MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Congrats fairweather! Hope you get the funding you need and want.

Also congrats mlk on the interview.

Someone posted a UBC acceptance on the results page, anyone own that? It is a little early for them and there is usually a Skype interview first..I have my doubts. It wouldn't be hard to verify.

Just got an unofficial e-mail from UT Austin, Waitlisted. They said I should be glad since they only offer the spots to 5 people, still depressed.

Edited by JoJoYang

Just got an unofficial e-mail from UT Austin, Waitlisted. Am I going to be rejected/waitlisted for everysingle school?! DEPRESSED. I might just have to apply next year.

This is how I am feeling right about now since I was officially rejected from Sryacuse(Art Video) via email and unofficially rejected from PSU(Studio Practice) and UCSB.(I called both schools)

When was your interview?

The only interview I have so far is with University of Pennsylvania, which was originally for the 12th but has been rescheduled twice so it is now this Thursday...Not really sure if I should read into the fact that they seem to be in no real hurry to speak with me. UPenn is my first choice so hopefully it doesn't mean to much.

Ahhhh!!!!… now cranbrook is trying to convince me to do their interview on the same weekend as my SAIC interview (March 1st).  That would mean I need to pay a 100 fee just to change my flight itinerary, but at least i wouldn't have to wait the better part of a month to interview in the same region. 

I don't know what to do….

if its physically possible then you should do it.  They're suggesting you do it so I would assume it would be more beneficial for you.  There's nothing better to spend your money on! Or, that's how I like to think of spending all of this money at least.  

The only interview I have so far is with University of Pennsylvania, which was originally for the 12th but has been rescheduled twice so it is now this Thursday...Not really sure if I should read into the fact that they seem to be in no real hurry to speak with me. UPenn is my first choice so hopefully it doesn't mean to much.

Don't read anything into the rescheduling. Just go in there with confidence and give it your best shot. We'll be rooting for you!

Congrats fairweather and good luck mlk...

For those of you not getting better news, I know its hard to stay positive but it isn't over yet. Being wait listed isn't bad news and its quite possible that you will get in. 

Plenty of people need to reapply several times and many people I've talked to (or read about) felt it was more beneficial to take some time off before going to grad school. 

I know that doesn't help to ease the sting of rejection, but there can be a positive side to almost anything. 

Personally, I'd like to get any kind of news, but I'll probably take that back as soon as I get a rejection.  :unsure:

"Someone posted a UBC acceptance on the results page, anyone own that? It is a little early for them and there is usually a Skype interview first..I have my doubts. It wouldn't be hard to verify."

Ok, so I know who this is...its legit. And a little out of the ordinary. Yay though!

Just got an interview for SAIC's Masters of Design in Designed Objects program (MDDO)

Coreythegiraffe,

how was it and how did it go? because I just got an email for an interview over Skype/phone for the exact same school and same program. Wonder if the interviewer would be the same too.

Anyways, best luck!!!

Edited by redsky0719

Ok. I apologize to all, since I have been quietly trolling this feed for more than a month.

I should probably note that I received my BFA from the Glasgow School of Art and was surprised to see that there were many applicants for the MFA here. Perhaps I can answer some general Glasgow questions.

In terms of the UPenn interview push, I have a friend in the program and I know that the head of school recently passed so this move is most likely a result of  big internal changes/disruption. 

Any news from UCLA yet? 

Yale- rejected

Columbia-

UCLA-

USC-

Hunter-

Edited by things_x2

Congrats fairweather and good luck mlk...

For those of you not getting better news, I know its hard to stay positive but it isn't over yet. Being wait listed isn't bad news and its quite possible that you will get in. 

Plenty of people need to reapply several times and many people I've talked to (or read about) felt it was more beneficial to take some time off before going to grad school. 

I know that doesn't help to ease the sting of rejection, but there can be a positive side to almost anything. 

Personally, I'd like to get any kind of news, but I'll probably take that back as soon as I get a rejection.  :unsure:

No kidding, just want to hear SOMETHING...

Ok. I apologize to all, since I have been quietly trolling this feed for more than a month.

I should probably note that I received my BFA from the Glasgow School of Art and was surprised to see that there were many applicants for the MFA here. Perhaps I can answer some general Glasgow questions.

In terms of the UPenn interview push, I have a friend in the program and I know that the head of school recently passed so this move is most likely a result of  big internal changes/disruption. 

Any news from UCLA yet? 

Yale- rejected

Columbia-

UCLA-

USC-

Hunter-

Hi!

I would love to find out more about GSA! Were you an international student? How was that like? What is it like to live in Glasgow? Did you graduate with ridiculous amount of debt? What major were you? Do you have any experience with the Communication Design Department? How hard is it to get it? How many people are in the program? If you are familiar with ComDes, is the school aim towards more commercial or academia aproach in educating their students? There are just some questions I have, please feel free to elaborate!

Thanks so much!

Hi!

I would love to find out more about GSA! Were you an international student? How was that like? What is it like to live in Glasgow? Did you graduate with ridiculous amount of debt? What major were you? Do you have any experience with the Communication Design Department? How hard is it to get it? How many people are in the program? If you are familiar with ComDes, is the school aim towards more commercial or academia aproach in educating their students? There are just some questions I have, please feel free to elaborate!

Thanks so much!

Hi JoJoYang.

Yes, I was an international student. I graduated from the BA (Hons) Fine Art in Sculpture and Environmental Art--the UK's equivalent to a BFA. 

I don't have experience studying Communication Design, however, I did have friends in that department. From what I gather, it was more service industry and less technical.

Glasgow as a city is an amazing place to be an artist, however, in all honestly, I am not sure I would recommend studying design there. Something to consider--perhaps as a designer--is the likelihood of job placement post-degree. I know a lot of designers eventually moved down to London, because the jobs are not there. And yet, the art community is small, growing and quite strong. Glasgow has an incredible energy for production, however, the departments are stretched because of finances.

MFA Fine Art applicants, I really recommend looking further into your resources as students, faculty involvement etc. 

Yes, I had less student debt than if I were to get the same degree in the US (I received a US BA degree prior to), however, my access to things as a student felt compromised. Glasgow's strength lies in its DIY scene and its reputation which it has maintained despite some strain. You really have to be quite strategic in order to figure out how to stay, visa wise, post degree. The loss of community in the inevitable return stateside, perhaps, is the biggest compromise you make as a US citizen studying abroad.

hey I just got off the phone with SMFA to make sure they got my transcript and I also asked about the interview  day.  I mentioned that I saw on their FAQs that they may want to review original work and asked how much to bring... they informed me that they would like to see the images on a laptop or tablet so I'm going to use an iPad.  My computer is not in the best condition at the moment.  

thank goodness this interview doesn't require physical work, that would be insane.  I thought that was a bit strange! 

Thanks for sharing. I was worried I would need to lug work across the country. Images are good. 

Hi JoJoYang.

Yes, I was an international student. I graduated from the BA (Hons) Fine Art in Sculpture and Environmental Art--the UK's equivalent to a BFA. 

I don't have experience studying Communication Design, however, I did have friends in that department. From what I gather, it was more service industry and less technical.

Glasgow as a city is an amazing place to be an artist, however, in all honestly, I am not sure I would recommend studying design there. Something to consider--perhaps as a designer--is the likelihood of job placement post-degree. I know a lot of designers eventually moved down to London, because the jobs are not there. And yet, the art community is small, growing and quite strong. Glasgow has an incredible energy for production, however, the departments are stretched because of finances.

MFA Fine Art applicants, I really recommend looking further into your resources as students, faculty involvement etc. 

Yes, I had less student debt than if I were to get the same degree in the US (I received a US BA degree prior to), however, my access to things as a student felt compromised. Glasgow's strength lies in its DIY scene and its reputation which it has maintained despite some strain. You really have to be quite strategic in order to figure out how to stay, visa wise, post degree. The loss of community in the inevitable return stateside, perhaps, is the biggest compromise you make as a US citizen studying abroad.

Hi things_x2,

Great to hear from someone who studied at GSA! Like JoJoYang, I've also been very curious about their M.Des. Communication Design programme. I just got an acceptance yesterday!

I understand that you were in a different programme, but what did you think about the course work in general, and student satisfaction and growth? For me this is really the most important aspect.

JoJoYang - were you asked to respond (decline /  accept + pay deposit) within two weeks of receiving your offer? I feel that this is really too little time, especially when I'm looking at funding options and also considering other programmes.

Just got an skype interview request from Syracuse!!! Surprising that they responded so soon

Hi!Did you complete this interview? I got an interview request in Feb 17 and will Skype in Feb 21. Could you give me some advices?Thanks!

It is far too quiet here on my end.... Just SFAI skype interview this week -  Not sure about a cross country move however and concerned about accidentally conveying that. I would very much love to hear from the rest of my schools!

It cannot be next Monday fast enough. Is there anyone from here going to the UO grad review day thing next week? If anyone else is, there is also a folklore lecture the day before on the Malawi people. Come see neat lecture!

I took the entire week off from work to spend time out west. I hear there are areas of the world that aren't covered in snow. I don't believe that can be true. Next Sunday's forecast is another 12 inches for my area of NY, day before my flight out. New England doesn't want me to escape.

What are the comparative costs of either scenario including making changes? It could be worth it to bunch them even with the extra charge.

Seems to be running about 350-450 with the difference only being the change fee.  i might be worth the 100 to interview earlier if i get a response faster. 

Yellow Magnet-

Seems like you would save money and time visiting both in the same weekend, but maybe feel a bit rushed as well

And Congrats everyone...

Thanks Ismewilde, I hate being rushed. I think if they are willing to do my interview in person on March 3rd instead of the 28th of Feb I could handle that.  Else if I try to interview on the 28th, then take a direct flight from Detroit from Chicago the only evening flight gets me in late enough the night before my interview that I wouldn't wind down to get fully rested for my next day.  I already know how grumpy I am without a good night's sleep. 

I got an interview with Cranbrook (hopefully in March). Has anyone had any interviews yet? What should I expect? I'm super nervous.

Itsyours313, are you interviewing on the 28th of march? From the sounds of the email, it seems pretty casual. 

Seems to be running about 350-450 with the difference only being the change fee.  i might be worth the 100 to interview earlier if i get a response faster. 

Thanks Ismewilde, I hate being rushed. I think if they are willing to do my interview in person on March 3rd instead of the 28th of Feb I could handle that.  Else if I try to interview on the 28th, then take a direct flight from Detroit from Chicago the only evening flight gets me in late enough the night before my interview that I wouldn't wind down to get fully rested for my next day.  I already know how grumpy I am without a good night's sleep. 

Itsyours313, are you interviewing on the 28th of march? From the sounds of the email, it seems pretty casual. 

Yellow Magnet, I requested to interview on March 28th but they haven't emailed me back yet. It does seem pretty causal but I've never gone on a grad school interview so I'm pretty nervous.... I wish I knew how many people they are interviewing.