Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2014--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Respond by saying thanks and that you are interested in the program.  I don't think there is anything to be nervous about, if anything, I imagine they would be more concerned about not hearing anything from you.

As for the three guaranteed years, I would try and inquire about how plentiful and likely the extended funding opportunities are.  Many programs have no issues extending / finding funding for an additional diss year, but some are stricter with their timelines.  You've just gotta ask.

Good luck and congrats.

Accepted to North Carolina State's "Communication, Rhetoric, and Digital Media" program. Full funding (TA-ship)! They sent the e-mail at 9:00pm! Huzzah!

Congrats!!

It's official: rejection from Brown. Congrats to those who got in. I received an e-mail to check the application website.

If it's any succour, see above. All we need is one

Congrats!!

If it's any succour, see above. All we need is one

Yes, that is true! I haven't been able to stop thinking about my on-campus interviews as well though. Once all of that (and my MA thesis) is behind me (by early April), then the reality of taking the plunge into PhD-dom next year will hit me.

Edited by deleonj

Hey Delonj,

I too was accepted by NC State but I only received an email from the graduate school, not the department itself. Did they mention anything about a visit weekend? How much the funding is etc? I was going to call in a bit when my son goes to lay down for a nap and it's a bit quieter around the house.

Thanks!

Edit: Just got an email from the department after posting this. I have to wait to hear about funding. Also the case for Utah for me. Always the bridesmaid!

Edited by Meanyus

Hey Delonj,

I too was accepted by NC State but I only received an email from the graduate school, not the department itself. Did they mention anything about a visit weekend? How much the funding is etc? I was going to call in a bit when my son goes to lay down for a nap and it's a bit quieter around the house.

Thanks!

Hey Meanyus: Someone from the department emailed me directly. I assume they're sending these e-mails out individually. I received the e-mail from the graduate school today. Your e-mail from the department must be arriving sometime today, I would imagine. There is a visit weekend March 27-28.

After some stereotypically anxious investigations on the matter:

NYU MCC decisions should go out in "early March", from what I've been told.

I was also told that Georgia Tech's Digital Media program is hoping to send out PhD decisions "within the next week or so".

Won fellowship at OSU, which is great news. It was already at the top of my current list of acceptances, but it's up there even further now. If my SO could just get accepted off the waitlist to their English PhD program...

Won fellowship at OSU, which is great news. It was already at the top of my current list of acceptances, but it's up there even further now. If my SO could just get accepted off the waitlist to their English PhD program...

Hey I just received the fellowship decision too. Did they send you the email about their visit weekend as well? I want to go, but it seems their $250 cap on travel expense won't be enough to cover a ticket from CA!

Hey I just received the fellowship decision too. Did they send you the email about their visit weekend as well? I want to go, but it seems their $250 cap on travel expense won't be enough to cover a ticket from CA!

I got that too, and I'm thinking I'll go. I can probably drive...it is about 9 hours away, a tad longer than home, but I think the $250 would cover my gas costs. It is so likely to be the place I go that I was probably going to go on my own dime if they didn't have a visit. It's obviously a lot easier to pull off driving from my middle-America location than it is for you from CA. 

I got that too, and I'm thinking I'll go. I can probably drive...it is about 9 hours away, a tad longer than home, but I think the $250 would cover my gas costs. It is so likely to be the place I go that I was probably going to go on my own dime if they didn't have a visit. It's obviously a lot easier to pull off driving from my middle-America location than it is for you from CA. 

9 hours? Wow they should pay you extra for that! May I ask wouldn't it be easier flying there?

Just got accepted into South Florida with full funding! It feels great to finally have somewhere.

Congrats! That's awesome!

Illinois (Urbana) acceptance!  :D and  :o .

deleonj, you've had a lot of news lately. Congrats on all the acceptances! Sorry about Brown, but UIUC must have swept all the sorrow away ;)