MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

The importance of contacts and reputation is vastly inflated.

I dunno, I think if you are going to stay in the area after graduation, knowing people helps immensely, at least for a while. You'll still need to build some momentum with your work but I know that even in undergrad prof saying nice things to curators gets you group shows and that it's easier when people recognize people and places on your cv because they are locally well known even if not nationally.

So I wouldn't say it's the end all be all, but it's worth taking it into consideration. But only if you're at a place where you actually have the chance to have faculty contact. If it's big names but you can never get in to see them, doesn't matter!

Accepted to SMFA in Boston!!!!!!!!!!! 14,000/year merit scholarship!

SO HAPPY. DYING. 

anyone else hear from SMFA?  Anyone know what the whole 10,000 grant average per MFA student thing is!!!? is that going to be in addition to scholarships!?

Congratulations!!!

The importance of contacts and reputation is vastly inflated. 

It is if you are vastly inflating my comment to be disproportionate to its intention.

Blanket statements are just that- full of nothing helpful. Which is why I said to carefully weigh the options. I wasn't saying to just choose star faculty or prestige, but to weigh out what they all have to offer.

There are a lot of things to consider and the choice isn't as black and white as "go where the money is".

That doesn't mean go to a top school expecting it to be your ticket.

Hi y'all, I've been following the forum for a while, and thought I'd say hi. I attended CalArts MFA interview last week, and was wondering if anyone has heard back from admissions. I saw on the Grad Cafe Survey that someone was accepted to the Photo and related media program via the website. Is the website the application one, or the VIP cal arts page? Any news about CalArts MFA would be great.

Thanks!

Which major?

Hi y'all, I've been following the forum for a while, and thought I'd say hi. I attended CalArts MFA interview last week, and was wondering if anyone has heard back from admissions. I saw on the Grad Cafe Survey that someone was accepted to the Photo and related media program via the website. Is the website the application one, or the VIP cal arts page? Any news about CalArts MFA would be great.

Thanks!

Can you please share your interview information with me? Thanks very much. Btw you are applying for media documentary, right?

I just received an interview request from Northwestern for March 17th!  It will be conducted on Skype with the Admissions Comitttee.  Hopefully, everything will go smoothly!

Thanks!

https://calarts.askadmissions.net/vip/

My result was out last Saturday.

Good luc! 

Phone interviews can be good, you can have bullet points beside you and they can't visually see the nerves!

I decided to start with "why I wanted to go to GSA" and I think there was a bit of bad cop/good cop going on as one said sharply "really? You're gonna start there?!". I tried to laugh it off and continue.

Best of luck!

Hey Echo, I just got an e-mail from GSA offering me admission. I would check your e-mail if you haven't already!

for upenn dudes - i got an email from them that got sent to my spam saying theyve incresed their funding packages incase anyone missed it. It pretty much doubled (10,500) - but is still kinda insignificant in the grand scheme of private education

Congrats! I was accepted for painting. I talked with Gregory Amenoff, he said we'll be contacted by the financial aid peeps soon.

Talked with a first year grad in the program about funding, said that most get some type of scholarships/fellowship/work study, cutting the tuition in half... But who knows if any of this is accurate.

cutting the tuition to half? I need a full ride else…..

I'm leaning towards either SAIC, CCA, or SFAI.  SFAI offered me funding which would be really hard to turn down, but SAIC is ranked so high and has such amazing facilities.  I haven't heard about funding yet from SAIC and CCA, so I'll make my decision after that probably.  I've applied before and didn't get in anywhere.   Before I probably would have taken any school that offered funding, but I really do think the faculty and network you build at a top ranked school is worth something.

Nice I hope it works out well! I was rejected to UC Berk after all :( It is such a mysterious program but was hoping for it anyways. I went to CCA for undergrad and enjoyed it, but dont want another private school degree... Best to you. XOXO!

I might be crazy for doing this….If anyone out there is on the wait list for Arts Admin and Policy at SAIC, I just declined their acceptance and 25% scholarship. Even with that assistance, I would need to pull out 30K a year in loans. I'm already in art administration, so that offer was not alluring enough for me. 

I'm going to just focus on my MFA for now because I was nominated for the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Graduate Arts Fellowship and I realized that it doesn't fund Arts Administration only fine arts. womp womp.

Anyone else in here up for the JKCF?  I wasn't sure if it would be worth it starting another thread in the Bank Forum or here in the Fine Arts forum.