First years - how are we doing?

callista

Hey ion_exchanger, I was really, really tempted to do 4th. We'll never get another chance, so I think you made a great choice! There was one other lab I really wanted to rotate in but the PI is going on sabbatical next year so he wasn't taking students. I'm also a crazy planner, so not knowing where I as going to end up was driving me a bit wacky.

Only 1 straight out of undergrad in your cohort? I'm one of 3 weirdos in my cohort that has actually worked before starting grad school. The rest were in undergrad last year (which blows my mind, I would have crashed and burned if I'd tried that). Almost all the applicants this year were still in school as well. Where are my fellow non-traditional students at??

I did two and a half postbac years before grad school. There is one straight from undergrad in my cohort and the rest of them earned masters degrees from our institution.

I'm really happy I decided to pursue the fourth rotation. I almost decided not to, but did not want "what if" feelings. I'm glad I did because I haven't been able to stop thinking about my potential project, and the mentor is amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

Only about a month left to go!  I've spent a lot of today either napping or reading articles.  Got a paper draft to write and I feel like my brain is full.

There was a bomb threat on campus Thursday and that was exciting. :P

Reading the threads of incoming students who are planning for their first year reminds me so much of myself one year ago. I was so eager to get started. Why was I in such a freaking hurry? I'd love to have a summer off now.

Anyway, can you believe in a few short months we'll be second years? Congrats to everyone on surviving our first year of graduate school!!!

• 1 month later...

Survived my first year!! And even have a rough draft thesis proposal written, which is ahead of...well, the rest of my cohort, and most people in my program at this stage. :D

Second year, here I come~

• 2 months later...

Finally today I found out...I passed my qualifier!!! Had to take it twice. Bombed it the first time. Only 6 out of 17 of us made it to the second year!! Phew! I feel so lucky and blessed!

It feels so good to be a second year PhD!!! Maybe now I'll have a shred of a life, and hoping for a badass internship next summer!