SLP Fall 2014

Good news! Someone finally responded to one of the emails I sent! Bad news: neither my transcripts NOR my GRE scores made it in time. I'm really shocked by the GRE scores bit because I sent those a week before the deadline and I thought they were electronic and sent rapidly. Maybe the back-up at the admissions office backed those up, too?

On the good news side, the person who responded said that I should send in my unofficial transcripts and unofficial GRE report so that the admissions committee had something to review. This is doubly good news because 1) in saying this, she's implying I'm not automatically disqualified and 2) I actually had already attached one of my schools' unofficial transcripts and a copy of my GRE score report to my original application, in the interests of covering all my bases. So it sounds like (I really Really REALLY hope!) it's going to be okay. :) :) :)

Good luck DeafAudi and flnjslp!

Edited by autismadvocate

Just a FYI--GRE scores do take several weeks to send. It's frustrating and I'm not sure why they can't be sent sooner because as you said, they are electronic...I'm crossing my fingers that mine arrive on time, too.

I STILL haven't heard anything from NIU! Ugh! I debated emailing/calling the graduate school as well but the supporting documents were to be submitted directly to the department, anyway. I already sent three emails so I don't want to be annoying but at the same time I want to make sure my documents are received.

I feel for you flnjslp. :(

My own situation is simultaneously looking better and worse. Worse because it looks like the odds my transcripts made it on time are lower, given the fact that FSU was apparently getting a backlog of admissions materials, particularly transcripts, at the time. Better because on the voicemail of the woman in charge of CSD admissions she specifically acknowledged this backlog, leading me to hope this will result in more flexibility surrounding late transcripts. She, of course, didn't actually say that would be the case, but I live in hope...

Good news! Someone finally responded to one of the emails I sent! Bad news: neither my transcripts NOR my GRE scores made it in time. I'm really shocked by the GRE scores bit because I sent those a week before the deadline and I thought they were electronic and sent rapidly. Maybe the back-up at the admissions office backed those up, too?

On the good news side, the person who responded said that I should send in my unofficial transcripts and unofficial GRE report so that the admissions committee had something to review. This is doubly good news because 1) in saying this, she's implying I'm not automatically disqualified and 2) I actually had already attached one of my schools' unofficial transcripts and a copy of my GRE score report to my original application, in the interests of covering all my bases. So it sounds like (I really Really REALLY hope!) it's going to be okay. :) :) :)

Good luck DeafAudi and flnjslp!

Thank you and good luck to both of you as well!

The school that doesn't have my forms/transcripts has the best research program of all of the schools. But it's also the most expensive so it wasn't my top choice. So at least that's good. I just feel weird about now only having three completed applications. That seems like not enough schools.

FYI to anyone applying to Fort Hays State - my husband was filling out the app last night and it capped the number of schools he could enter at 5. He called them today because he's attended 6 schools and wanted to know what he should do. The gentleman in the grad office said that as far as the grad office is concerned, they really only care about receiving transcripts from the school you got your bachelors from, providing you completed at least 60 units at that school. Obviously my husband will still be sending on transcripts from his post-bacc, but it sounds like they don't put a huge stress on reviewing every single transcript. 

I wasn't clear what the final verdict was on the 6th school, but I'm assuming that they don't really care about that either haha.

I took the GRE in the summer, and had my scores sent to a few schools including University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I meant to e-mail them before the deadline to make sure they received and saved my scores (because they would have received them in the summer before I started an application). I forgot to e-mail them. The deadline was January 15. Do you think it would make me look bad to e-mail them now to make sure they received my scores? It's obviously after deadline. Or should I just wait and see if they contact me? I did e-mail Marquette, who I also sent my scores to in the summer, and even though they explicitly stated they would not save scores they received before an application was turned in, they had kept my scores and I didn't need to resend them. I don't want to be a pest but the possibility that they didn't receive my scores is freaking me out!

Just a FYI--GRE scores do take several weeks to send. It's frustrating and I'm not sure why they can't be sent sooner because as you said, they are electronic...I'm crossing my fingers that mine arrive on time, too.

I STILL haven't heard anything from NIU! Ugh! I debated emailing/calling the graduate school as well but the supporting documents were to be submitted directly to the department, anyway. I already sent three emails so I don't want to be annoying but at the same time I want to make sure my documents are received.

That makes so much more sense now! My school said not to take a GRE later than a certain date (some time in December) so they'd get the scores in time. I took their words literally and took the GRE prior to their listed date...but didn't send the scores until much later. Wow. 20-20 hindsight...

Maybe try calling them? It took two emails and a phone call for me to get my answers...

I took the GRE in the summer, and had my scores sent to a few schools including University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I meant to e-mail them before the deadline to make sure they received and saved my scores (because they would have received them in the summer before I started an application). I forgot to e-mail them. The deadline was January 15. Do you think it would make me look bad to e-mail them now to make sure they received my scores? It's obviously after deadline. Or should I just wait and see if they contact me? I did e-mail Marquette, who I also sent my scores to in the summer, and even though they explicitly stated they would not save scores they received before an application was turned in, they had kept my scores and I didn't need to resend them. I don't want to be a pest but the possibility that they didn't receive my scores is freaking me out!

I would email them. It's not going to hurt you and it might help you, so do it. Who knows, maybe it'll turn out like my situation and they'll ask you to submit an unofficial copy of your scores? Heck, I'd go ahead and attach an unofficial copy (you can get one from the ETS website) to the email just in case.  Good luck!

"We have received your official transcripts as well as your official GRE scores. Your application is complete and ready for review."

Some of the happiest words I've ever heard! FSU sent this, so for anyone whose transcripts or scores were late getting in like mine, know that there is hope!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

More happy words, @autismadvocate! (haha) :)

"Thank you for applying for graduate studies at the University of Central Florida!  Your application to the Comm Sciences and Disorders MA program for Fall 2014 has been received and processed.  Any application supporting documents received as of today have also been processed."

Good luck with your applications, everyone!

kbell, congratulations! *does a happy dance*

On my front, though, your words are kind of nerve-wracking because I applied to UCF myself, but at the moment absolutely everything is coming up as incomplete on the status checker - even the things I attached directly to my application! Did you have any similar experience? And how long ago did you apply?

Got the "Complete, ready for review" message from my top choice on Tuesday! I also submitted my graduate assistantship application. I'm so happy :)

I also sorted out the problem with the school that didn't have any of my forms. Now all they are missing is my transcripts so I reordered them. My other two schools are done and ready for review.

Now the waiting begins....

@autismadvocate,

I actually did have a bit of an issue with UCF in the beginning. After I submitted the application online, I got the email confirmation that told me I could check the status on MyUCF. But, when I tried to log on 24-48 hrs later (all in the middle of last week, I think), the MyUCF system was telling me that it couldn't locate my PID. I talked to someone from UCF online (essentially some sort of support person for graduate applications stuff), and she said to wait a bit for the system to update. This weekend I was finally able to log on (got my PID successfully and all) and check my application status. It did kind of freak me out that it said "incomplete", but the only thing marked as missing was the transcript and everything else was marked "complete."

Anywho, I think they might just be kinda swamped right now. Case in point: it took two weeks from the time my school (UVA) sent my transcript until UCF finally marked it as "received." But, I would also recommend trying to get in contact with them because it does seem pretty strange that all those things that you submitted via their online app are marked as incomplete/not received. One last Q: has your app fee payment been received processed? I don't know if that might have anything to do with it, but maybe if it hasn't been processed yet then that might be holding up the other things?

Got the "Complete, ready for review" message from my top choice on Tuesday! I also submitted my graduate assistantship application. I'm so happy :)

I also sorted out the problem with the school that didn't have any of my forms. Now all they are missing is my transcripts so I reordered them. My other two schools are done and ready for review.

Now the waiting begins....

All my applications are complete as well. The wait begins for me as well...Good Luck to you and all applicants! 

kbell,

I am very relieved to report that when I checked my status today, it was marking everything but my transcripts and recommendation letters as complete. Of course, I would be more relieved if those were coming up as complete, too, but at least it's something...

artsyrunner,  I'm applying to UGA and Memphis, too!  I'm excited to start hearing back, but the wait is killing me.  From looking at when people stated hearing back last year, we can expect to hear from UGA late March-early February and U Memphis during the first week of March.  Of course, they could do it differently this year, but I hope it's sooner rather than later!

Congrats, SLPamy!!!! :) :) :) I wish I could say the same...

UCF is driving me nuts with the slow updates on the status checker! My transcripts mailed to them on the 22nd. It is now almost a week later, and the universities are seriously just an hour or two apart, and my transcript should definitely be there by now. But it's not showing up in the status checker - it's making me nervous!!!

I know, its so hard status checking and your stuff is not showing up. I would double check with the grad office too if your deadline is approaching soon. 5 of the grad schools I sent transcripts to with the "electronic system" didn't receive the transcript, so I had to go and send them the old fashioned way. I would just double check it! :) 

Looks the the first acceptances of the season are going out!  Cal State Northridge Distance Program.  Good luck to all who applied to the distance program!