am part of the honors program and am completing a senior honor's project where I am creating a manual for parents on how to use board games to encourage language and pragmatic skills. I am fairly confident my letters of rec are strong. But seriously how much more experience can they expect me to have; I am only twenty two for crying out loud!!

Well good luck to everyone and can’t wait to hear everyone's results!

Applying to: CSUF, CSULB, PSU, TWU, Vanderbilt, UT Knoxville, Pacific, SFSU

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

I have been postponing looking at this thread for as long as possible. I guess it is finally time to face the inevitable and look at how amazing everyone is that wants to be in this field. I have to tell you I felt pretty confident until I looked at all of your guys’ stats. I just want this waiting period to be over already!

I am a senior at Cal State Fullerton. I have a CSD GPA of 4.0, overall of 3.90, and last 60 units is 4.0. My GRE is V:156 Q:156 AW:4.0 (not great). I work as a personal assistant to an SLP that owns a multidisciplinary private practice. I also worked as an assistant to a neuropsychologist. I have worked two summers as a camp counselor and volunteer at a local rescue mission for people trying to get off the streets and beat addictions. I also tutor two girls with speech sound disorders, and work retail. Additionally,  I am part of the honors program and am completing a senior honor's project where I am creating a manual for parents on how to use board games to encourage language and pragmatic skills. I am fairly confident my letters of rec are strong. But seriously how much more experience can they expect me to have; I am only twenty two for crying out loud!!

Applying to: CSUF, CSULB, PSU, TWU, Vanderbilt, UT Knoxville, Pacific, SFSU

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

Will you be posting the manual online anywhere after you finish it? I'm a caregiver for technically one child on the autism spectrum (actually two - parents are in denial about big brother because he's "higher functioning"), and that sounds like a great thing to use with him. :)

Also, your stats sound fine, don't stress so much! (Okay, so maybe I'm a hypocrite there, but it's still good advice!) SLP programs seem to weight GPA more heavily than GRE - basically so long as you're 150+ on both sections, you're doing well. :)

Good news to you, I have heard rumors that Fullerton likes to take their own students! :)  Same with individuals that come from Long Beach. 

Edited by ImpulsiveNixie

Received official notification that my CSDCAS application is not only complete, but verified.  Such a relief.

And now the waiting game starts.  Thankfully, I'll know if I made it past the initial round at my first choice in only a couple of weeks (Rush asks people that make it past the first round to complete a supplemental application).  Still feels like forever, but at least it is something breaking up the 2 / 3 month wait before I'll know what my life is going to look like come August.

Asemoooo,

You're right. CSUEB doesn't require it. I'm happy to hear you plan on attending there! It's a great school. Just be aware that they don't offer a great deal of night classes and mostly will have a set course schedule of classes smack right in the middle of the day which makes it nearly impossible to work. 

The faculty is really knowledgable though and cohorts are very small and supporting of one another. Also, the school is on a quarter calendar schedule which is awesome if you work well under pressure and it feels like time flies by. But if not, it can be pretty stressful. I remember going over the syllabus in the first week and having a midterm scheduled for that following week already!!! Midterm? Not really. So be prepared to study, study, study ALL THE TIME for three months straight. 

Ps: And also, avoid moving to Hayward if you can. It's not the best city to live in, in the bay area. ;)

Hi Katha, How many quarter units is in the SLP program?  How many do students do to complete the program at CSUEB?

You all have wonderful stats. My undergrad GPA is not fantastic, 3.46 for my cumulative, 3.9 for in major GPA and last 2 years. GRE: Q: 152, V: 151 AW: 4.5 (not that great either.) I work for Mountain Area Health Education Center as a Senior Admin Assistant (MAHEC is a education center for Doctors doing residencies in Western North Carolina) I also volunteered in multiple settings, but most recently at Park Ridge where I gained a lot of experience doing Modified Barium Swallow Studies  and I had the opportunity to watch hours’ worth of Video fluoroscopy, help mix the barium for these modified barium swallow studies, watch and observe bedside swallow evaluations, learn swallow and feeding techniques, and also observe therapy techniques including VitalStim on facial and Laryngeal sites. I have watched multiple Laryngeal Stroboscopy’s of the vocal folds and learned much more about the anatomy of the swallow by being able to watch and learn through this observation. I've also volunteered in clinics for my undergrad (at Applachian) and have spent time at Pardee, Care Partners, Hospitals, Inpatient, Outpatient, babysitting a girl with Apraxia of Speech. I also have Public Speaking experience, and have helped with Research with a professor at APP - writing transcriptions via the SALT methods. I was on NSSLHA at App and the Treasurer for a year before I graduated. I am a NSSLHA and NCSLHA Member, and have volunteered at one of the ASHA Conferences. I've applied to 9 schools, and have already been offered an Interview for Loma Linda. Hoping not to go so far away, but excited for the opportunity. It is so competitive, but I can't wait to be in graduate school. My interests are Dysphagia and Swallowing Disorders - but I am unsure if I would love working with infants or adults more!! I also LOVE the brain! 

Lillian, you sound quite competitive, don't worry so much! (Again, I'm a giant hypocrite there, but it's good advice even if I don't take it, lol.) Your in-major GPA is more important than overall, and since you can show an upward pattern to your grades (better GPA last two years) that makes it look even better. :) Plus with your GRE (which is much better than you made it sound - basically 150+ seems fine) and your experience, and the sheer number of schools you're applying to...I'd be ridiculously surprised if you didn't get in anywhere. That said, good luck! :)

Just sent out my 8/9th app. Wishing luck to all of you applying... the waiting game sucks!

BTW, is anyone here applying to any CUNY schools? What's the consensus on the few programs? I know if I get in I'll likely go (can't beat the price) but I've heard very little from my current school's faculty about any of those programs being large or super involved.

Just sent out my 8/9th app. Wishing luck to all of you applying... the waiting game sucks!

BTW, is anyone here applying to any CUNY schools? What's the consensus on the few programs? I know if I get in I'll likely go (can't beat the price) but I've heard very little from my current school's faculty about any of those programs being large or super involved.

I have applied to three CUNY schools, Brooklyn C, Hunter C, and Lehman C. I have heard excellent things about Lehman's program. 

I made it to the interview process, but did not make the cut for the Spring 2014 session. I am reapplying for the Fall 2014. Hunter College had issues in the past from what I have been told, but now they have new faculty and the program has made a complete 360. I went to the open house for Brooklyn College and was impressed by their program. 

I sent off my 14th and FINAL application packet to Jackson State yesterday!  Ahhhhh Finally DONE!  Now just need to keep busy for 6 weeks to keep the anxiety down....  or just sign myself up for some Biofeedback(stress) sessions at my work!  :)

I just received an email from Rush University inviting me to fill out a supplemental application. It gives me hope that I haven't been rejected yet!

Congrats! Looks like you made it through the first wave of their application process!

Done with apps! Granted, although everything's in at all the school's the status checker isn't reflecting it, which is making me kind of nervous, but I'm just going to ignore it and focus on the fact that I submitted everything! I thought it was impossible, but my stress levels have actually dropped way down...now I just have to do my work for my online CSD classes! And wait a month to start hearing back...

Woohoo! The school that had lost all of my stuff said that my application is complete and is under review!  :D

Now to wait.... and get caught up on my actual coursework.

Received an invitation to complete the supplemental application at Rush as well!  I'm terribly excited, as Rush is definitely my top choice.

Just submitted the supplemental app - now the waiting game begins.  I'm so grateful for school / crochet projects this month.

Done with apps! Granted, although everything's in at all the school's the status checker isn't reflecting it, which is making me kind of nervous, but I'm just going to ignore it and focus on the fact that I submitted everything! I thought it was impossible, but my stress levels have actually dropped way down...now I just have to do my work for my online CSD classes! And wait a month to start hearing back...

Well, that didn't last long...I'm back to stressing already. I just want to knooooooooooooooooooow!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to everyone who received supplemental applications from Rush! I received an invitation as well.

Does anyone know what our chances are now that we are through to the next "round" of the admission process?

Just got an email from University of the Pacific.  I applied for their "Early Applicant Pool"(dec. 6th deadline) and I did not get accepted but am automatically pushed over to the feb. 1st deadline pool of applicants and reevaluated again.  Better than a straight rejection right? :)