Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2014--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

FYI Stanford rejects - I spoke with one of the faculty members on the phone in November who couldn't advise me to apply to their program - one of their prominent faculty passed away very recently and I was told this kind of threw the Comm department into a state of confusion, and the person said they weren't sure what things would be like in the near-future. I didn't apply but hopefully this will make some of you feel better about rejections. 

Also about UWashington - Just checked and mine is still being reviewed too. Odd to see rejections out already.

Edited by natebassett

So I just heard from Washington state university about a paid visit next week!! I am excited but in a huge dilemma as they want me there from 2/4-2/8 and then I have the USC event from 2/12-2/16 the week after....

Only problem is I am a full time employee at a firm and can't afford to take that many days off/would need to have a really, really good excuse to miss basically 2 weeks of work.

I realize that not being able to go to the WSU event will probably jeopardize my chances. It looks like a typical recruitment weekend as he noted 25 ppl were invited. Does anyone have any insights/advice?

I have ready confirmed to the USC event and will be attending that one for certain.

So I just heard from Washington state university about a paid visit next week!! I am excited but in a huge dilemma as they want me there from 2/4-2/8 and then I have the USC event from 2/12-2/16 the week after....

Only problem is I am a full time employee at a firm and can't afford to take that many days off/would need to have a really, really good excuse to miss basically 2 weeks of work.

I realize that not being able to go to the WSU event will probably jeopardize my chances. It looks like a typical recruitment weekend as he noted 25 ppl were invited. Does anyone have any insights/advice?

I have ready confirmed to the USC event and will be attending that one for certain.

Congrats! That's really exciting. 4 days for the visit weekend, that can be quite tough. What I usually see people do is to contact the 2nd school and ask if you can attend it partially (depending on how many days you can reasonably take off and what the core activities are) or if you can schedule individual visit later on. I heard that most departments are receptive and accommodating regarding such request - it might be more common than you think! Anyway, good luck sorting it out and congrats again!

FYI Stanford rejects - I spoke with one of the faculty members on the phone in November who couldn't advise me to apply to their program - one of their prominent faculty passed away very recently and I was told this kind of threw the Comm department into a state of confusion, and the person said they weren't sure what things would be like in the near-future. I didn't apply but hopefully this will make some of you feel better about rejections. 

Also about UWashington - Just checked and mine is still being reviewed too. Odd to see rejections out already.

I just recently visited Stanford campus and completely fell in love with it. I was regretting my decision not to apply there until I read this. That is very unfortunate! Thank you for shedding some light on the program!

Congrats! as they say, those are the problems you want to have...

WSU is in some beautiful country. I thought about it but I think I decided it was too remote - thought I wouldn't mind working out there some day.

Just got accepted to the University of Kentucky! Exciting to be accepted somewhere.  :)

I'm waiting to hear from UT and CU-Boulder too.  Nothing yet!  And thank you, Duna, for renewing the hope for those of us not invited to USC's visit day!   

Good luck to all of you!

Congratulations!!! Such a fantastic program. As a Kentuckian, I will say that the Bluegrass State is a cool, beautiful place to live. The countryside just on the outskirts of Lexington is stunning. My professors strongly encouraged me to apply to UK, but I opted not to because I have the worst case of wanderlust right now. That, and I've completed both my BA and MA here.

Just received an acceptance phone call from UCSB! So much for all the suspense the last few days :D

Congrats! That has to help relieve some of the tension of waiting. :D

Is it UCSB's Film and Media Studies program or the Communication one? (I ask because I have not heard so much as a peep regarding the Comm program since I applied.)

Just received an acceptance phone call from UCSB! So much for all the suspense the last few days :D

Congrats, Violet!  That's awesome!

Congratulations!!! Such a fantastic program. As a Kentuckian, I will say that the Bluegrass State is a cool, beautiful place to live. The countryside just on the outskirts of Lexington is stunning. My professors strongly encouraged me to apply to UK, but I opted not to because I have the worst case of wanderlust right now. That, and I've completed both my BA and MA here.

Thanks, KentuckyCurls!  I'm excited!  It sounds like a beautiful place.  (Also, it seems that you and I have swapped schools - I did my BA & MA both at Temple University! haha)  :)

Thanks, KentuckyCurls!  I'm excited!  It sounds like a beautiful place.  (Also, it seems that you and I have swapped schools - I did my BA & MA both at Temple University! haha)  :)

Oops. Didn't mean to mislead. I've actually done my BA and MA at private schools in the area-- not UK.

Regarding UT Austin, I'm wondering how/if the recent $50 million gift from the Moody Foundation ($13 million of which is earmarked for graduate student recruitment) will impact decision-making this year.

Congrats! That's really exciting. 4 days for the visit weekend, that can be quite tough. What I usually see people do is to contact the 2nd school and ask if you can attend it partially (depending on how many days you can reasonably take off and what the core activities are) or if you can schedule individual visit later on. I heard that most departments are receptive and accommodating regarding such request - it might be more common than you think! Anyway, good luck sorting it out and congrats again!

Thanks! And congrats on UCSB! So I think the events are 2/5-2/7...and they'll fly us back home on 2/8? Not sure. It's just I happen to be on the east coast so they wanted to fly me over the night before. When I expressed my concern about work, they said they can fly me in late on 2/5 instead so I'll come in sometime in the afternoon....but still missing 5.5 days of work in the next 2 weeks with such last minute notice is not going to fly well, especially with all the snow days we've been getting. Yikes. 

Congrats! as they say, those are the problems you want to have...

WSU is in some beautiful country. I thought about it but I think I decided it was too remote - thought I wouldn't mind working out there some day.

Thanks! Looking forward to visiting WSU even though it'll cause problems work-wise :)

Congrats on everyone who have gotten acceptances!! More to be coming soon for the rest of us hopefully.

Thanks everyone! At the moment I'm just excited to have the option to stay on the West coast. Have not lived a day with snow in my life :D

Congrats! That has to help relieve some of the tension of waiting. :D

Is it UCSB's Film and Media Studies program or the Communication one? (I ask because I have not heard so much as a peep regarding the Comm program since I applied.)

It's the Comm one I'm afraid. I was told their committee finalized their decision last Thursday, but I also know some other applicants who were not invited to the weekend are still being contacted, so I don't think you should give up yet. I have a feeling you would get a straight answer now if you contact them. They've been pretty quick in this process and very friendly in my experience.

Soon...it will be February. February is when things get real.

Until March...which is when things get real again.

But then there's April...when things get really real and you actually have to pick, if you are so lucky as to have choices -- of course, there are choices to be made even if you only get into one program or even zero programs.

I was emailed by them and told I was accepted. This was about a week ago.

Just got invited by my POI to visit northwestern!!!!

Work is going to kill me.....

Congrats guys! leb^3, I almost applied to the MTS program too, but the app fee deterred me :P What weekend is it gonna be?

On the other hand, USC rejection letter... This is kind of obvious, but I just want to make sure - hellofandom, was it a letter or an email?

Congrats guys! leb^3, I almost applied to the MTS program too, but the app fee deterred me :P What weekend is it gonna be?

On the other hand, USC rejection letter... This is kind of obvious, but I just want to make sure - hellofandom, was it a letter or an email?

It was a real letter, Violet.  (LOL actual paper feels so 5 years ago hahaha.)

Just got my official USC rejection letter. Knew it was coming, but it still kinda sucks. Anyhow, I guess the first round of rejections have been made!

Leblebleb7- Good luck at Northwestern!!!! :)

ok, NOW I'm jealous. Congrats!

Ahh thanks guys! I haven't gotten official acceptance to anywhere though so I'm jealous of those who have. Haha.

It's 3/6-3/8....which means Penn Annenberg decision will be out by then.............

Edited by leblebleb7