Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2014--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

wb.o make sure you double check the major listed. I just did a search of Chapel Hill & Communication and saw that a majority of the responses for just Communication or Communication Studies were Jan15-March. I'd hold out hope for a bit longer.

I checked the application portal just now and I haven't gotten any sort of update. I emailed one of the office staff on Wednesday of this past week because there was a problem with the applyyourself portal on my application and due to the context of the conversation, I am left believing that they are still making acceptance decisions.

Have any of you heard from UCSB yet?

I saw this in the GradCafe result.........

So it means UCSB has finished the admission process?

Nerve-wracking.....

UC Santa Barbara Communication, PhD (F14) Rejected via E-mail on 7 Jan 2014 A 13 Jan 2014

Just did a round of checking my applications to see if there's been any movement-- and my status changed on my Temple application to "University Acceptance." Even though I still have seven more to hear back from before I make The Big Decision and no word on funding yet, this is a pretty awesome feeling. 

Congrats =)

I submitted my last application today after a fair dose of procrastination. 

As soon as I finished with it, I grabbed my phone which I had silenced so as not to distract me into further procrastination. What do I see on there? An email notifying me of induction to my second major department's honor society. Would have looked nice and schnazzy on my CV. Oh well.

That's pretty awesome!!!!

That's so awesome!  Congrats! Are you applying to the doctoral program in MM&C?  (I'm in the MA program there now, but not applying there for my PhD.)  If you don't mind me asking, who are you interviewing with? 

How was your Penn State interview?

Have any of you heard from UCSB yet?

I saw this in the GradCafe result.........

So it means UCSB has finished the admission process?

Nerve-wracking.....

UC Santa Barbara Communication, PhD (F14) Rejected via E-mail on 7 Jan 2014 A 13 Jan 2014

Nope. No word from UCSB on my end. Status still shows "Submitted."

Perhaps this person learned of their rejection via email from their POI? Given there are no other UCSB rejections yet, that's my best guess.

Perhaps this person learned of their rejection via email from their POI? Given there are no other UCSB rejections yet, that's my best guess.

I just went to their recruitment/interview weekend, but from what I heard, last year they did accept a few people without interviewing, generally before the weekend. Then again the visit is earlier this year too, so I can't be certain. I'm sure that you can email or call them right now and ask to get a specific answer.

I just went to their recruitment/interview weekend, but from what I heard, last year they did accept a few people without interviewing, generally before the weekend. Then again the visit is earlier this year too, so I can't be certain. I'm sure that you can email or call them right now and ask to get a specific answer.

before the recruitment weekend? ugh....hope that doesn't mean that I am automatically rejected....

Thanks  for the information =D

Same here.

Hope we all get some good news after MLK day =]

Hi!

This is Elvan from Turkey. I applied for Communication PhD programs for fall 2014 (many in USA and one in Canada).

I only got an email from a professor of UW Madison for an interview so far but we still did not arrange the time for the Skype interview. I just wanted to check if anyone heard from the schools on my list.

Any one hearing from the schools listed below? (It is more than welcomed if you tell your past experiences/the dates you got an acceptance for these these programs.)

Northwestern University

USC Annenberg

University of Michigan at Ann Arbor

Washington University

UW Madison

University of Illinois at Chicago

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign

University of Maryland

McGill University

Good luck to everyone waiting for an offer! 

Has anyone else been having problems with their applications being screwed up after completion? For two different schools I have had errors that I am 100% sure I didn't make. One application said that I submitted no transcripts, and the other said that two of my LORs did not submit their documents. I checked both these applications prior to the deadline and they were correct, but now as I watch for admissions decisions I'm finding these errors.

I'm wondering if it's a web browser issue? One school used the applyyourself program and the other did not. Either way, both schools allowed me to give them the documents, but my imagination is running rampant on how bad these two errors have hurt my chances of getting into both schools.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Elvan, I am not much help to you but I can tell you that I haven't heard from Urbana-Champaign yet. I did not reply to the rest of your schools. Congratulations on the interview at Madison, the inside member on my thesis committee graduated from there and the program was highly recommended to me. I just couldn't convince the wife to move back to the midwest.

I did see someone post on the results search that they were accepted to Urbana-Champaign, so I'm hoping to hear back from them pretty soon.

Hi!

This is Elvan from Turkey. I applied for Communication PhD programs for fall 2014 (many in USA and one in Canada).

I only got an email from a professor of UW Madison for an interview so far but we still did not arrange the time for the Skype interview. I just wanted to check if anyone heard from the schools on my list.

Any one hearing from the schools listed below? (It is more than welcomed if you tell your past experiences/the dates you got an acceptance for these these programs.)

Northwestern University

USC Annenberg

Washington University

UW Madison

University of Maryland

McGill University

I know University of Maryland had their interviews before Christmas.

Other schools you list usually have results out during Feb. 

Has anyone else been having problems with their applications being screwed up after completion? For two different schools I have had errors that I am 100% sure I didn't make. One application said that I submitted no transcripts, and the other said that two of my LORs did not submit their documents. I checked both these applications prior to the deadline and they were correct, but now as I watch for admissions decisions I'm finding these errors.

I'm wondering if it's a web browser issue? One school used the applyyourself program and the other did not. Either way, both schools allowed me to give them the documents, but my imagination is running rampant on how bad these two errors have hurt my chances of getting into both schools.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Which are those two schools? How did you find out?

I mean, if the school didn't contact you regarding the errors, you are supposed to be fine. :)

Hi!

Northwestern University

USC Annenberg

Washington University

UW Madison

University of Maryland

McGill University

Hi elvans! I've applied to a few on this list (the first three) and heard absolutely nothing.  I'm not expecting much until February...I'm scheduling my panic attack for after 2/1.  Haha.

The transcripts were University of Colorado - Boulder. The department took unofficial ones I emailed them today and told me to send official ones to the graduate school asap. I actually think that might have been my error after chatting with the admissions people. If I understand them correctly, they do not take unofficial ones even prior to being accepted, so that is probably what happened.

The letters of recommendation were both from University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill. Both of my professors confirmed that my eyes had not deceived me when I checked prior to the application deadline. Both were allowed to resend them.

I found both errors just by checking the application portals to see if any decisions had been made for me. I had checked all of my applications in late November, when I finished them, and all of them were complete at the time. No idea what happened between the past week and then that stuff wasn't included anymore.

The transcripts were University of Colorado - Boulder. The department took unofficial ones I emailed them today and told me to send official ones to the graduate school asap. I actually think that might have been my error after chatting with the admissions people. If I understand them correctly, they do not take unofficial ones even prior to being accepted, so that is probably what happened.

The letters of recommendation were both from University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill. Both of my professors confirmed that my eyes had not deceived me when I checked prior to the application deadline. Both were allowed to resend them.

I found both errors just by checking the application portals to see if any decisions had been made for me. I had checked all of my applications in late November, when I finished them, and all of them were complete at the time. No idea what happened between the past week and then that stuff wasn't included anymore.

For the Colorado one, it looks like an indication of accepting to me =P Congrats!

For UNC, as long as they let you fix it, I think you are good.

Don't think these two of the errors will screw up your applications.

Hi!

Northwestern University

USC Annenberg

Washington University

UW Madison

University of Maryland

McGill University

Hi Elvan, I have also applied to Northwestern, UIUC, and UW-Madison. I have not heard anything from any of those schools, but you would do well to clarify which programs you chose. UW-Madison has Comm Arts which itself has four divisions as well as Mass Comm, which is where I applied there. Northwestern has Rhetoric and Public Culture (my choice), Media, Technology, and Society, Information Systems (name might be a little off there), as well as Radio-Television-Film. University of Illinois has a Department of Communication as well as a Department of Communication & Media. UIUC's setup is particularly puzzling to me, but I applied to the former.

Now one of my recommenders sending me screenshots of her submission confirmations doesn't sound so crazy. FWIW, Colorado does require official transcripts beforehand as I had some confusion about that too. It's written down somewhere, but isn't as obvious as it probably should be. 

wb.o make sure you double check the major listed. I just did a search of Chapel Hill & Communication and saw that a majority of the responses for just Communication or Communication Studies were Jan15-March. I'd hold out hope for a bit longer.

I checked the application portal just now and I haven't gotten any sort of update. I emailed one of the office staff on Wednesday of this past week because there was a problem with the applyyourself portal on my application and due to the context of the conversation, I am left believing that they are still making acceptance decisions.

Okay. 

Edited by wb.o

Hi - new here!

I just heard back from USC Annenberg PhD last night about paid visit and an interesting letter that accompanied it. Not sure what to think if anyone has insights? It didn't mention anything about an interview being conducted during the visit, but maybe I should prepare for it in case.

Haven't heard back from any other schools I applied to:

- Penn Annenberg

- Northwestern (MTS)

- UWisconsin-Madison (MA)

- Washington State University

hey leblebleb7,

I got the same invitation for USC Annenberg. It sounds like a meet&greet with faculty and students, but I honestly don't know if there's gonna be also some formal interviewing.

does anyone know what to expect?

also, how many people do you think they've invited?

good luck to all with the waiting -- definitely killing me over here.

Just heard from Penn State and am flying over for visit days.  :)   Just excited to see I made somebody's short-list! Anybody else going??  

had an interview with them, but haven't heard from them since then......

guess that i am rejected? ugh....

Congrats!!!!

Congrats to everyone who has heard news.  I'm a tad envious of the lot who got USC invites... 

I also got an invite to the PSU Communications (I believe there are two Com depts/colleges so that may be a cause of confusion) - Open House, looking forward to it.  In addition, within the same hour as that news I received word of a phone intereview at Cornell with a POI.  Needless to say it's going to be a nerve-wracking weekend / week / month / season.