Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2014--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Just getting this topic started for the Fall 2014 cycle. I deferred admission to the one school I was admitted to last cycle and I'm applying to 3 others this time around.

I'm interested in new media, race and representation, the public sphere, identity, subaltern studies and cultural studies.

Is there anyone else out there?

I too have deferred registration for one PhD program and am now considering other programs. I applied to Northwestern's Rhetoric and Public Culture last year but wasn't accepted:( I'm thinking about applying again despite my application materials/credentials remaining the same.

I'm interested in self-help/makeover/therapy cultures, subjective/confessional media, neoliberalism, etc. 

I learned a lot from the last cycle. This time I've spent much more time looking for fit, rather than at Departments that I wanted to be in. This time around, the only school that remains the same is the one that I deferred (have to apply for funding). I really hit my head last year and wasted quite a bit of money. I applied to Northwestern's RPC last year and they won't be seeing me this year...I have realised I just don't fit. Good luck if you apply again...where else are you thinking?

Mine are UIUC, Michigan and USF.

I'm still narrowing my choices for schools and some might not be technically "communications" since my work will occasionally be better directed to film studies or politics departments. Generally speaking, I would describe my interests to best be housed in "media studies" departments - I was once a fairly straightforward film studies major, but I've since broadened a bit and have been interested in interpretive study of media and culture, which incorporates my study of politics as well. I've been working on a project on "fake news" as well as about journalistic ethics.

Some that I'll almost certainly be applying to are UC-Santa Barbara, Colorado, The New School (MA), Illinois (U-C), and UIC. I'm going to try to cast a wide net since I'm an academic couple w/ an aspiring English MA/PhD and we hope to have a match. 

My current dream school is Columbia School of Journalism's Comm. PhD...it is only fitting that there are about 4-5 members of their faculty that have written key works for my senior project.  I have a feeling that it will be extremely competitive, especially as I'm just going to be a BA; might be a better place to consider if I go somewhere for MA.

Had a skype chat with a POI at one of the schools I'm applying to. Thought it went well, asked me to send my MA dissertation (all 75 pages), gave me some insight into the recruitment procedure (including the fact that the WHOLE dept. plays a role in admissions) and recommended other faculty members whose work mine complements.

The kicker was the offer to help with my SOP...I'm over the moon...should I be?

Had a skype chat with a POI at one of the schools I'm applying to. Thought it went well, asked me to send my MA dissertation (all 75 pages), gave me some insight into the recruitment procedure (including the fact that the WHOLE dept. plays a role in admissions) and recommended other faculty members whose work mine complements.

That sounds like an exceptional development to me.

That's outstanding.  Last year when I was looking at programs I found one professor who was an ideal fit with my research interests.  There is no doubt in my mind that he advocated to admit me - and I received a full funding package as well.  If you find faculty to connect with that's really going to help when they review candidates.  

That's outstanding.  Last year when I was looking at programs I found one professor who was an ideal fit with my research interests.  There is no doubt in my mind that he advocated to admit me - and I received a full funding package as well.  If you find faculty to connect with that's really going to help when they review candidates.  

Thanks lyrehc! :) It's been the bright spot so far...fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm joining up for the application season.  I've completed coursework for a master's program in media and communication, but I'm still working on my thesis.  I'm looking for a cultural-critical Ph.D. program in media/technology.  My top 5 are: NYU, PennState, Iowa, Indiana, and McGill (in no order).  My research interests include Media History, Poststructuralism, Mcluhan, de Certeau, Appropriation, and Audience Reception.

@beyondaboundary I just started a new thread asking about contacting POIs.  It seems you've already done that, I'd love to hear your comments.

Glad to have some comrades for this war against applications!

Getting closer to having things nailed down. The PhD programs to which I am definitely applying are UPenn-Annenberg, UWashington (Communication), and UIUC (Communication). All, especially the first two, are real tough programs but my research interests are a phenomenal fit. UIUC is a good fit as well and is no cinch to get into, but I am in-state and I'm hoping/wondering if that will help.

I'm also applying to UDelaware and UW-MIlwaukee terminal MA programs, as both schools have researchers who are very closely aligned with my current research interests as well as a history of sending students to elite PhD programs. 

There is another group of MA/PhD programs I'm looking at: Indiana, OSU, Syracuse (Media Studies MA), Colorado (Comm.). I expect to eliminate one or two of them as I speak to staff about funding, advising availability, methods, etc. As mentioned earlier, I am half of an academic couple so we're trying to cover our butts for a variety of possibilities (the other half is in literature). Trying to have as many common schools as possible (UW, UW-M, Colorado OSU) and the places where we differ we are trying to be certain that there could be options nearby. For instance, it is highly unlikely I would refuse an offer from Penn-Annenberg, but we know there are a variety of schools inside and near Philly that she could look at.

I've had some productive conversations via email with some POIs and am gradually mustering the confidence to contact some of my biggest academic crushes :P

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering how everyone is getting along.

I'm in procrastination mode unfortunately, with a half finished SOP and a nowhere complete personal statement. I have also complicated the issue by entertaining the thought of applying to one Sociology programme - not too big of a jump as my research fits but....wondering if I should...

Are we all applying to UIUC?

Just wondering how everyone is getting along.

I'm in procrastination mode unfortunately, with a half finished SOP and a nowhere complete personal statement. I have also complicated the issue by entertaining the thought of applying to one Sociology programme - not too big of a jump as my research fits but....wondering if I should...

Are we all applying to UIUC?

Interesting! Anyone care to share who they are interested in working with there? I'm a big fan of Tewksbury and McChesney. I think I prefer to work with Tewksbury due to a bit more similarity in research interests, but McChesney might be the coolest guy ever (in my silly, academic opinion).

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone!  I'm an MA student now, graduating in the spring.  Finished my coursework and now finishing my thesis for the spring.  Trying to apply for Fall 2014, as well.  My background is in music production/anthropology (undergrad) and television/new media theory (grad), and I'm looking for programs emphasizing qualitative/anthropological methods, audience studies, and critical theory.  My top 5 are: Michigan (LSA), Colorado, Massachusetts, Pittsburgh, and Indiana.  

Great to meet other people in the same crappy admissions process haha!

Hi all,

I'm finishing up my MA and my thesis at The New School and looking to move on, starting my applications this week! My schools are Michigan State, Northwestern, UIC and UIUC, Madison and maybe Pittsburg. Reach picks are MIT, Stanford and Berklee. Probably still need to narrow it down a bit!

My wife ruled out Southern California for us, so no USC for me. California and Mass are very unlikely, just because of the cost of living. I was getting excited about UC Boulder because I thought it would be awesome to live in the Rockies, but on further research I found out that their Communication PHD with a media studies focus is probably temporarily defunct - they closed the journalism school recently and are working on making a new college of media.

So far my work has been really interdisciplinary, but heavy on the cultural studies and ethnography. I'm willing to do more qualitative work although I don't have much experience with it and my math gre scores were pretty weak. Interests are network theory, digital media, participatory culture, civic media and public sphere.

I made contact awhile back with someone at UIC who is great and someone at Northwestern who was totally unhelpful, as well as one or two others, but sort of lost track after I got bogged down in thesis work. However since I have some good experience and a decent CV, I'm not too worried about making a good impression or finding a good fit.

Edited by natebassett

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, new here.

I'm applying to USC Annenberg and UC Santa Barbara, any thoughts about them?

I have not studied in the US before, my MA was from the UK and undergrad from Indonesia, I found it very stressful having to take all the standardised tests!

My interest is in new technologies / media, online communities and organizational communication.

Anyone applied to those shools? how's everyone doing with GRE? I'm going to take mine next week! :wacko:

Progress so far..

finishing my SOP and resume, waiting for 1 other recommendation, taking GRE and sending transcripts.

Edited by theoreo

@theoreo nice to see another UK graduate on this forum. I have one question about your schools: Are they only ones that 'fit' your research interests? I ask only because Annenberg is one of the most applied to schools and therefore can afford to be highly selective for their few places...

Best of luck though and why not take a look at Rensslaer Poly., they are quite heavy into new technologies and media

Hi everyone, new here.

I have not studied in the US before, my MA was from the UK and undergrad from Indonesia, I found it very stressful having to take all the standardised tests!

My interest is in new technologies / media, online communities and organizational communication.

Anyone applied to those shools? how's everyone doing with GRE? I'm going to take mine next week! :wacko:

Progress so far..

finishing my SOP and resume, waiting for 1 other recommendation, taking GRE and sending transcripts.

Hi theoreo,

I'm applying to USC and UCSB too and I know that both have Dec 1st deadline for their online applications. USC allows supporting material (transcript & GRE) to be sent in until Dec 15th. I'm not sure about UCSB since they don't require official transcript until they make their decision, and I already sent in my score a while ago. But I do know they require a separate personal statement beside the SOP called the Personal Contribution/Achievement statement. So you still have quite a lot to prepare in not a lot of time. If you're taking the GRE next week, I don't think it will make the Dec 1st deadline (at least for UCSB, USC might be tight), so maybe you should email them to ask about sending the score in late.

Update: Narrowed my list down, been emailing people furiously, made some contacts and about to start the application and write my SOP this week! In reaching out to people, I got some very polite "no this is not a good place for you" for good reasons, which I appreciated, and I got some awesome "you should definitely apply" which was nice too.

New List (by preference, weighed by people/location/cost of living):

University of Washington

University of Wisconsin-Madison (Comm Arts)

University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill (Comm Studies)

MIT (Media Lab)

University of Illinois at Chicago

Northwestern (Comm Studies)

Hi everyone, new here.

Progress so far..

hi theoreo,

USC Annenberg is probably one of the best programs IMHO - they have Harry Jenkins and Manuel Castells who are some of the most important thinkers in media studies at the moment, w/r/t your interest in new technologies / media, online communities. I would have loved to apply there (but my wife doesn't want us moving to socal).

I don't know much about UCSB but I do know they have the Media Industries Project which looks cool.

Edited by natebassett

@theoreo nice to see another UK graduate on this forum. I have one question about your schools: Are they only ones that 'fit' your research interests? I ask only because Annenberg is one of the most applied to schools and therefore can afford to be highly selective for their few places...

Best of luck though and why not take a look at Rensslaer Poly., they are quite heavy into new technologies and media

Hey @beyondaboundary!

Well actually there are other schools but because of some personal limitations I decided to apply to those two only for this year. Some others schools that I initially looked at was Uni of Washington, Newhouse, SUNY Albany and North Caroline State Uni. I looked at Hass school at Rensslaer Poly as you suggested and now considering them.. thanks!

Hi theoreo,

I'm applying to USC and UCSB too and I know that both have Dec 1st deadline for their online applications. USC allows supporting material (transcript & GRE) to be sent in until Dec 15th. I'm not sure about UCSB since they don't require official transcript until they make their decision, and I already sent in my score a while ago. But I do know they require a separate personal statement beside the SOP called the Personal Contribution/Achievement statement. So you still have quite a lot to prepare in not a lot of time. If you're taking the GRE next week, I don't think it will make the Dec 1st deadline (at least for UCSB, USC might be tight), so maybe you should email them to ask about sending the score in late.

Hey @VioletAyame, yeap I have wrote emails to both schools about my test scores, got written confirmation that as long as I took the test before Dec 1 I should be okay. I have finished my Personal Contribution/Achievement statement for UCSB, well.. now only SOP that I have to finish. Good luck for us!

Update: Narrowed my list down, been emailing people furiously, made some contacts and about to start the application and write my SOP this week! In reaching out to people, I got some very polite "no this is not a good place for you" for good reasons, which I appreciated, and I got some awesome "you should definitely apply" which was nice too.

New List (by preference, weighed by people/location/cost of living):

University of Washington

University of Wisconsin-Madison (Comm Arts)

University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill (Comm Studies)

MIT (Media Lab)

University of Illinois at Chicago

Northwestern (Comm Studies)

hi theoreo,

USC Annenberg is probably one of the best programs IMHO - they have Harry Jenkins and Manuel Castells who are some of the most important thinkers in media studies at the moment, w/r/t your interest in new technologies / media, online communities. I would have loved to apply there (but my wife doesn't want us moving to socal).

I don't know much about UCSB but I do know they have the Media Industries Project which looks cool.

Hi @natebassett, one of the reasons I applied to USC Annenberg is because of their Program of Online Communities! Very excited! I am also aware of Media Industries Project at UCSB, hopefully one of the schools would accept me :D

Btw I was looking at U of Washington too, but I didn't apply for this year. Maybe next year if this year's not my year...