Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2014--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Uhm. Call them ASAP. If you would like to go there. You've never heard anything from them at all? And you did not think about emailing them or calling them some time earlier? I mean, earlier than a day before the deadline?

Hi Duna, I actually have been accepted somewhere else. These two schools were high on my list but after some initial consideration, I have chosen somewhere else. I was more or less just wondering what the thoughts are out there. I guess I find it odd that I haven't heard anything and perhaps that is indicative of their programs?

Well, they know your name. They will still be researchers in your field. They will see you at conferences. They might be your reviewers or the people who will hire you later. You will need to decide if you're in the position, you sort of see yourself here, to judge them based on all the assumptions you made.

And yeah, I don't have any thoughts. There are a million (ok, but like 10) possible scenarios for why this has happened. I'm not the guessing type you know, trying to do research.

Well, they know your name. They will still be researchers in your field. They will see you at conferences. They might be your reviewers or the people who will hire you later. You will need to decide if you're in the position, you sort of see yourself here, to judge them based on all the assumptions you made.

And yeah, I don't have any thoughts. There are a million (ok, but like 10) possible scenarios for why this has happened. I'm not the guessing type you know, trying to do research.

So are you suggesting I contact the schools and ask or simply wait? I'm a little confused as to your response, maybe more so the tone. Also, what possible scenarios are you conjuring? I'd like to know haha. At this point, I'm feeling pretty good about everything. just trying to receive insight.

So are you suggesting I contact the schools and ask or simply wait? I'm a little confused as to your response, maybe more so the tone. Also, what possible scenarios are you conjuring? I'd like to know haha. At this point, I'm feeling pretty good about everything. just trying to receive insight.

I think what he/she was saying is if you want to know, contact (email/call) the school since the deadline is approaching. There can be a lot of reasons why they haven't let you know by now, and if you had not contacted them to find out, you shouldn't make assumptions.

Duna, if I misunderstood you, sorry in advance ;)

That makes so much more sense. Thanks for the advice! I more or less was also interested in knowing if this is the norm, to not hear anything either way, and I'm glad to know there are others out there who are able to make sense of it all:) Thanks!

Ok, so I will spell my thoughts out in more detail:

Let's say one of these schools wait listed or even accepted you or maybe tried to contact you to inquire whether you're still interested or that something is missing or whatever. Then you have not responded to them. They know your name. They will be at the same conferences and they will know your professors. Comm is a tiny field. Subgroups are often only a handful of researchers. You don't want to burn bridges and you don't want to talk about it on a public forum in a tone that sounds sort of arrogant. At least I wouldn't. 

Or maybe they have rejected you. I still wouldn't talk about it in a certain way on a public forum. And no, this is not anonymous. Even if you picked your name well and the midwest is huge.

@Kaitlyn - Wow that's cool. I'm actually in Fort Collins attending CSU. I'm actually getting Married end of May and moving to Raleigh early June, we'll be taking our honeymoon somewhere on a beach in the area. Any suggestions?

I forgot to check the user name, but whoever hadn't heard from the schools yet: I'd just send a polite email saying that you have decided to accept another offer because of the deadline and that you'd like to pull your application if it was still being considered. It's a polite way of saying thanks for taking my money and never responding.

@Kaitlyn - Wow that's cool. I'm actually in Fort Collins attending CSU. I'm actually getting Married end of May and moving to Raleigh early June, we'll be taking our honeymoon somewhere on a beach in the area. Any suggestions?

I forgot to check the user name, but whoever hadn't heard from the schools yet: I'd just send a polite email saying that you have decided to accept another offer because of the deadline and that you'd like to pull your application if it was still being considered. It's a polite way of saying thanks for taking my money and never responding.

Thanks Meanyus, that's great advice! Congrats on NCSU! 

Found out I was at the very top of the waitlist for Pitt after the last round of acceptances. :/ My final plans look like I won't be attending PhD school this year, however, I will still be moving to the Pittsburgh area and working for a year and I'll reapply next year. Hopefully with a few changes to my application I can move myself up a bit higher! Congrats and good luck to everyone on your final destinations. 

@Meanyus- Congrats on the wedding! There are, of course, many great beaches in North Carolina, but I personally love the Outer Banks the most. Idk if you've looked into it at all, but I live up in Corolla, so could give you a lot of details on that area, but depending on what you are looking for, I know a lot about the rest of the Outer Banks as well. Just send me a private message if you want and I'd be happy to answer some questions if you have any.

Hey i could use some advice.

I was accepted into two programs--the University of South Florida and The University of Wisconsin Milwaukee--with almost identical assistanship offers. I am having a very difficult time choosing.

I know at first you may be thinking "There is no decision. Florida against Wisconsin?" but there are several things I am considering.

First, the cold doesn't bother me, I actually like the cold more than the heat and I sued to live in Michigan.

Second, I think Wisconsin-Milwaukee is an almost perfect fit academically because my interest is in rhetoric and they have a few excellent scholars. USF only has two people in rhetoric, and the seem to be more of a  critical-cultural with an emphasis on ethnography. But obviously they must have something to offer  since they admitted a rhetoric guy.

But Tampa seems like a much better place to spend the next four years than Milwaukee and I think I would be very happy there. What to you all think?

I was accepted into two programs--the University of South Florida and The University of Wisconsin Milwaukee--with almost identical assistanship offers. I am having a very difficult time choosing.

I know at first you may be thinking "There is no decision. Florida against Wisconsin?" but there are several things I am considering.

First, the cold doesn't bother me, I actually like the cold more than the heat and I sued to live in Michigan.

Second, I think Wisconsin-Milwaukee is an almost perfect fit academically because my interest is in rhetoric and they have a few excellent scholars. USF only has two people in rhetoric, and the seem to be more of a  critical-cultural with an emphasis on ethnography. But obviously they must have something to offer  since they admitted a rhetoric guy.

But Tampa seems like a much better place to spend the next four years than Milwaukee and I think I would be very happy there. What to you all think?

I think you should go with Milwaukee, especially if you're not concerned with the cold. I am, and I still chose to go to my best-fit program. No regrets yet. Will probably get some comes winter though, but you likely won't have any. Do you have any other concerns regarding location like friends & family, SO, cost of living, housing availability, etc.?

Hey,

I follow VioletAyame on this one: you should go with your best fit. At the end, isn't it the most important in a PhD program?

Besides, when reading your post, I think you already made (unconciously?) your choice! ;)

I think you should go with Milwaukee, especially if you're not concerned with the cold. I am, and I still chose to go to my best-fit program. No regrets yet. Will probably get some comes winter though, but you likely won't have any. Do you have any other concerns regarding location like friends & family, SO, cost of living, housing availability, etc.?

Hey,

I follow VioletAyame on this one: you should go with your best fit. At the end, isn't it the most important in a PhD program?

Besides, when reading your post, I think you already made (unconciously?) your choice! ;)

Thanks Violet and Rhet Girl. I think you have given me some things to think about. Anyone know what life in Milwaukee is like? :D

Someone turned down their Pitt offer after the deadline and I just received my own offer that I will be accepting! See anyone else who accepted at Pitt this fall :)

Wow, I think I can imagine how happy you must be right now! Enjoy it. Congratulations!

Milwaukee is great. It isn't without its issues like any other place, but is generally a place that is safe, friendly like you'd expect from the Midwest, and has the resources/attractions of a big city. You're within a stone's throw of Chicago as well as several nice smaller towns, like Madison. Cold or not, I'd much rather live in Milwaukee than in Tampa Florida. Even better, it sounds like UW-M is clearly the better school for you. Hope this can ease your mind on your decision.

Someone turned down their Pitt offer after the deadline and I just received my own offer that I will be accepting! See anyone else who accepted at Pitt this fall :)

Congratulations!!!! What an awesome piece of news! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...