2014 Applicants

MattDest

There have been past and more recent cases where students check the status online and discover a result, as can be seen in the results listings. But I share your skepticism which is why I ask.

I'm not applying to philosophy programs, my philosophy study was in the past. I'm applying to social science programs.  I am following philosophy this year as I have an interest in the outcome of this admission season for other reasons.

Yeah, for the most part. Though why Emory? It's mostly French philosophy and Pragmatism. Is it because of your interests in Phenomenology and "Existentialism"? Do you lean French or German?

To be honest, I haven't had that much exposure to French Continental, but I do love Sartre; and Flynn seems to be one of the few people still writing about him who in the U.S. I read a few of Patterson's articles, and those coupled with Hartle's willingness to work philosophically on Augustine got me to apply. (It's so hard to find Augustine scholars who aren't in Theology/Religion departments — and I really want to get out of those.) There's also this guy Kevin Corrigan who's part of their LIBERAL STUDIES program who does everything I've been doing for my M.A. — i.e., mapping out Antiquity's influence on Late Antiquity. Overall, I was drawn to how eclectic Emory is, how accommodating they seem to be with respect to people whose interests don't fit so neatly into particular disciplines.

There have been past and more recent cases where students check the status online and discover a result, as can be seen in the results listings. But I share your skepticism which is why I ask.

I'm not applying to philosophy programs, my philosophy study was in the past. I'm applying to social science programs.  I am following philosophy this year as I have an interest in the outcome of this admission season for other reasons.

That's an unfortunate precedent to set... I don't want to add logging into my applications into my obsessive routine!  :rolleyes:

I didn't mean to suggest that you were somehow intruding, I was just curious based on your profile. I appreciate the helpful posts. 

On a random note, I once made the mistake of signing up for academia.edu once and it sends me emails when people google my name and click on the profile. It's happened a couple times over the past few days, and I suspect it's because of applications, so people ARE googling your name with applications! 

On a random note, I once made the mistake of signing up for academia.edu once and it sends me emails when people google my name and click on the profile. It's happened a couple times over the past few days, and I suspect it's because of applications, so people ARE googling your name with applications! 

Creepy! Thanks for the heads up. Good thing the first thing that comes up with my name is the Philosophy Dpt prize  :D

Creepy! Thanks for the heads up. Good thing the first thing that comes up with my name is the Philosophy Dpt prize  :D

Mine was never put online so you can't find it :( - but a list of graduates with me included does come up so at least they know I actually have a BA lol... 

Mine was never put online so you can't find it :( - but a list of graduates with me included does come up so at least they know I actually have a BA lol... 

haha, yeah, maybe now's a good time to make my twitter private lol. everything looks innocuous to me... but who knows.

Interesting. Appcomms will certainly know that I'm a white male now. 

You can set your preferences such that it only sends you a once a week "recap email", although you can check your analytics anytime. Although, I think many academics are hip to the fact that if they click through to your profile, it registers. It's quite useful to have a public, professional presence online, including an academia.edu page. And to philosophe: perhaps keep two twitter accounts: one private, or anonymous, for friends, and one public, for professional purposes?

And to philosophe: perhaps keep two twitter accounts: one private, or anonymous, for friends, and one public, for professional purposes?

Deleted my last name off the account. Problem solved (I hope). I keep it public because I follow politics closely and I want my tweets to be picked up. 

I have a personal website for philosophy and I have been checking Google Analytics rather obsessively. It's definitely a good idea to Google yourself and clean-up any questionable online presences you may have. Make sure you FB profile picture isn't a keg-stand or something similar (although, with the way some philosophers drink... it may not be a bad thing entirely!). 

I have a personal website for philosophy and I have been checking Google Analytics rather obsessively. It's definitely a good idea to Google yourself and clean-up any questionable online presences you may have. Make sure you FB profile picture isn't a keg-stand or something similar (although, with the way some philosophers drink... it may not be a bad thing entirely!). 

That last hit on your website was from me... (sorry I had to look it up)

Hi all, just discovered this thread. Hang in there! (Even though the more I read on the matter, the more frustrated and pessimistic I get) 

Same here, Shulie.  

Welp, it's Friday past 5. I'm going to try to stay off gradcafe and email for the weekend.  Even though I know there will be no news, it will still be tough to break the habit...

Have a great weekend everyone :)