Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2014--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Getting super anxious about my remaining notifications...! It could easily be a few hours from now or a couple of weeks from now for both of my remaining schools... definitely nerve-wracking and distracting!

for UGA, I just tried calling and had a minor panic attack when I was told I wasn't in the system. It looks like Debbie Sickle is for the mass comm department. I think Jennifer Samp is for comm studies, she is listed as graduate coordinator. I tried calling (706/542-3246), but no one picked up, so I'm going to try back later today.

Edited by Kaitlyn721

for UGA, I just tried calling and had a minor panic attack when I was told I wasn't in the system. It looks like Debbie Sickle is for the mass comm department. I think Jennifer Samp is for comm studies, she is listed as graduate coordinator. I tried calling (706/542-3246), but no one picked up, so I'm going to try back later today.

I'm sorry for the confusion. I now realize that this forum is made up of both speech/rhetoric communication dept. applicants and those for journalism and mass comm depts. (on the case of UGA, this would consist of applicants to the Grady College of J and Mass Comm vs. the Communication Studies Dept. for the PhD. If I am in the wrong forum, please re-direct me.

Not at all, you are certainly in the right place. For those who are applying for uga comm studies, I received this email back after I asked the status of my admission:

We have extended an initial round of offers for some individuals to join the PhD or MA graduate program. However, we have a “rolling admissions” process and will likely be making additional offers in April.

Edited by Kaitlyn721

At 3:15 this afternoon, I got an e-mail saying I could check my Georgia Tech application status after 5. I checked it right away, and all it said that a decision had been made.

From 5 to 5:45 I refreshed the web page pretty obsessively, but I didn't see any new information.

Then I let it sit for a couple of hours and distracted myself away from it. I went back to the page, and a decision letter PDF was available.

It wouldn't download on the first try, but on the second attempt... an acceptance letter appeared!

I'm quite ecstatic! The game studies faculty there is amazing... unless UB offers me something completely unexpected, I have to imagine I'm going to Atlanta!

Does anyone who went to the Northwestern visit weekend have any insight as to when decisions will be released?

They told us that the faculty will probably meet to make decisions this week or next, but it could be end of March to when the decisions are actually released since it has to go through the grad school.

We were told that there are fewer seats than the number of us who were invited to visit/interviewed  :wacko: I met people from all the Comm depts as well as other non-comm dept interviewees at Northwestern during the past weekend, so it seems like it was a massive interview weekend.

They told us that the faculty will probably meet to make decisions this week or next, but it could be end of March to when the decisions are actually released since it has to go through the grad school.

We were told that there are fewer seats than the number of us who were invited to visit/interviewed :wacko: I met people from all the Comm depts as well as other non-comm dept interviewees at Northwestern during the past weekend, so it seems like it was a massive interview weekend.

Certainly disappointing to hear. I applied to a program that's jointly offered through the Comm department. I've seen some rejections for the program over a week ago. Didn't get one myself, but now I'll be expecting one since I wasn't invited and it seems like they'll be picking solely from those invited.

I'm waiting to hear back from the Communications MA program at Simon Fraser University. They told me last time I asked in February it'd be about mid-march, but I've sent off another email to inquire because I am impatient :(

Has anyone actually been rejected from NW yet? Why wouldn't they reject people who weren't invited to the interview weekend?

I got my rejection from Northwestern last week. Though I must clarify that I am an international student and thus would not have been invited to campus visit either way. Another friend of mine who is also an international student had a phone interview. I think Northwestern has already short-listed their list of admits..now its just a matter of getting the formal letter!

Edited by Rwin

I got my rejection from Northwestern last week. Though I must clarify that I am an international student and thus would not have been invited to campus visit either way. Another friend of mine who is also an international student had a phone interview. I think Northwestern has already short-listed their list of admits..now its just a matter of getting the formal letter!

Can I ask what program you applied for?

Checked my NW status just now and found a rejection notice... letter was worded probably the most politely of any one I've gotten... doesn't matter much because I also got a rejection email from MIT this morning. Which means UIC is where I'll be going. Luckily they made me a good offer. 

Dang man, I  still haven't gotten anything from Northwestern. I wasn't invited last weekend, so I'm sure I am rejected, but I wish they would just put me out of their misery!!

In hopes someone new will read this: Is anyone here planning to turn down funding from Wake Forest?

@Rwin Thanks for your reply. I wanted to see if we applied for the same program (we didn't). Sorry about your results.

@Eileen I'm in the same boat. I think the program I applied for at NW just hasn't released all decisions yet.

We were told that there are fewer seats than the number of us who were invited to visit/interviewed  :wacko: I met people from all the Comm depts as well as other non-comm dept interviewees at Northwestern during the past weekend, so it seems like it was a massive interview weekend.

I got the call yesterday (Friday 14th) to say I'd been admitted to Northwestern RPC - it was a very nervous week because as you said there were fewer seats than those invited, so I spent most of this week in a state of anxiety.   I had my official admit letter last night as well - so I guess once the decision is made it's relatively quick.

I got the call yesterday (Friday 14th) to say I'd been admitted to Northwestern RPC - it was a very nervous week because as you said there were fewer seats than those invited, so I spent most of this week in a state of anxiety. I had my official admit letter last night as well - so I guess once the decision is made it's relatively quick.

Congrats on your acceptance!

Has anyone heard from Pitt yet? Still no change in my application status.

My SO was emailed that he is now #1 on their wait list (from previous 3rd) and has good reason to anticipate an offer in the next few weeks (hopefully!). I have still heard nothing on my status though, just anticipating my rejection at this point. 

WritingTrouble - I can't help you on that front. Will you be making it out to the recruitment visit next week?

No, I wasn't aware of any visit.  I have to teach anyway. I am assuming the first round funded students got the invite? Obviously if funding doesn't come my way I'll have to go somewhere else.