MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

Hello beautiful future MFA students, 

I too am awaiting news from my schools and this forum has been a nice thing to ghost through for a good idea of what has been going on in some of the schools I have heard, unfortunately, nothing from.

I am posting because I'm currently finishing my undergrad at Kent State and I have been informed that right now they have received no suitable candidates for their printmaking grad spot.  They have a full assistantship open and want to give it to someone! The community here is awesome and due to the recent retirement of an awesome, but stuck in the past professor who was the head of the department major changes are taking place.  Starting potentially in the fall of 2014 (though likely after winter break) you would have access to a completely new printmaking facility and shortly after a whole new arts facility as well.  Kent State has a strong first fridays visiting artist program and really awesome opportunities in the summer with their Blossom Arts program in almost every concentration, where they bring in artists from around the world to teach for two weeks.  Additionally Kent State has a nice set of galleries, is 20 minutes from Akron and the Akron Art Museum and is about an hour away from Cleveland which houses an amazing and ever growing art community.  Two presses in Cleveland (Zygote Press and Black Balloon Editions) were founded by Kent alumni and while BBE is only a few months old Zygote has multiple opportunities for Kent State students every year.  

I feel like an advertisement now :[ But I just thought some of my fellow printmakers might like the knowledge that a spot in a nice place with an assistantship is OPEN and they have extended their deadline!! 

That's really good of you to post that here, belchert. Thanks for the info!

I just spoke with people at Central Saint Martins and they suggested to apply also to MA Fine Art at Chelsea College of Arts. Any info about that program?

Very reputable. Some great artists went there: Patrick Caulfield, David Hockney, Richard Deacon, Anish Kapoor, Gavin Turk, Steve McQueen, Gillian Wearing...

An update for any of you that have noticed your VCU app status "complete and ready for review" has now been removed and no app status is listed... I called the number for the grad school and they told me this means that a decision has been rendered, but the online system doesn't say what that decision is. She said once the decision has been rendered, applicants will be notified via USPS mail within one week to a week and a half. 

Hope this helps anyone that was questioning this change.

thanks BLR! Did you notice any change in the 'program' field?

Yeah, it almost seems different. Here's a screenshot of what I have. I don't remember the "Current Program" info being on there and the "App Status" line is completely gone.

I'm really not hopeful considering she said decisions are sent via USPS. If you look at the results submissions, almost all acceptances are done via email. I'm bummed. That's an understatement of course.

vcu.jpg

Anyone? Interview in 6 hours!

Hey Bhavika! Yeah, I think there are some threads about the graphic design interview in the forum. I had my interview yesterday, and I'm in India so it was later in the night for me (giving me a lot of time to freak out). My advice would be to try as hard as possible to not get too anxious because the interviews so far (mine and whatever I gleaned from older threads) are not so much a series of fixed/predictable questions (other than knowing your influences in contemporary art/design) but more about you talking about your work and the faculty asking questions based on your answer, making the conversation go further. It would help to know where your work falls in realm of current art/design, influences, subjects you think about, going over things/topics related to your work that make you uncomfortable, why they do that, how you'll address them without sounding defensive...I think that's the worst thing, to sound too defensive...things like that. Good luck!!

I'm trying to get into the VCU website to check my status and now they have some kind of server error going on...with the entire site. Doesn't work on my computer or my smartphone. Jesus!

I just tried it and I'm in, so apparently it's fixed.

Thanks llife00 & Coreythegiraffe. Did you notice if either of yours had the info like mine about "Current Program?" I don't remember there being there before when my app status was "complete & ready for review."

Mine says masters of fine arts

Anyone who applied to Boston University, I just got an email rejection. (Kinda relieved, I couldn't afford to live in Boston anyway!) 

Still waiting to hear from UC Boulder and Rutgers… Has anybody out there heard anything?

I was called like 10days ago from Catherine Opie. No hear back from Columbia and RISD so I am waiting

Oh... I was confused by the wait in your signature. I thought it meant wait-listed. So cool you got contacted by Catherine Opie. That's the best part of this process, getting to speak with people who blow your mind artistically. 

I heard a great quote today, "Those who are certain of the outcome can afford to wait, and wait without anxiety."

I feel like confidence is its own reward so I'm just certain that wherever I end up being accepted is exactly where I need to be.

Oh... I was confused by the wait in your signature. I thought it meant wait-listed. So cool you got contacted by Catherine Opie. That's the best part of this process, getting to speak with people who blow your mind artistically. 

I heard a great quote today, "Those who are certain of the outcome can afford to wait, and wait without anxiety."

I feel like confidence is its own reward so I'm just certain that wherever I end up being accepted is exactly where I need to be.

Thank you for that quote. I really needed it today.

Anyone who applied to Boston University, I just got an email rejection. (Kinda relieved, I couldn't afford to live in Boston anyway!) 

Still waiting to hear from UC Boulder and Rutgers… Has anybody out there heard anything?

Waiting on UC - Boulder for Ceramics, no word either. I'll keep my ear to the ground!

I noticed that a couple of people have heard back from UCSB...I saw one acceptance and one rejection. Can anyone elaborate on when/how they heard back? I haven't heard anything from any of the California schools that I applied to...

As far as I can tell they have not contacted anyone on this board for photography yet.

Not sure if that is too much wishful thinking.

Either way I am in the same boat at you.

Waiting on UC - Boulder for Ceramics, no word either. I'll keep my ear to the ground!

Nothing from your program (sorry), but as a Colorado native I have a moral obligation to make a correction here: it's CU, not UC. UC schools are California. And Boulder is implied. You'd only add the city onto the end of CU if you're going to their programs in Denver (CU Denver) or Colorado Springs (which isn't even CU Colorado Springs, it's CUCS).

Sorry. Just. Had to. Plus if you end up with an interview it's good knowledge to have!!

Go Buffs! And best of luck with the ceramics program there. It's really good.