Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2014--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Hi - new here!

I just heard back from USC Annenberg PhD last night about paid visit and an interesting letter that accompanied it. Not sure what to think if anyone has insights? It didn't mention anything about an interview being conducted during the visit, but maybe I should prepare for it in case.

Haven't heard back from any other schools I applied to:

- Penn Annenberg

- Northwestern (MTS)

- UWisconsin-Madison (MA)

- Washington State University

hey leblebleb7,

I got the same invitation for USC Annenberg. It sounds like a meet&greet with faculty and students, but I honestly don't know if there's gonna be also some formal interviewing.

does anyone know what to expect?

also, how many people do you think they've invited?

good luck to all with the waiting -- definitely killing me over here.

Oh God USC sent out invites already? I guess I should be saying goodbye to my top choice :(

hey leblebleb7,

I got the same invitation for USC Annenberg. It sounds like a meet&greet with faculty and students, but I honestly don't know if there's gonna be also some formal interviewing.

does anyone know what to expect?

also, how many people do you think they've invited?

good luck to all with the waiting -- definitely killing me over here.

I think you'll just hang with us! Looking forward to meeting you people. Let me know if you have questions although I can't say much about the visit cause I wasn't invited :D 

Which leads me to my next point. Don't give up on USC just yet, VioletAyame!

Edited by Duna

Thanks everyone for the supportive words

Congrats!! That's so exciting :) Which department did you apply to?

Communication Studies

Congrats! Great program and IIRC you'll be getting a nice, long-term guarantee funding-wise.

Congrats! It's a fantastic program! Just curious, what is your research interest?

new media, race and representation, the public sphere, identity, subaltern studies and cultural studies. Specifically how the media is being used to form and mediate identities.

Sincerely hope that everyone gets the news they want to hear sooner rather than later!

UIC just sent me ANOTHER automated email about potential missing credentials RE their Recommender Rating form - last time this happened a few weeks ago I called, found out it was a departmental thing, got in touch with their coordinator, who told me they were missing one of my recommender letters and another recommender's raiting form, so I got in touch with them and they CCd me on the emails to the department to satisfy the requirements. That was over a week ago. Maybe the system is borked?

PS - Obligatory "waiting sucks." Congrats to those who have had some answers so far! No one has heard from my schools yet tho... although I thought about some of the others!

Edited by natebassett

Regarding both UIUC posters.

I haven't gotten that email, checking my application portal all of my stuff is still there, but I did have a problem with two of my LORs getting deleted for UNC, which I believe uses the same system. Those professors were able to just resubmit the letters.

I have not heard any updates from any of the six I applied to including UIUC. I don't think Utah has made any decisions yet judging from a conversation I had with Kent Ono a couple days ago, although he's not on the committee so I may be wrong.

Well . . . back to doubting myself!

I think you'll just hang with us! Looking forward to meeting you people. Let me know if you have questions although I can't say much about the visit cause I wasn't invited :D

Which leads me to my next point. Don't give up on USC just yet, VioletAyame!

Ah thank you so much for that Duna. If you don't mind me asking, when did you net notified last year?

I am glad I am not the only one worrying about not getting an invite to USC's visiting weekend. Thanks so much, Duna!! Hope restored! Good luck to everyone who is waiting. I did email USC two nights ago and they responded that all decisions have been made and to expect a letter soon.

Edited by UC2011

Quick update for anyone who applied to CU-Boulder. They sent out a mass email this morning to just let people know they are starting to look at applications now. Decisions should come pretty soon.

Quick update for anyone who applied to CU-Boulder. They sent out a mass email this morning to just let people know they are starting to look at applications now. Decisions should come pretty soon.

Such a pretty place... didn't make my list but I still wish it had. 

Hey there! I figured it time for me to stop by and introduce myself. I'm a first-time applicant waiting to hear back from many of the same schools as y'all (UT, Wisconsin, both Annenbergs, CU-Boulder, UGA and LSU).

Has anyone heard anything from UT? The last two years they've started sending out decisions around this time.

I'll be at the USC weekend and look forward to meeting some of you there. Anyway, good luck to everyone.

Just got accepted to the University of Kentucky! Exciting to be accepted somewhere.  :)

I'm waiting to hear from UT and CU-Boulder too.  Nothing yet!  And thank you, Duna, for renewing the hope for those of us not invited to USC's visit day!   

Good luck to all of you!

Just got accepted to the University of Kentucky! Exciting to be accepted somewhere.  :)

I'm waiting to hear from UT and CU-Boulder too.  Nothing yet!  And thank you, Duna, for renewing the hope for those of us not invited to USC's visit day!   

Good luck to all of you!

Congrats fandom!

Are you referring to Comm. department? 

I applied to School of Journalism and Mass Comm. and haven't received anything.

Also -- noticed two rejections posted from UWashington (Seattle). One was MA applicant, other was PhD. 

I applied to MA/PhD program and haven't heard anything. Just checked the online app and it's unchanged. Seems strange that a few stray rejections would come out before anything else.

Good luck to all of you!

Congrats !  A really good friend of mine goes there and she's both an awesome person and quite happy !

@JLRC - Yes the Comm dept. I sent a text asking my colleague asking if she had heard back from Washington yet because I saw those last night. I assume those two posters might have been in the first round of cuts and they haven't emailed everyone yet.

Edited by Meanyus