MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Congrats on your interview at RCA!

I received an email from Goldsmiths at the beginning of February saying they would send out interview invitations at the end of the month. They said their interview dates were between March 17-28 and that you should take this into account if you are planning a holiday. I applied for the MFA in Fine Art and not Curation so I'm not sure if there is a difference. But I also got the same email in December so who know. I'm anxiously waiting to hear back from them! 

thanks! strange, somehow i was under the impression goldsmiths didn't do interviews. their application was by far the most simple (no proposal or critique necessary) and it seemed interviews were for people who wanted the 1 year program as opposed to 2 year. anyways, my RCA interview is the 6th of march so if goldsmiths wants to conduct one later that month it'll have to be over the phone because i won't be flying back and forth twice.. haha

Not on the list for top candidates. Great to know just before spending a lot of money to travel and miss work.  :(

how did you find this out?

im going down this week and Id be curious to know, Ill still go but its good to have a heads up

Nor have I, just getting more anxious as we all get closer to the finish line.  Thanks for replying so promptly and good luck!

No problem. Hopefully, you will hear something soon enough. I see you applied to USC and Hunter. So did I. Hunter notifies prospective applicants in March, right?

Have been invited for Skype interview at yale on the 26th feb, . Am curious to find out about yale sculpture, anyone with first hand info? Any concerns anyone wants to share about yale sculpture program? Does any one know, if yale has funding for international students?

Is anyone else having post-interview crisis?

I woke up today and realized.. there is no further faculty, program or student research. I don't have to look up interview questions, or ask around. Until I hear back from the two programs I applied to (and interviewed with), I'm just waiting. Today is a lot tougher than I thought. 

No problem. Hopefully, you will hear something soon enough. I see you applied to USC and Hunter. So did I. Hunter notifies prospective applicants in March, right?

From what I've seen in last years forum, yes.  it seems most applicants received interview requests March 1st - but even that varies department to department.

How weird, my RISD application link no longer has my email address on record. Just over a week ago, I was able to check my application status, but now I can't. Anyone else had this? 

How weird, my RISD application link no longer has my email address on record. Just over a week ago, I was able to check my application status, but now I can't. Anyone else had this? 

That's odd, try contacting them? I just went to log in and was able to...

Welcome Ellephoto! Its so great when lurkers come out of the shadows!  thanks for joining us in this crazy journey and best of luck to you as well.

Thanks! I see that you're interviewing with Cranbrook also. Congrats! I see that a bunch of people have heard back from the UC's but no word from UCLA...

I feel for those of you who haven't heard anything thus far, but don't forget that many schools will not be making decisions until March, late March, and some won't even decide until early April. If you know that your school has already made a decision in your department (or possibly has) then try to make some contact and see what you can find out. 

I've been creeping on this blog silently.. but now I feel like I might be able to share some usefulness with others, like you all have with me :) 

Has anyone heard from Iowa, good or bad?  Looks like last year the acceptances for phone calls in early February.

I'm waiting on Iowa as well and I've not heard anything! So hopefully it'll be right around the corner! 

I've had an interview with Portland State, Got accepted to University of Houston and waiting on Ohio State, Iowa and Portland State.  

I'm telling myself I'll hear everything within the next 3 weeks or so, but that's not based in anything scientific so really I'm just telling myself that. Ha. And if things don't work out remember that these programs are looking for something and sometimes a rejection just means your work wouldn't have matured well, and it's really best for you as an artist! (helps me to think that way) Good luck guys!

Hey Kelly,

That isn't sounding good. What do you mean? Did you have some more communication with them?

I'm sorry! :(

How did they tell you?

I had sent a follow up message since I'm going to be in state for a week. Im not in the pile of people to be offered acceptances but not sure if rejected or waitlisted. Most likely bad news though. Still no word yet from the other department I applied to so, there is hope but its a pretty weak hope for me this year. 

So putting all eggs in one basket plan is super bad. Lesson learned. 

I just had my Skype interview with the co-chair of the MFA Design program at SVA! And halfway through the skype call, I developed this random tick and kept shaking my leg! Thank god it was hidden under the table. I think I realized and stopped what I was doing only a good 5 minutes after. God. The nervousness.

It was like a conversation, though - no grilling involved. Lita was really friendly, and she kept smiling :)  She asked me about my reasons for applying, the kind of practice I want to be in, my strengths and weaknesses as a designer, my ideas for the final thesis (basically my interests at this point), as well as what I believe I would contribute to the small class of 20. It was a good 40 minutes, and she gave me a lot of background about the course/ curriculum. She told me that SVA receives over 250 applications, and since they're choosing only 20, its really important for them to make sure that they believe in the student and his/her potential. So, of course, the interview is really important. She was also taking notes intermittently.

SVA lets applicants know by early April. That's over a month of waiting - aaaaaaaaah.

Phew, one down, three more to go. Oh well, if nothing else I guess I'll be better prepared for the following interviews - though from what I read here, no two are alike. 

Columbia University interview request, got a call from Gregory Amenoff chair of the visual arts department. So if you get a call from a 917 number, answer it : )

After 4 rejections I had little hope for the remaining two. Good luck to everyone!

I know from speaking to some Americans who did the MFA in edinburgh they were surprised and in some cases very upset by how hands off tutoring is but that's just how art education is in the UK, for undergrad and postgrad. There isn't lots of classes it's mostly self directed. You probably already know all that and maybe that's what attracted you in the first place but just a heads up.

Where else are you applying to?

Interesting. I had a sense of this, but didn't realize the difference was quite so dramatic.

My other schools are in my signature.

also, what have you guys heard from Goldsmiths? back in december i received an email saying decisions would be made in january and i have yet to receive any news. seems rather odd.

cheers

Don't know if the curating program is on the same timeline, but I just heard from the MFA program for an interview.

Very similar experience! Did you interview with Luca Buvoli for MICA? Were you in person or skype? My temple interview was with 8 people and very critique like. They even said that at the end that the Tyler critique environment is similar to what I had just experienced. I had 14 pages of preparatory notes for these interviews! I still was caught off guard by a couple questions. No idea how my interviews are going. I'm trying to stop myself from obsessing. askjdddd

I'm confused about Penn. I assumed I was rejected because I didn't get a request for  interview but I got an email the other day telling me to fill out my fafsa on time. Do they conduct interviews for all finalists? Which program did you apply to?

Yeah, with Luca. I went in person, so if anyone has any questions about the space I may be able to answer. I'd visited two years ago, but it was so different I didn't recognize it -- all renovated and new and shiny. The students I met on the tour all seemed really happy with the program.

14 pages of notes! Wow.

Penn: I just applied to the overall fine arts MFA. I know Mount Royal was interviewing about 45 people for 15 slots, but I forgot to ask for any of that type of information from Penn. You might try calling.

Columbia University interview request, got a call from Gregory Amenoff chair of the visual arts department. So if you get a call from a 917 number, answer it : )

After 4 rejections I had little hope for the remaining two. Good luck to everyone!

That's great news, congratulations!

Hopefully requests will start pouring in for everyone else who is waiting.

Waiting on Iowa also, different program but still no word. Good luck!

I've been creeping on this blog silently.. but now I feel like I might be able to share some usefulness with others, like you all have with me :)

I'm waiting on Iowa as well and I've not heard anything! So hopefully it'll be right around the corner! 

I've had an interview with Portland State, Got accepted to University of Houston and waiting on Ohio State, Iowa and Portland State.  

I'm telling myself I'll hear everything within the next 3 weeks or so, but that's not based in anything scientific so really I'm just telling myself that. Ha. And if things don't work out remember that these programs are looking for something and sometimes a rejection just means your work wouldn't have matured well, and it's really best for you as an artist! (helps me to think that way) Good luck guys!

Just talked to a friend currently at Iowa.  It was only briefly, but he said they narrow it down to about a dozen applicants then narrow even further by talking to current grad students and then vote.  From the way he talked it sounded like he hadn't seen any portfolios yet, but like I said it was brief as he had to run to class. 

Hope this is helpful.