MFA 2014 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

kafralal

I might be crazy for doing this….If anyone out there is on the wait list for Arts Admin and Policy at SAIC, I just declined their acceptance and 25% scholarship. Even with that assistance, I would need to pull out 30K a year in loans. I'm already in art administration, so that offer was not alluring enough for me. 

I'm going to just focus on my MFA for now because I was nominated for the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Graduate Arts Fellowship and I realized that it doesn't fund Arts Administration only fine arts. womp womp.

Anyone else in here up for the JKCF?  I wasn't sure if it would be worth it starting another thread in the Bank Forum or here in the Fine Arts forum.  

Congrats! That is great news!

I considered asking a faculty member to get involved in this back in the fall, but ended up dropping the ball. Good luck!

Haven't heard a peep from USC. I went to their open studios a month or so ago. The students work was VERY conceptual. Admissions is obviously looking for quite a specific applicant to accept. I'm curious to know who will make the cut!

Anyone hear concretely from USC or UCI yet?

Sometimes lurking, first time posting, but now seems to be the perfect time to join in on this conversation, mostly so that I can calm my own restless mind.

Just heard back from Parsons today, accepted into Design & Technology with a 35% scholarship! Heard back from SVA earlier, accepted into Computer Art but no word of financial aid (yet? or just none.).

The rundown on my list:

Parsons - Accepted

SVA - Accepted

USC - Waitlisted

CalArts - Waitlisted

Pratt - ?

NYU - ?

RISD - ?

(I guess I'll do the conventional thing and make that into a signature line later.)

What I thought was weird is, none of the schools requested an interview. Maybe different departments just have different procedures about interviewing.

And on another note, has anyone who has heard from SVA gotten word of financial aid?

Nice I hope it works out well! I was rejected to UC Berk after all :( It is such a mysterious program but was hoping for it anyways. I went to CCA for undergrad and enjoyed it, but dont want another private school degree... Best to you. XOXO!

I was rejected there as well.  Yes CCA seems like a great school.  How many schools did you apply to this year?  Did you get in anywhere you hoped?  I didn't get in anywhere the first year I applied and only applied to 3 schools.  This year I applied to 11 and got into 6. I'm so glad I decided to keep trying. Did alot of things differntly this time.  And applying to more was the best thing I did.  Everywhere is just so hard to get into.  Even the not so great programs have a 2% acceptance rate because the programs are so small!  Good luck with everything.

Which CalArts program did you apply for & when did you find out you were wait listed? I'm anxious about my status. Did an MFA photo interview on campus last Thursday but haven't heard anything yet...

Sometimes lurking, first time posting, but now seems to be the perfect time to join in on this conversation, mostly so that I can calm my own restless mind.

Just heard back from Parsons today, accepted into Design & Technology with a 35% scholarship! Heard back from SVA earlier, accepted into Computer Art but no word of financial aid (yet? or just none.).

The rundown on my list:

Parsons - Accepted

SVA - Accepted

USC - Waitlisted

CalArts - Waitlisted

Pratt - ?

NYU - ?

RISD - ?

(I guess I'll do the conventional thing and make that into a signature line later.)

What I thought was weird is, none of the schools requested an interview. Maybe different departments just have different procedures about interviewing.

And on another note, has anyone who has heard from SVA gotten word of financial aid?

Did you apply to Photo? Would you mind sharing your result?

Sure. I did my interview with Andrew Freeman last Thursday and my status was changed to accepted on Saturday morning. 

That's exciting. Congratulations. I loved the campus & current students. I have my fingers crossed, thanks!

Sure. I did my interview with Andrew Freeman last Thursday and my status was changed to accepted on Saturday morning.

Which CalArts program did you apply for & when did you find out you were wait listed? I'm anxious about my status. Did an MFA photo interview on campus last Thursday but haven't heard anything yet...

I applied to experimental animation. They notified me of my decision on March 12th. I'm sure it'll be any moment now. Good luck!!

I interviewed with MassArt for photo about 2 weeks ago, and my status on my application went from "Interview" to "Reviewed"...I wonder if that's good or bad...has anyone who has interviewed with MassArt found out anything yet?

I did a skype interview a couple of weeks ago for the sculpture program. And just got my acceptance letter in the mail YESTERDAY. So hang in there. Whatever the decision it's headed your way.

Has anyone heard back from RCA post-interview? or has any idea when to expect an answer and how?

Do they email or is it a phone call usually?

The anticipation is killing me and I lost my phone last week so have a new number now but I am guessing they will email too.

Has anyone heard back from RCA post-interview? or has any idea when to expect an answer and how?

Do they email or is it a phone call usually?

The anticipation is killing me and I lost my phone last week so have a new number now but I am guessing they will email too.

Pretty sure my friend who got in last year got a email. It's not common to get calls here in the UK.

I got told by GSA they would send emails/letters out this week regarding the result of the interviews. Thought the fact they said emails AND letters odd but maybe uk based people will let letters in the post but they're emailing international/eu applicants. At least I hope so! No news for me yet!!

Can you please share your interview information with me? Thanks very much. Btw you are applying for media documentary, right?

Hi Sissiiiiii,

Just sent you a message!

Edited by Mauve23

The rundown on my list:

Parsons - Accepted

SVA - Accepted

USC - Waitlisted

CalArts - Waitlisted

Pratt - ?

NYU - ?

RISD - ?

Congrats on your acceptances gbunny.

How did USC notify you that you were on the waitlist? You didn't have an interview with them at all?

Thanks Bunny. Waiting is the worst! Other folks have been getting notifications, I'm trying to do yoga to calm my nerves. Congrats on your acceptances!

I applied to experimental animation. They notified me of my decision on March 12th. I'm sure it'll be any moment now. Good luck!!

Has anyone who interviewed at Bard heard back yet? I saw a sound acceptance on the results page....

Yes, I heard back from film/video.  I'm not sure what department you're applying for though- I'm sure it varies very much by discipline. good luck! Also, where is the results page that people are looking at? 

I did a skype interview a couple of weeks ago for the sculpture program. And just got my acceptance letter in the mail YESTERDAY. So hang in there. Whatever the decision it's headed your way.

Thank you!! I keep running to the mailbox like a madwoman with hopes of finding something from them. My status changed last Friday to "Decision Letter Sent" Soooo we'll see! And Congrats :)

Sooo, how would one go about writing a letter declining an offer? How long should it be? 

Congrats! That is great news!

I considered asking a faculty member to get involved in this back in the fall, but ended up dropping the ball. Good luck!

Thanks!  So your deciding between Mills and CMU?  I vote for CMU! (But, i really don't have enough info about Mills to make it a truly educated vote)

Thanks!  So your deciding between Mills and CMU?  I vote for CMU! (But, i really don't have enough info about Mills to make it a truly educated vote)

My only issue is the weather. I can handle cold and snow, but lack of sunshine is very hard on me. I didn't realize that Pittsburgh rivals Seattle in wet and grey weather. Needless to say, I am quite distressed right now.

:(

Still, I am going to visit CMU this weekend and researching sun lamps.

One of the assistant professors of art there emailed me earlier today and it would be amazing to work with him. 

Edited by ismewilde

My only issue is the weather. I can handle cold and snow, but lack of sunshine is very hard on me. I didn't realize that Pittsburgh rivals Seattle in wet and grey weather. Needless to say, I am quite distressed right now.

:(

Still, I am going to visit CMU this weekend and researching sun lamps.

Tell me about it.  All the school that have considered me as a finalist are in the coldest areas of the NE and MidW.  One of the reasons that CCA in San Fran is looking so appealing.  However, I have learned to layer properly and invest in really nice socks.  (SmartWool all the way!)  I am also very sensitive to needing a lot of sunlight, especially since i was born in tropical climates and raised in the south…. So i will be investing in a SAD lamp as well if i do indeed end up North.  Oh!!! and I also take vitamin D supplements in the winter. It really helps a lot.

Remember grad school is only for that 2-3 year time span, but you will have the degree for the rest of your life.

Im a newbie to this site.  I applied to a variety of different schools & have been accepted to Claremont and SMFA. ;)  But there are a few schools I am still waiting on & am worried I wont hear back soon enough before I have to make a decision. 

Like Brooklyn College just sent me an email saying my application has just now been forwarded and I will get a decision in the next 6 weeks?  But Claremont wants me to make a decisions on acceptance within the 3 weeks.

Does anyone have any advice about this? 

Tell me about it.  All the school that have considered me as a finalist are in the coldest areas of the NE and MidW.  One of the reasons that CCA in San Fran is looking so appealing.  However, I have learned to layer properly and invest in really nice socks.  (SmartWool all the way!)  I am also very sensitive to needing a lot of sunlight, especially since i was born in tropical climates and raised in the south…. So i will be investing in a SAD lamp as well if i do indeed end up North.  Oh!!! and I also take vitamin D supplements in the winter. It really helps a lot.

Remember grad school is only for that 2-3 year time span, but you will have the degree for the rest of your life.

Yeah, I keep telling myself that.

So, are you hoping for Cranbrook?

Yeah, I keep telling myself that.

So, are you hoping for Cranbrook?

Yep I think so, because I have really started to give up on SAIC sculpture since I will find out next week via snail mail.  In the end i really just need the time to work and grow AND the paper that says i have an MFA so i can get a job advancement.  I can do without the opportunity to teach or even classroom structures.  I heard the grounds, museum, and tight community are very residency like.  Just the description of 'residency like' is very appealing.  

I'm just worried that because I didn't list Cranbrook on my JKCF award as one of my very top school that they will not consider giving me the fellowship. I emailed the foundation to find out more specifics if this scenario came up.