MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Hey Shaoceptual,

I applied to University of Washington Seattle/Photomedia. Did you have an interview? I had one a month ago and still now word.

I am a senior Photomedia BFA student and doing my last quarter here. 

Pause - Just looked at the "Results Search" and someone has listed, "Beauxbatons Academy of Magic - Masters in Poitions, Waitlisted"

I'm dying laughing right now, made my day whoever listed that. 

The wait listed put it over the edge, good form whoever thought that one up. 

Hi Bobbie,

I am not sure how my interview went. The chances are really slim as they take only 6 students.

And the questions they asked were mostly related to my resume, portfolio and Statement of purpose. Few of the questions were like

Why mfa now?

Why vcuarts?

What do you want to do after mfa?

Who is your inspiration in design or which design style do you follow the most?

They also asked a few questions about design scene in my country.

And then there were follow up questions to the answers that I gave.

And finally they asked if I had any questions for them. I am very nervous as it is on the top of my list also.

Forgot to mention I was told directly by a prof on adcom & in the program via email: "We generally take between 4 - 10 students each fall..." So, may not be as low as 6, may be less. Okay, so this wasn't very helpful but thought I'd mention it :)

I am a senior Photomedia BFA student and doing my last quarter here. 

Oh cool How Is UW's Photo program? Good facilities and faculty? I interviewed with Rebecca Cummins, she seemed really cool.

ugh. no hunter call. how disappointing. this is my first year applying, i dont know if i can do this again. 

Bathtub, don't get down. This is a process.

Honestly, we all need to remember this. The art world is full of rejections and this is just the start. The key is to keep on keeping on.

I wanted to get into Yale sculpture so badly and did not get an interview. I will reapply next year unless UCLA/USC/Hunter pans out (to be honest, I foresee myself revisiting this experience next year). I was very austere in my selection: Yale, Columbia, Hunter, UCLA and USC.

I look forward to a more confident portfolio application next year. Another opportunity to keep on working.

Oh cool How Is UW's Photo program? Good facilities and faculty? I interviewed with Rebecca Cummins, she seemed really cool.

People here are extremely nice. You would feel like a family here but at the same time, critique might be too polite sometimes not sure you like it that way or not. I actually just got off class wth her. It's a really progressive program and Rebecca and Ellen are my mentors that I couldn't say enough good things about them. For facility: 1st yr three grads share a big studio and 2nd year each grad has own studio. Darkroom and photo media lounge(printers, scanners, mac pros and sofa) are pretty much 24/7 for grads and monitors. Michael Van Horn is our respectable technician, who really cares about your prints and he is an amazing artist too. We also have a tight relationship with DXarts program which dealing with mechatronics, sound/video processing and 3D stuffs. Ok enough good things but I really have a wonderful BFA experience here. The only bad thing I would say, it's the weather in Seattle area. From October to early March, more than 50% days are wet or cloudy but everybody has a preference (romantic or mysterious in rainy nights?)

Pause - Just looked at the "Results Search" and someone has listed, "Beauxbatons Academy of Magic - Masters in Poitions, Waitlisted"

I'm dying laughing right now, made my day whoever listed that. 

The wait listed put it over the edge, good form whoever thought that one up. 

Damn, my owl never came!  

Bathtub, don't get down. This is a process.

Honestly, we all need to remember this. The art world is full of rejections and this is just the start. The key is to keep on keeping on.

I wanted to get into Yale sculpture so badly and did not get an interview. I will reapply next year unless UCLA/USC/Hunter pans out (to be honest, I foresee myself revisiting this experience next year). I was very austere in my selection: Yale, Columbia, Hunter, UCLA and USC.

I look forward to a more confident portfolio application next year. Another opportunity to keep on working.

Heh, you and I had pretty much the same list. Yale, Columbia, Hunter, USC - then I also applied to CalArts and Tyler. Fingers crossed for USC or CalArts to pull through but I'm pretty sure I'll be applying next year - with a stronger portfolio and more things on my resume. Definitely something to look forward to!

sob. im going to look into taking some kind of classes... just to be around others working....then in a year round this time ill have made such beautiful things with my anger. ha! i think it sucks more for me because im not that young. congrats and good luck to those whove made it. this board has surely made things seem even more arbitrary and strange than i had previously thought. its been especially interesting to see people get bad news and bad news and then some good. thanks to those whove shared.  i kinda want my app fees back....$$$ and to all that positive feedback on portfolio day, pfff

It's not over until it's over! If you haven't heard anything yet, don't give up hope until you've officially heard that you're not in. Maybe the interview requests come out in waves and they just haven't gotten to you yet. Can't know. Every school is different. (Realize I'm also partially saying this to myself, as I too am waiting for news from Hunter.) Plus realize that you're still waitlisted at Alfred, not rejected. There's still a chance that something might pull through for you there! You just have to wait to give other people the time to sort their own options out before you know more definitively one way or the other.

My first time applying to grad schools four years ago I was applying with a different medium (ceramics) and only applied to three schools. I was straight up denied to all three and felt completely crushed. But in that time my work has completely developed and changed, my skills have improved, I've had one residency, and I've traveled all over the world and gotten some work experience. Time can be a seriously valuable thing. In a conversation with the director of the Visual and Critical Studies program at CCA that I had last night she told me, "Part of what we were so impressed with in your application was really your knowledge and ability to just get the hell out of Dodge." If you end up not getting into a program this year, travel the world, integrate what you see and experience into your art, and let yourself grow. Go to art shows in every variety of places that you possibly can and see how expression changes from place to place to place, and figure out how that fits into who you are, what you create, and who you want to be.

Then again, maybe you won't need to. Because you've still got a chance.

I've been really obsessed over the forum and I even read the dates people received their notifications form Hunter last year. The ones that were interviewed got the email the same day ( March 1st, all disciplines) and the ones rejected got it 5 days later. If I assume that they got a little ahead of pace this year and they notified people today ( and from what people have written they got notifications for all disciplines as well) .. that means that, if they are doing the same this time, those of us who didn't get the interview email are probably out of Hunter. :(

I think the hardest thing about this is just having so many expectations and then being crushed onto the floor. I had made a lot of plans (including following my long time bf to NY) and I'll have to postpone everything because my application just wasn't that strong. It hurts. A lot.

On the other hand, you're right. The wost thing one can do is become too depressed. I feel I have to focus on my work in order to build a stronger portfolio. Next year, I'll make sure to apply to many more schools with a better portfolio.

Yes, I believe so.

Oh wait. So does it not mean that the selection has not been narrowed down for Hunter in the interview process--that literally every applicant receives an interview as part of their application?

Heh, you and I had pretty much the same list. Yale, Columbia, Hunter, USC - then I also applied to CalArts and Tyler. Fingers crossed for USC or CalArts to pull through but I'm pretty sure I'll be applying next year - with a stronger portfolio and more things on my resume. Definitely something to look forward to!

Are you going to the CalArts interview?

And yes, ha we did. I almost applied to Tyler and CalArts but I then thought against both. Funny world.

Next year I will apply to Bard--strong program--I was just unsure of the low-res thing, plus, I know they are incredibly selective. Now that I have taken on a full-time work that I am proud to keep, the Bard situation is increasing in its appeal.

Edited by things_x2

Oh wait. So does it not mean that the selection has not been narrowed down for Hunter in the interview process--that literally every applicant receives an interview as part of their application?

No, the selection has been narrowed.  Presumably if you did not get an interview than you are not being considered.

People here are extremely nice. You would feel like a family here but at the same time, critique might be too polite sometimes not sure you like it that way or not. I actually just got off class wth her. It's a really progressive program and Rebecca and Ellen are my mentors that I couldn't say enough good things about them. For facility: 1st yr three grads share a big studio and 2nd year each grad has own studio. Darkroom and photo media lounge(printers, scanners, mac pros and sofa) are pretty much 24/7 for grads and monitors. Michael Van Horn is our respectable technician, who really cares about your prints and he is an amazing artist too. We also have a tight relationship with DXarts program which dealing with mechatronics, sound/video processing and 3D stuffs. Ok enough good things but I really have a wonderful BFA experience here. The only bad thing I would say, it's the weather in Seattle area. From October to early March, more than 50% days are wet or cloudy but everybody has a preference (romantic or mysterious in rainy nights?)

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. Where all are you applying too? Did you get any acceptance notices yet??

Are you going to the CalArts interview?

And yes, ha we did. I almost applied to Tyler and CalArts but I then thought against both. Funny world.

Next year I will apply to Bard--strong program--I was just unsure of the low-res thing, plus, I know they are incredibly selective. Now that I have taken on a full-time work that I am proud to keep, the Bard situation is increasing in its appeal.

Haven't heard back from CalArts yet -  spoke to someone in Admissions, and they said they've finished one round of reviews but that if I have yet to hear from them, it means I'm in the second round...and that they would send word as to interview/rejection as soon as the reviews were done. So, I hope that's accurate. Given how tiny USC is, CalArts is my last chance this year. I thought about Bard, too, but I'm still not sure if the low-res thing is appealing to me yet.

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. Where all are you applying too? Did you get any acceptance notices yet??

I applied to tons of places since I am afraid end up having nothing. Current situation:

Rejected: CMU. Yale

Interviewed: SFAI. CCA. UCLA.

Will interview: ICP-Bard. CalArts. SAIC

Wait: RISD. Columbia U

I applied to tons of places since I am afraid end up having nothing. Current situation:

Rejected: CMU. Yale

Interviewed: SFAI. CCA. UCLA.

Will interview: ICP-Bard. CalArts. SAIC

Wait: RISD. Columbia U

Shaoceptual,

When/how did you hear back from Columbia and UCLA? Waiting, waiting on reply and also in photo.

Shaoceptual,

When/how did you hear back from Columbia and UCLA? Waiting, waiting on reply and also in photo.

I was called like 10days ago from Catherine Opie. No hear back from Columbia and RISD so I am waiting

Hello beautiful future MFA students, 

I too am awaiting news from my schools and this forum has been a nice thing to ghost through for a good idea of what has been going on in some of the schools I have heard, unfortunately, nothing from.

I am posting because I'm currently finishing my undergrad at Kent State and I have been informed that right now they have received no suitable candidates for their printmaking grad spot.  They have a full assistantship open and want to give it to someone! The community here is awesome and due to the recent retirement of an awesome, but stuck in the past professor who was the head of the department major changes are taking place.  Starting potentially in the fall of 2014 (though likely after winter break) you would have access to a completely new printmaking facility and shortly after a whole new arts facility as well.  Kent State has a strong first fridays visiting artist program and really awesome opportunities in the summer with their Blossom Arts program in almost every concentration, where they bring in artists from around the world to teach for two weeks.  Additionally Kent State has a nice set of galleries, is 20 minutes from Akron and the Akron Art Museum and is about an hour away from Cleveland which houses an amazing and ever growing art community.  Two presses in Cleveland (Zygote Press and Black Balloon Editions) were founded by Kent alumni and while BBE is only a few months old Zygote has multiple opportunities for Kent State students every year.  

I feel like an advertisement now :[ But I just thought some of my fellow printmakers might like the knowledge that a spot in a nice place with an assistantship is OPEN and they have extended their deadline!! 

I just spoke with people at Central Saint Martins and they suggested to apply also to MA Fine Art at Chelsea College of Arts. Any info about that program?