NSF GRFP 2013-14

guttata

Does everybody see these when they log into fastlane, right click, and click "view page source (and CTRL-F for 'fellow')?"

<!-- <p class="leadtitle">Welcome Fellows</P> -->

<!-- Fellow Stats fixed 170px -->

<!-- END Fellow Stats -->

Mine says the same. Not sure if it means anything.

Does everybody see these when they log into fastlane, right click, and click "view page source (and CTRL-F for 'fellow')?"

mine does. I want to believe...

Mine does, too. Doubt it's anything. I don't really see why they'd change the comments in the html when they update the site.

Edited by olorwen

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's there for everyone. Those are all comments in HTML coding so it is most likely just so the webmonkey putting the page up doesn't have to do more work than copy paste.

It doesn't mean anything. It's just general HTML code that's been commented out. Everyone will be able to see this. 

Wow dude you need to go for a run, or a bike ride; maybe set up a hammock and chill with a good book. Hahahaha....

Patience... Good things come to those who wait (and work hard).

Wow dude you need to go for a run, or a bike ride; maybe set up a hammock and chill with a good book. Hahahaha....

I was just wondering.  I am on a microscope currently, so I can't really do any of those things.

and have a bout of good luck when it comes to reviewers :)

<!--..--> Is a comment tag used to keep track of your code so it doesn't become impossible to deal with it later when you're editing the source code. It's more for the next schmuck who has to edit your website to orient themselves and has nothing to do with status. The website doesn't use any PHP or server code so I would assume that they take the website down, then manually/automatically change the homepage for everybody with their status rather than using a table that has everybody's status separate. Which is probably why they have to take the website down for maintenance. 

It's pretty apparent that it won't be tonight, yet there are still 130+ users viewing this topic.  We are a concerned bunch I would say....haha.  Good luck everyone.

Also, to the person who mentioned cats a few pages ago.....I agree that pets can be the ultimate solution to grad school problems.  For those of you starting grad school next year I would highly recommend you start the year off with some simple pets.

I went to the Pet Store from 8-9:30 to get my mind off of this and came back with new toys for my birds and two new fish.

LOL, All i know if that I have a acceptance notification and you all do not ( besides a select few)

They prolly told you that to spare your feelings until the bulk of the notifications are released

Think about it, they want to retain the really good applicants

because the more days that pass, we could accept other fellowships

so to all who disliked

keep hating

:P

You're on a forum of people who are obsessing over this fellowship. You're not going to be able to fool anyone here with your lies. I think there are literally zero people on here that believe you.

And what, you think the NSF is really worried about how many of "the really good applicants" they "retain"? Please. 

Also, to the person who mentioned cats a few pages ago.....I agree that pets can be the ultimate solution to grad school problems.  For those of you starting grad school next year I would highly recommend you start the year off with some simple pets.

I went to the Pet Store from 8-9:30 to get my mind off of this and came back with new toys for my birds and two new fish.

I'm getting my first dog in the fall. This is something I've wanted for years, and so increasingly I've found myself wandering through pet stores, populating my Amazon wishlist...even ordering tags off of Etsy for the poor thing. It's been a great distraction, and I can't wait to get her home. But the waiting on the pup, AND the waiting on the GRFP, AND the waiting on moving out to my new city is driving me nuts. Help. :P

So now that we have to wait a little longer for the results, what are people thinking about their chances of getting an award?

I've been told very conflicting things by my advisors and peers about the likelihood of me receiving an award. One of my advisors told me that students who apply before they're in graduate school have the least likely chance of getting funded (which, from what I understand, is untrue). My other advisor acted like I was a competitive applicant in an uncompetitive field (developmental psychology), and that I shouldn't get my hopes up because my field is rarely funded (which also isn't entirely true, because we have a funded developmental psych graduate student in our department now, and one of my friends got an HM last year).

My peers seem to flip-flop about whether or not I'll be funded. Add this to the comments I've heard about the review process (e.g., reviewers misreading/not reading essays), and I'm not really sure what to think. I've gone back and re-read my essays, and they seem to be okay. If worse comes to worse, I still have two more years to reapply, and my future graduate advisor has offered to help me revise my study if need be. I think I have a shot at being funded this time around, but I also wouldn't be shocked if I wasn't.

Any other thoughts? I doubt anyone is absolutely certain they'll receive an award, but is anyone hopeful?

Also an undergrad.  I figure I have very little chance.  While back in August I felt like I submitted a strong application, I recently looked over my essays and boy are there ten million things I would have done differently.  It's amazing the difference a school year makes.

Any other thoughts? I doubt anyone is absolutely certain they'll receive an award, but is anyone hopeful?

Preparing for the worst and hoping for the best, as they say.  I have quite a bit of outreach experience, but no publications.  I will be delighted if I get an award, but I won't be devastated if I don't.  I said this earlier, but most people do not get an award; don't beat yourself up if you don't get it.  Just be happy if you do.  

Also an undergrad.  I figure I have very little chance.  While back in August I felt like I submitted a strong application, I recently looked over my essays and boy are there ten million things I would have done differently.  It's amazing the difference a school year makes.

It really is crazy how much you learn. Looking back at my application, there are definitely a few things I would have worded differently. Honestly, I'm not too worried about it. I think it's okay to have a couple minor flaws, as long as they don't compromise the integrity of the entire project. At least the reviewers will know that we wrote it, not our mentors!

Personally, I think my personal statement is very strong - but I'm not sure if my research idea was as well backed up by research as it could have been - tailoring the essay to an IO psychology committee was a bit hard since I didn't have anyone in the field to help me back then. But my perceptions could be completely off, especially since I refuse to look at my essays again. ;)

In general I feel pretty good about my application. I think I am in a strong position, as I have spent an "off year" just doing research, yet remaining in the undergrad category for the application. While I feel my personal statement could have benefited from a longer track record  of commitment to my field, I think my research statement was extremely strong. One thing that concerns me is that the proposed research is quite interdisciplinary, combining elements of chemical engineering, bioengineering, and the life sciences. I am worried that I will get reviewers who are biased against the research because it incorporates other disciplines.

Preparing for the worst and hoping for the best, as they say.  I have quite a bit of outreach experience, but no publications.  I will be delighted if I get an award, but I won't be devastated if I don't.  I said this earlier, but most people do not get an award; don't beat yourself up if you don't get it.  Just be happy if you do.  

I feel about the same as you do.  I have been working as a teacher for a marine biology education non profit for almost a year now to beef up my broader impacts portion of my application so I feel that should be fine.  The one thing I am worried about is not having any publications.  I have a good amount of research experience from my undergraduate thesis and post undergrad research experiences but these didn't result in any publications.  My hope is that the emphasis on publications may not be as great since I am not in graduate school yet.  In the end, I am much the same as everyone else on here...crossing my fingers and hoping for the best :)