Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2014--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Heard from a grad there they might not even get to meet until March to make decisions for logistical reasons. However, at least for the rhetoric department they are having some meeting on valentine's day that might deal with admissions. So maybe soon, maybe not! but at least it seems they haven't really started rather than like "were all rejected!"

Sad to say this, but I've actually just cancelled my Penn State visit.  Too much snow in the way!  Looks like a Skype interview for me, instead.

Foodie, JL24, TrizzleYO: let me know how it goes!  And safe travels!

Edited by hellofandom

Sad to say this, but I've actually just cancelled my Penn State visit.  Too much snow in the way!  Looks like a Skype interview for me, instead.

Foodie, JL24, TrizzleYO: let me know how it goes!  And safe travels!

definitely!

Aw, that's too bad, but at least you'll be a tad warmer. I contacted them earlier and once I received confirmation that they would cover additional costs I changed my flight for tomorrow afternoon. I have no idea what I'll be doing tomorrow, but hopefully I can find some good food.

It has been a really quiet day, y'all :unsure:

You're telling me.

I'm in Chicago today, going to be helping facilitate workshops at CAA2014. Kinda frustrated because Northwestern and UIC are high on my list and I don't have interviews and wasn't invited to that visit weekend. I went to the aquarium by myself and watched the beluga whales. I think it's really important to take your mind off of this all if you can, especially with all the bad news we've been having. 

Anyone who's in Chicago feel free to come check out our UncommonCommons sessions. They're free to the public (you don't have to be a member to attend our workshops/screenings).

You're telling me.

I'm in Chicago today, going to be helping facilitate workshops at CAA2014. Kinda frustrated because Northwestern and UIC are high on my list and I don't have interviews and wasn't invited to that visit weekend. I went to the aquarium by myself and watched the beluga whales. I think it's really important to take your mind off of this all if you can, especially with all the bad news we've been having. 

Anyone who's in Chicago feel free to come check out our UncommonCommons sessions. They're free to the public (you don't have to be a member to attend our workshops/screenings).

Thanks Nate!

Wish I could attend, I am in New Orleans now.

I think you definitely have chance to get in UIC or NW because of your work experience. UIC emphasizes a lot on technology, their dean is very charismatic in person! 

Also, I think neither open house nor interview is a decisive factor for you being accepted into a program.

In my case, I was skyped-interviewed by Penn State's eight admission committee members for like 40 minutes, but I was never asked to their open house.

I have know fellows that were asked to open house but never interviewed. Also, I know phd friends there who were never interviewed or asked to open-house. They also told me interview and open house didn't mean anything at this point; the process is confusing in nature.

You are definitely right! We need to distract ourselves as possible as we can. But it has been raining all day down here!

Edited by igetwrecked

For as much as I read up on the admissions process and pored over old Grad Cafe posts, I was still not ready for the actual waiting period. Seeing some admissions and rejections posted for programs you've applied to while seeing your own application status unchanged is maddening. It's compounded with friends and family a) asking if you've heard anything yet (like you wouldn't be screaming your success from the rooftops of social media) B) reassuring you that every school will put a gold star on *your* applications and c) demanding to know what your backup plan is.

Hopefully tomorrow won't be so quiet. *fingers crossed*

Thanks Nate!

Wish I could attend, I am in New Orleans now.

I think you definitely have chance to get in UIC or NW because of your work experience. UIC emphasizes a lot on technology, their dean is very charismatic in person! 

Also, I think neither open house nor interview is a decisive factor for you being accepted into a program.

In my case, I was skyped-interviewed by Penn State's eight admission committee members for like 40 minutes, but I was never asked to their open house.

I have know fellows that were asked to open house but never interviewed. Also, I know phd friends there who were never interviewed or asked to open-house. They also told me interview and open house didn't mean anything at this point; the process is confusing in nature.

You are definitely right! We need to distract ourselves as possible as we can. But it has been raining all day down here!

Thanks igetwrecked, that's really encouraging... it is important to remember the lack of an invite or an interview is not a guarantee of rejection... though it can feel like that before an official decision comes in!

For as much as I read up on the admissions process and pored over old Grad Cafe posts, I was still not ready for the actual waiting period. Seeing some admissions and rejections posted for programs you've applied to while seeing your own application status unchanged is maddening. It's compounded with friends and family a) asking if you've heard anything yet (like you wouldn't be screaming your success from the rooftops of social media) B) reassuring you that every school will put a gold star on *your* applications and c) demanding to know what your backup plan is.

Hopefully tomorrow won't be so quiet. *fingers crossed*

I agree!  And I have to say, I find the whole process confusing.  For example, I have the opposite story as igetwrecked: I was invited to Penn State's open house, but never had any interview.  And I've a bunch of places where my status is still "in review" even though I know those places made decisions.  The entire process seems incredibly arbitrary to me.  I guess if you're accepted anywhere straight away you're super lucky.

As for the backup plan comment: isn't that literally the most terrifying question ever? Lol.

UT-Austin is moving forward with their applications! I just received word that I've been wait-listed (Media Studies PhD).

Congratulations! That is pretty awesome news. :D Here's to hoping you move up the list. 

I was rejected by UT. A bit bummed, but I'm kind of at peace with the possibility of having to reapply next season. It's not like I was automatically rejected for-ev-er.

UT-Austin is moving forward with their applications! I just received word that I've been wait-listed (Media Studies PhD).

Congrats deleonj! Best of luck going forward!

Rejected from Washington just now. Hurts like hell. I know my wife didn't want to live so far away from her parents though...

Congratulations! That is pretty awesome news. :D Here's to hoping you move up the list. 

I was rejected by UT. A bit bummed, but I'm kind of at peace with the possibility of having to reapply next season. It's not like I was automatically rejected for-ev-er.

So sorry to hear that guys. That really sucks. I really hope for more good news to come soon.

KentuckyCurls, will you not go to Temple then?

I'm in the Washington rejects crew as well. I was really fond of the place, but I'll live. So far I've had 5 decisions and I haven't gotten into the two I perceived to be hardest to get into and I have gotten into the other three. 

Of the rest, I don't see any easy acceptances (did I ever?). UIUC should be easiest as it is an MA program and I am a good fit, but two of the four faculty members I match with well are not going to be available for advising and may not be teaching at all in the immediate future. Being in-state there helps my odds, I think, maybe...but I'm not sure that it matters since I do have that solitary PhD offer. I'm a great fit for Northwestern and would love it there, but I'd rate it as very competitive to get into. While I fit the RPC program really well, I don't have a very good fit in terms of a single faculty member. I fit Colorado (Media Studies) very well and match well with several faculty members, but they very rarely admit students w/o MA into their PhD program. 

If I don't get any more admits, I'd be happy in Ohio State. I have a SO who has applied to several common places as well (different programs) and we're waiting to see how her situation unfolds. She's on the wait list at OSU, so that could be the runaway favorite if we can get her in there.

I got an e-mail from CU Boulder! Accepted!

Earlier today, I got a very encouraging e-mail from a Boulder professor who's overseeing some of the graduate curriculum of the new college. He got my hopes up and I'm glad I wasn't disappointed.

Edit: I went ahead and posted my result to the survey and suddenly the GRE fields were QVW instead of VQW like I'd been reading for weeks... gah! Screwed it up! Re-submitted, hopefully my marking the earlier post as spam will get the job done... :x

Edited by devwil

I see there have been two acceptances by email posted. Not a good sign for me, but it was a longshot from the get-go. Congrats devwil, it's a really cool program in a great place to live. I lived in Boulder for a while and I hated to leave.

I was rejected by UT, as well.  :( Bummer, but the hot weather would never have worked for me, anyway.  Looking like my only acceptance this cycle is Kentucky.  Oh well, I'm just happy to have been accepted somewhere. 

Thanks igetwrecked, that's really encouraging... it is important to remember the lack of an invite or an interview is not a guarantee of rejection... though it can feel like that before an official decision comes in!

You're telling me.

nah, I applied NW MTS program too, and no interview or campus visit invitation. Also, I applied UCSB Communication and no news, nothing changed on their website, but I saw some ppl had interview, got admitted or rejected. :(  

Congrats deleonj! Best of luck going forward!

So sorry to hear that guys. That really sucks. I really hope for more good news to come soon.

KentuckyCurls, will you not go to Temple then?

I have not received a funding offer from Temple yet; I've been told I should know sometime in April. However, I have been warned by some folks who know the program and have some inside information that it is possible I might not receive adequate funding given the budget crunch the city/university/department have faced recently. Without a solid funding package, I could not accept as I am trying not to burden myself with too much more student loan debt. So, I'm waiting to hear back from my remaining five programs, then funding at Temple. If it doesn't work out this season, I will most likely move back to Texas, as the job markets in Austin and Houston are substantially better than here in Louisville. Work (and pay down existing loans!), volunteer, retake the GRE to try to squeeze out a few more points, submit papers, reapply. 

I was rejected by UT, as well.   :( Bummer, but the hot weather would never have worked for me, anyway.  Looking like my only acceptance this cycle is Kentucky.  Oh well, I'm just happy to have been accepted somewhere. 

Bummer! But hey! You have gotten into a fantastic program at a great school with an envy-worthy funding offer. Not too shabby. :D

And yes, the heat in Texas is kind of unreal. One summer when I lived there, the temperature broke 100 degrees every day for over thirty days straight. It was brutal.

Edited by KentuckyCurls

Bummer! But hey! You have gotten into a fantastic program at a great school with an envy-worthy funding offer. Not too shabby. :D

And yes, the heat in Texas is kind of unreal. One summer when I lived there, the temperature broke 100 degrees every day for over thirty days straight. It was brutal.

Aww, thanks! I'm very excited about Kentucky and I will most likely go there.

As for your previous post re: Temple, unfortunately, funding is always an issue there.  (My MA program is/was unfunded.)  But congrats to you, as well, for being accepted to the MM&C program there - I have really heard wonderful things about it and I hope they can provide you with the funding you need to attend.  There are some fantastic profs there (Dr. Campbell, Dr. Fernback, Dr. Lombard, Dr. Vacker - just to name a few) doing some awesome work (depending on your particular focus, of course).

Finally caved and emailed UCSB regarding my application status.

I was informed there have been many rejections and only a few acceptances thus far. I'm still in the running, and they should have decisions made by the end of the month.

I've decided "still in the running" is celebration-worthy at this point. 

Finally caved and emailed UCSB regarding my application status.

I was informed there have been many rejections and only a few acceptances thus far. I'm still in the running, and they should have decisions made by the end of the month.

I've decided "still in the running" is celebration-worthy at this point. 

My advisor has been insistent that no news is always good news.

I was rejected by UT, as well.   :( Bummer, but the hot weather would never have worked for me, anyway.  Looking like my only acceptance this cycle is Kentucky.  Oh well, I'm just happy to have been accepted somewhere. 

Sorry to hear that, hellofandom and kentuckycurls  :( .