Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2014--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

I'm in at Penn State CoC as well! (cultural-critical)

Accepted to Penn State and thrilled.  I wonder how many they've accepted so far.. it is likely that I will accept so I believe now starts the grueling process of finding housing..

Congrats everyone!! Lots of good news lately! :)

I do have one problem that I wanted advice on. I have two school visitations on the same weekend, so I told school #2 that I couldn't make it since I had already committed to visiting school #1. School #2 emailed me again today asking if I could come any other week (and that they would fund the visit). Would it be completely atrocious for me to ask if I could visit over a weekend...? I imagine they would probably say no, but I wanted to make sure this request wasn't super outrageous.

Reason why I can't visit on a weekday is that work is extremely unhappy with me for taking so much time off, and I had promised my manager that I wouldn't be taking any more days off before I received this email. We are also entering a pretty hectic season :(

Unless it's a second visit weekend where they would have quite a few people it probably wouldn't be all that productive. Everyone you meet will have to come to campus just to visit you, you can't sit in on any classes. Might be best to just see if you can do a Friday/Saturday thing so that you can get a feel for the school, and the area, in my opinion.

One of my coworkers got an email w/ funding offer from Pitt yesterday. She said they are moving back their visit weekend but wasn't given a reason. Probably because they wanted to have people fly out tomorrow and they had just extended some offers over the weekend/Monday.

Anyone going to the Utah visit this weekend? I've tried messaging the few people I've seen say they were accepted there. My wife and I will be staying in the guest housing there and it'd be nice to have a partner in crime or two as we've never been to SLC and won't know anyone there!

I will also be at the Utah visit. My situation is kind of similar as I will be moving with my husband except he decided not to come to the visits with me. I can't believe it's this weekend. The months seems to be flying by!

Anyone heard any news from Madison or Northwestern? I'm thinking seriously about my UIC offer but I think they want an answer by the end of next week. 

Still nothing from Northwestern, but from the results search it looks like results could be out this week or the next.

Still nothing from Northwestern, but from the results search it looks like results could be out this week or the next.

Seems like all of the Northwestern programs are totally erratic in their notifications.

Yeah, the only thing holding me up is that I haven't seen any applicants to the RPC program report anything, including visits/interviews, nor have I seen any RPC folks report interviewing past years

Yeah, it seems pretty hard to predict with a school like NW who likes to just call people out of the blue -- I'm just irritated since it's the only remaining variable in my equation (I do have a SO to worry about)

Just received a funding offer from NC State, so that's a big relief. I'm also fairly certain I'll be receiving a funding offer from Utah in the morning as they've requested a meeting to talk with me about it when I arrive for the visit weekend.

I am wondering your opinions. NCSU's offer will probably be about 2500-3000 more per year and the cost of living looks like it will be slightly less. I think Utah is probably a better program overall and would be more beneficial when I hit the job market.

If you were in this situation, which one of those factors would you weigh more heavily? I have a family, so it's probably going to be a tight 4 years regardless of which offer I pick. Either way, I'm feeling pretty torn at the moment.

As someone currently spending 23 hours of his day pondering different options, I can say that you likely have to decide what aspects are most important to you and go from there.  My brilliant advisor came up with the idea of drawing up your ideal program and seeing how each option compares on what matters to you.

It's difficult to weigh in on anyone's situation.  I would certainly consider standard important issues like faculty fit, research productivity / opportunities, job placement, cohort, funding, workload (both in own studies and responsibilities) and also things like where you want to spend the next 4-5 years of your life, quality of life via workload / funds, family, distance concerns, etc.

But yeah, I have no answers.  But probably, there aren't really any wrong answers, and we're lucky to have choices (it feels a lot better than two months ago, though definitely carries its new anxieties).  Good luck to everyone making fun choices, I hope you all still have hair in a month :).

Just received a funding offer from NC State, so that's a big relief. I'm also fairly certain I'll be receiving a funding offer from Utah in the morning as they've requested a meeting to talk with me about it when I arrive for the visit weekend.

I am wondering your opinions. NCSU's offer will probably be about 2500-3000 more per year and the cost of living looks like it will be slightly less. I think Utah is probably a better program overall and would be more beneficial when I hit the job market.

If you were in this situation, which one of those factors would you weigh more heavily? I have a family, so it's probably going to be a tight 4 years regardless of which offer I pick. Either way, I'm feeling pretty torn at the moment.

As someone currently spending 23 hours of his day pondering different options, I can say that you likely have to decide what aspects are most important to you and go from there.  My brilliant advisor came up with the idea of drawing up your ideal program and seeing how each option compares on what matters to you.

It's difficult to weigh in on anyone's situation.  I would certainly consider standard important issues like faculty fit, research productivity / opportunities, job placement, cohort, funding, workload (both in own studies and responsibilities) and also things like where you want to spend the next 4-5 years of your life, quality of life via workload / funds, family, distance concerns, etc.

But yeah, I have no answers.  But probably, there aren't really any wrong answers, and we're lucky to have choices (it feels a lot better than two months ago, though definitely carries its new anxieties).  Good luck to everyone making fun choices, I hope you all still have hair in a month :).

I'm in the same situation of balancing options, and really, I do not know what to do, or which criteria are the most important. It is truly too tricky! Hell, who could have guesses that making a decision could be so hard?

My friend said he was accepted by Northwestern with funding of 25K. He is in political communication, but he didn't visit bc he's an international student. 

So many more details needed...

My friend said he was accepted by Northwestern with funding of 25K. He is in political communication, but he didn't visit bc he's an international student. 

So many more details needed...

different department, doubt it means much

Hello folks,

Congratulations to all of you with great offers! So far, I have just got one wait list from Cornell University and no other offers. Could some of you who are admitted by Cornell but have better offers consider to reject it soon? As one of the waitlisted applicants, I'm eager to getting a real offer. Thank you very much! Wish you all the best in your future Ph.D. career!

Be blessed!

Hi all, 

I've been accepted at UT Austin and I am wait-listed at NYU. Both the universities are excellent in their own right but I would prefer NYU in case that works out. I'm afraid though that I'll have to confirm to UT about my acceptance of their admission very soon because they would also then want to move on to their wait-list but NYU might take longer time to come out with their names- Mid April perhaps. Anyone here knows how this wait-list moves for different universities? Those who have been accepted to RTF program at UT, has the department/letter/ mentioned any last dates for final response?

Edited by Rwin

Hi all, 

I've been accepted at UT Austin and I am wait-listed at NYU. Both the universities are excellent in their own right but I would prefer NYU in case that works out. I'm afraid though that I'll have to confirm to UT about my acceptance of their admission very soon because they would also then want to move on to their wait-list but NYU might take longer time to come out with their names- Mid April perhaps. Anyone here knows how this wait-list moves for different universities? Those who have been accepted to RTF program at UT, has the department/letter/ mentioned any last dates for final response?

Congratulations on these! Are you talking about NYU MCC program?