Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2014--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

There was an acceptance for Penn Annenberg in the results section a couple days ago stating that they had contacted all they had accepted. However, I just tried searching for it for you, and I can't seem to find it (despite trying several different search term combinations). Maybe it was someone trolling us.

Congratulations on the Michigan acceptance. How exciting!

Did anyone else apply to Northwestern's Screen Cultures program? I've seen invitations extended to other Northwestern Comm/Media programs, but not this one yet.

Oh ok, I guess I missed that....  I think ultimately I'm going by their website that says they don't review til Feb - mostly because it makes me feel better!!

Thanks, yes, it is, Northwestern, Mich and UPenn are my top choices so I'm pleased to have 1.5 out of 3 :)

There was an acceptance for Penn Annenberg in the results section a couple days ago stating that they had contacted all they had accepted. However, I just tried searching for it for you, and I can't seem to find it (despite trying several different search term combinations). Maybe it was someone trolling us.

Did anyone else apply to Northwestern's Screen Cultures program? I've seen invitations extended to other Northwestern Comm/Media programs, but not this one yet.

I definitely saw it a few days ago but don't see it now. Interesting. I wonder if it would be appropriate for me to ask one of my undergrad advisors who is on the Penn decision committee........

Oh ok, I guess I missed that....  I think ultimately I'm going by their website that says they don't review til Feb - mostly because it makes me feel better!!

Thanks, yes, it is, Northwestern, Mich and UPenn are my top choices so I'm pleased to have 1.5 out of 3 :)

Will you be at Northwestern from Mar 6-8??

You can see throughout past results that people often misattribute the Annenberg name to various schools, not to mention the more frequent mixing up of UPenn vs USC

Where was this info? Their admissions faq says they review in feb, so I guess I've missed something, can you give a link?

for the record, I've had nos from UCSB, USC, Iowa, a solid yes from Michigan and a shortlist/invitation to visit from Northwestern (RPC)...

Congrats on the Michigan acceptance...will you be going to the Welcome weekend?

You can see throughout past results that people often misattribute the Annenberg name to various schools, not to mention the more frequent mixing up of UPenn vs USC

yep, definitely, i applied to both but have only heard from USC. The UPenn website still says they review in feb.

I definitely saw it a few days ago but don't see it now. Interesting. I wonder if it would be appropriate for me to ask one of my undergrad advisors who is on the Penn decision committee........

Will you be at Northwestern from Mar 6-8??

Yes! I'm excited for it!

Congrats on the Michigan acceptance...will you be going to the Welcome weekend?

Yes, I'm planning to, looking forward to it!

FYI for those of you who applied to CU-Boulder in the Department of Journalism & Mass Comm.  I've contacted the department and the selection committee will be meeting next week, with offers most likely made by next Thursday or Friday 2/13-2/14.  However, there's always a waitlist, as well.  In case any of you guys have applied there.

Got my official USC rejection letter over the weekend. Between that and my beloved Broncos taking a nap during the Super Bowl... I'm ready for another week of quality waiting time. 

FYI for those of you who applied to CU-Boulder in the Department of Journalism & Mass Comm.  I've contacted the department and the selection committee will be meeting next week, with offers most likely made by next Thursday or Friday 2/13-2/14.  However, there's always a waitlist, as well.  In case any of you guys have applied there.

Thanks for the info! I've applied there.

I am new to the grad cafe.  Has anyone heard from Rutgers?  PhD in Communication and Information for Fall 2014?

Welcome.

Have you checked the results page? Click results search, type program name and see what comes up. It will at least give you a historical indicator when those decisions will be made.

Welcome.

Have you checked the results page? Click results search, type program name and see what comes up. It will at least give you a historical indicator when those decisions will be made.

I have, and historically, decisions have been made in mid February to March. I am just very impatient and wanted to see if anyone had any insight.  :) 

Just got rejected from UNC Chapel Hill - I got an email saying the decision was available on the application website, when I logged in there was a rejection letter from the grad school dean.

It's all good I guess... I didn't really want to live in NC anyway, I'm too much of a Yankee. But still troubles me about my chances elsewhere.

In good news, I heard a few days ago from one of my recommenders that another one of my schools was nominating me for a fellowship... we will see I suppose.

Just got rejected from UNC Chapel Hill - I got an email saying the decision was available on the application website, when I logged in there was a rejection letter from the grad school dean.

It's all good I guess... I didn't really want to live in NC anyway, I'm too much of a Yankee. But still troubles me about my chances elsewhere.

In good news, I heard a few days ago from one of my recommenders that another one of my schools was nominating me for a fellowship... we will see I suppose.

Care to share? Noticed we have three in common, depending on individual programs at those schools. 

Care to share? Noticed we have three in common, depending on individual programs at those schools. 

Dunno if it matters if I keep it a secret, but seeing as they didn't inform me, I'll just say it's not one of those three (Wash/Madison/Northwestern)

I applied to Comm Arts at Madison and MTS at Northwestern, so the only overlap we have is UWashington.

Edited by natebassett

Sorry to hear that... :(

serj93.gif

all my applications are still pending...

Thanks Nate. I do have a few bottles of wine handy at home. Got to get more liquor though.

Got my official USC rejection letter over the weekend. Between that and my beloved Broncos taking a nap during the Super Bowl... I'm ready for another week of quality waiting time. 

I feel you on the first one. The second one, even though I'm not a football fan I'm no stranger to witnessing my beloved team's spectacular failure. You win some, you lose some I guess. In my mind that pain is kind of a rite of passage to become a true fan. Anyway, best of luck for this week and many weeks ahead!

I'm waiting for mine, and one from U Penn too. On one hand it will end all the waiting. On the other hand, this app season will end very early for me. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it means I have to switch from "applying" mentality to "actually preparing for grad school" mentality, and I'm not sure if I'm ready for that.

It seems that we've had a few new members over the weekend. Welcome, congrats and good luck!

Accepted at Ohio University, Wayne State, University of Iowa, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Committed to UNL's Ph.D. in Communication Studies beginning Fall 2014 on full teaching assistantship. 

I had a coworker get the rejection notice from from Chapel Hill today. I personally did not get a letter so I want to tell myself that I made it past the first cut. I am telling myself that my letter of the alphabet is just later than hers. :-(

I got rejection notices from Georgia State and NC-Chapel Hill. So far that's two acceptances, three rejections, and three more still to be heard. At least things are progressing relatively fast. 

Accepted at Ohio University, Wayne State, University of Iowa, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Committed to UNL's Ph.D. in Communication Studies beginning Fall 2014 on full teaching assistantship. 

Congrats! UNL was my first acceptance this season. Are you going to attend the campus visit on the 21st?

Edited by Austin F

Noticed Indiana's Communication & Culture department started going out with their acceptances. I haven't heard anything, and it seems that my professor was a few days late in submitting my LOR. So...I'm not anticipating good things from there.

Noticed Indiana's Communication & Culture department started going out with their acceptances. I haven't heard anything, and it seems that my professor was a few days late in submitting my LOR. So...I'm not anticipating good things from there.

Same! I'm guessing no news is bad news :(

I got rejection notices from Georgia State and NC-Chapel Hill. So far that's two acceptances, three rejections, and three more still to be heard. At least things are progressing relatively fast. 

Congrats! UNL was my first acceptance this season. Are you going to attend the campus visit on the 21st?

Congrats to you as well! Yessir, flying in from Michigan for the weekend. Do you plan on attending?